il_diavolo

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:54 pm

August departs in a couple of days! Should I spend the fifty quid I've saved for the "official" display on something available now or is the wait nearly over? :D

redhawk

Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Does the DSI port require software to get the screen working or does Linux detect this and makes it available as a secondary display adapter??

Richard S.

mikerr

Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:08 pm

Has the broadcom situation affected the display development ?
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:22 pm

It looks like it's just a matter of finishing up the remaining bits and peices. I can see Gordon working hard solving a rubiks cube finishing up the software.

As always in the world of software, it will be ready when it's ready, depending on how long it ends up taking.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:00 pm

I swear: if we hid those Rubiks' Cubes, the juggling clubs and the scooter, we'd have developed our own particle accelerator by now.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

W. H. Heydt

Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:18 pm

liz wrote:I swear: if we hid those Rubiks' Cubes, the juggling clubs and the scooter, we'd have developed our own particle accelerator by now.
How many TEV does it take to get Raspberry Pi collisions to generate Higgs Bosons?

mung

Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:08 pm

My guess is the software is the reason other screens have not been available, once the foundation releases dsi drivers for linux other screens will appear to fill in the gaps that the offical display does not cover.

http://hackaday.com/2014/08/19/a-mipi-d ... i-adapter/
http://www.dx.com/p/7-digital-touch-scr ... _98R_meLIV
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/101LCD ... -1586.html

It seems though that this will become and expensive way to buy a tablet just to get some extra gpio and linux, how long before the foundation release the rpi tablet pc with gpio or even better would be a google glass clone. :lol:

Please when do I get my tablets?

BillStephenson

Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:03 pm

liz wrote:I swear: if we hid those Rubiks' Cubes, the juggling clubs and the scooter, we'd have developed our own particle accelerator by now.
That's pretty durn funny Liz....

But I have to sympathize with those who write code. Some days the code just gushes out of you and everything makes sense and works and you're a genius. Other days you can even get a comment in your code to work and you're dumb as a rock. That's because writing code is the work of an artist, it's not just a science. Science can create a better paint brush, and a better canvas, but it cannot create a better painting.

And riding a scooter is a great way to recharge a coder, whatever you do, don't hide the scooter!!!

mikronauts

Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Good thing you don't have any Segway's!

(Otherwise we might not have the B+)
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

W. H. Heydt

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:15 am

BillStephenson wrote:
That's pretty durn funny Liz....

But I have to sympathize with those who write code. Some days the code just gushes out of you and everything makes sense and works and you're a genius. Other days you can even get a comment in your code to work and you're dumb as a rock. That's because writing code is the work of an artist, it's not just a science. Science can create a better paint brush, and a better canvas, but it cannot create a better painting.

And riding a scooter is a great way to recharge a coder, whatever you do, don't hide the scooter!!!
Art + Science --> Engineering.

But, then, I was an EECS major, so thinking of programming as an engineering discipline comes naturally to me.

gsh

Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 am

Not sure I agree, I failed my art exam when I was 12 (I had a paint fight in the middle and got sent out) and have never looked back... Mostly the Rubiks cube is there to keep my hands busy whilst my head does other stuff....

As for the display, there is no concrete date right now because manufacture needs to be fitted into place alongside everything else, but I'm taking it for EMC testing Monday so knowing that will definitely improve my guess on final release date.

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

Corneille

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:04 pm

gsh wrote:...but I'm taking it for EMC testing Monday...
I take it all went well?

NotARacistK

Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Any Size Detail, Price Detail and Prototype Photos/Videos?

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:10 pm

NotARacistK wrote:Any Size Detail, Price Detail and Prototype Photos/Videos?
http://raspi.tv/2014/raspberry-pi-offic ... pe-preview

MrWm

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:54 pm

I hope it comes out before October 30th, a DSI screen would save a lot of room for my project...
LOOK! A RAINBOW!!!

Jessie

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:03 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
NotARacistK wrote:Any Size Detail, Price Detail and Prototype Photos/Videos?
http://raspi.tv/2014/raspberry-pi-offic ... pe-preview
I have a project (or two) waiting for this thing. As always depending on price, but given the Foundation's track record I expect the price to be competitive. One is a portable computer crammed in a Wii U remote, and the other is a touch game selector for one of my arcade cabs.

ulix

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:28 pm

Is there any news right now? Would be happy to get some infos, because the last we heared 7 months back. :shock:
cheers

Alexander Brown

Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:58 pm

ulix wrote:Is there any news right now? Would be happy to get some infos, because the last we heared 7 months back. :shock:
cheers
Agreed and it would be good to have this available in time for Christmas or at least I sort of pre order IOU letter.
I am

ulix

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Well, I think at first it would be great to get some news, is there development or will it delay?
cheers

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:06 pm

ulix wrote:Well, I think at first it would be great to get some news, is there development or will it delay?
cheers
The news is that, when there is some news an announcement will be made (probably)*. :lol:
(Sorry, couldn't help myself, and I don't speak for the RPF) :P

*Terms and conditions apply. Your mileage may vary. Will not help weight loss as part of a calorie-controlled diet.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Paul Webster

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 pm

ulix wrote:Is there any news right now? Would be happy to get some infos, because the last we heared 7 months back. :shock:
cheers
The last news in this thread was from gsh just over a month ago.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:10 am

We probably won't hear anything until a batch of 10,000 have been made...and then they will sell out in a few minutes and there will be a 3 month wait for production to ramp up.

I do love the RPF, but they seem to have formed a habit of being blindsided by demand for new products. (I understand *why* the caution. At this point the results are mainly amusing rather than distressing.)

jamesh

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:33 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:We probably won't hear anything until a batch of 10,000 have been made...and then they will sell out in a few minutes and there will be a 3 month wait for production to ramp up.

I do love the RPF, but they seem to have formed a habit of being blindsided by demand for new products. (I understand *why* the caution. At this point the results are mainly amusing rather than distressing.)
Do you know how many people out there want a display?

No, neither does the Foundation...

It's REALLY difficult to predict this sort of thing, and it's better to make too few when you don't have the unlimited cash piles that bigger companies have.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ulix

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:19 am

@ Paul Webster: Yes Grodon wrote a month ago, but this was not concrete.

I hoped he will post here the news, how did the emc testing go? For some more infos on the development I would be very thankful, I don't really care when it's available (expect it will delay one year). I'm only interessted in the development and progress of the whole thing. When the Raspberry Pi B+ came out I had no idea that this will come, would be great to get a little bit here and there some hints and infos. Don't make this "Now is the new display here" a habit, please.
cheers

jamesh

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:51 am

ulix wrote:@ Paul Webster: Yes Grodon wrote a month ago, but this was not concrete.

I hoped he will post here the news, how did the emc testing go? For some more infos on the development I would be very thankful, I don't really care when it's available (expect it will delay one year). I'm only interessted in the development and progress of the whole thing. When the Raspberry Pi B+ came out I had no idea that this will come, would be great to get a little bit here and there some hints and infos. Don't make this "Now is the new display here" a habit, please.
cheers
The Foundation, for various reasons, does not pre-announce certain products. The display, since there it is not replacing any other product, will probably get a short pre-announcement. But there is no guarantee.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”