jojo_angelov

4GB SD Card image to 16GB SD Card - only 4GB storage shown

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi everyone. So I created my Raspberry pi setup and everything was great. I originally used a 4gb card and I made an image out of it. I then decided to write it to a 16gb sdcard since I needed some more space, but now I notice that the pi only recognizes the original 4gb space, and so the rest 12gb are pretty much not recognized anymore.
Is there anything I can do to expand the size of the image to utilize the 16gb sdcard?
It seems unnecessarily complicated to have to setup a whole new card if you want to expand the size.

Thanks guys!

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 4GB SD Card image to 16GB SD Card - only 4GB storage sho

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:19 pm

If it's a non-noobs setup from a foundation image then you should be able to use the expand rootfs option is raspi-config.

If you have a linux box available gparted should be able to resize the partitions.

theoscy

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:34 pm

Open terminal, type sudo raspi-config select expand roots
You could say my love for Linux is terminal ;)

DougieLawson

Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:08 pm

theoscy wrote:Open terminal, type sudo raspi-config select expand roots
That does not work for a NOOBS card.

For a NOOBS card you need to boot an alternative copy of Raspbian, mount your 16GB card in a USB SDCard reader and use parted or gparted to resize the extended partition and resize the ext4 partitions in that extended partition.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “General discussion”