joseph inegbenebor wrote:I have been asked to create a weather station for my A-level engineering project. I have decided to make a pi station, but I have no idea on what to do or how to start. I have watched several YouTube videos and looked at various websites like tinker forge and blogs but none of these have relayed important information on what I need to get a fully functional weather station. The aim of my project is to make a weather station that measures temperature, humidity, wind speed and wind direction. I have to complete the project by the 20th of April 2015 in order to get a grade. I would really need your support on carrying out this project. Help of any form will be greatly appreciated especially information on what I will need to make a pi weather station. Thank you.
First of all, Doug is (as always) right, you should give it a thought befor starting "doing" things..
This is also a nice part professors love
seen that i've all what you say connected to my pi, i can give you my experience
- Temperature and humidity: take a simple DHT22 sensor. There are also versions with already soldered pullups and capacitors, they are easier to use obviously
- Barometric pressure: BMP180 IIC sensor (this also gives temperature, if you need a double reading..)
- wind speed and wind direction: i bought a TX23 lacrosse sensor. quite easy to connect and use, the fun part is decoding the bitstream sent..
- i also have rain quantity sensor (a pluviometer) which is a simple contact that switches with rain.
The nice part is that you have a lot of different types of sensor:
- bmp180 is iic
- DHT22 is single line (but you can use it also with SPI)
- TX23 is another single line
- pluviometer is just a contact to be managed with interrupts
Now, in my case the PI is in home and sensor are outdoor, so i have not the problem of power, but i have the problem of cable lenght.
You probably will only create something that has to work only one time, so neither this is a problem..
Finally, the software part: what do you expect to do? i read sensors once every 5 minutes and log data. If you only have to show "instant" data, also database part is useless..