gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Tons of errors after doing apt-get update and upgrade

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:52 am

After doing the rpi-update can you get the dmesg out?

Just wonder if you've got any errors there...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

jamesh

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 am

lanwarrior wrote:UPDATE:

I got a SandiskUltra microSDHC 16GB Class 10 UHS-1 30MB/s (SDSDQUA-016G-A11A) from my local store. After the 2nd reboot, I got another SD corruption. <sigh>.

I do have a really old, 8Gb Sandisk Class 4, which has been sitting in my drawer for about a year. I don't even know the model number, so I can check't it @ RPi SD Card. So I tried it and... work OK! Update & upgrade works. Tried further configuration, like setting up wifi, SSH, etc. No problem so far.

I will do more testing to see if this card is solid, but looks like B+ doesn't like Class 10 microSDHC cards. Can anyone let me know which Class 10 will work with the B+ and what size? Class 10 cards now is cheap ($14 here in the US), so I am hoping I can use one.
It won't, specifically, be uSD class 10 cards, but probably just a few from particular manufacturers. I wonder what they have started doing that is upsetting the boat.

That said, a class 10 card won't be the best type to get anyway, they are optimised for the wrong sort of access. I get as good results with cheaper class 4 and 6 cards.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

gsh

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:06 pm

If you want to actually solve the problem please email me at gordon@raspberrypi.org

Otherwise there's too much noise here

Thanks

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

DigitalLumberjack

Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 am

Hi Gordon, i don't know if you're working on the issue but as i have the same problems with my sd cards (on both B and B+ revision) and i have some time i can give you some informations too.
See : http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=85122

Bye.

lanwarrior

Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:16 am

gsh wrote:After doing the rpi-update can you get the dmesg out?

Just wonder if you've got any errors there...

Gordon
Hey Gordon,

Sorry for the delay in responding, been crazy busy at work. Anywho, I don't have the dmesg anymore since I nuked the card, but run that once to see if there is any error and there was none. Most are marked [OK] and [Info], no "error" or something like that.

But I confirmed that the Samsung Evo 32Gb Class 10 card is NOT compatible with the B+. I also confirmed it ONLY happened when I did the package upgrade. Maybe a lot of I/O going on that the card doesn't like.

All in all, I am now running a Class 4 microSD card, which work but slow.

gsh

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:15 am

OK,

Sounds like there is a problem with these cards, I'll try and get some back at base and see if we can find out what's going wrong

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

caldimerda

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Hi
I'm a bit late to the ballgame here. Bought a Samsung Evo class 10 etc - same as the OP. It won't even boot in my new B+ - there's nothing at all on the screen.
Same card popped into the full-size adapter works in an older model B. And a Sandisk micro card from my other B+ works in this Raspi.
It looks like I have the same refusal of a B+ to play with this specific Samsung card.
Thanks, Caldimerda

DougieLawson

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:26 am

If it works in a B but not a B+ you probably have firmware that's too old for the new processor.

Boot it up in your B again.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo shutdown

That should get the kernel and firmware to the latest stable version.

If that doesn't work then boot in your B again and use
sudo apt-get install rpi-update
sudo rpi-update
sudo shutdown

That gets the very latest, leading edge, kernel and firmware which should "just work" on your B+.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

caldimerda

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:45 am

Hi Dougie

Yup, could be. The firmware version wasn't reported on startup because I've overwritten the kernel with 3.16 and it reports version #1.

Of course, the apt-get process and the rpi-update process both fail due to the Samsung Evo card -which it turns out fails for me on a model B as well as a B+. I checked syslog and it shows a DMA error before the processes hang, which seems to be an error encountered more than a year ago so I've added the "sync_after_dma" fix and have been able to do the upgrades fine - no hanging.

I'll pop it back in the B+ and see what happens.

Regards, Caldimerda

caldimerda

Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:51 pm

That DMA setting hasn't fixed my problem. I ran apt-get to install the epiphany browser and dpkg started to report it couldn't write (unpack) to a read-only file system. No idea what the exact error is - needless to say nothing was logged either. Worked second time around.

mbtv

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi there, reading about the troubles with the Samsung evo cards. I lost 3 32G cards within three days (on model B and B+, one SD two micro SD.). Even after low level format they where faulty immediatly. So i think there toast. Switched to transcend and now problem what so ever last few weeks. I guess the evo cards are not build for random IO.

jdb

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:28 pm

I went and bought a whole pile of Samsung Class 10 / UHS cards from Amazon.

I can replicate some of the issues reported in this thread when using the Samsung 32GB "EVO" cards.

The process to break things is
  1. Write 2014-06-20 Raspbian image from downloads page
  2. sudo raspi-config, expand FS
  3. sudo apt-get update
  4. sudo apt-get upgrade
Bad things happen when unpacking wolfram-engine.

Details on the card:

Code: Select all

MB-MP320
MBMPBGVEQBFW-E
DHTAG23GK410
Made in Korea
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:31 pm

I was under the impression that Class 10 cards were not recommended and it was better to stick to Class 4 ??
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

jdb

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:59 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:I was under the impression that Class 10 cards were not recommended and it was better to stick to Class 4 ??
It's not a case of "not recommended", they are cards that (presumably) stick to the SDHC specification and therefore there should be no reason why the Pi cannot operate with them.

From initial analysis of the card provided by lanwarrior, it appears that these cards have very fast responses to block writes (less than half the time of a NOOBS card). With the bus operating at 50MHz and the maximum write speed of these cards exceeding 45MB/s, it appears they can easily saturate the bus write bandwidth for sustained periods of time.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

caldimerda

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:02 pm

I have 10 Raspis doing all manner of Home Automation-type things, plus media centres. They all use 32 GB class 10 cards - mostly Sandisk.

My understanding is that class 4 or class 6 are fine, have had fewer problems on the pi and for most practical purposes are as fast. I have heard no sensible argument that says they are actually faster - and my feeling is that recording and playing large video files - eg. from TV broadcasts or Pi Cameras - will play to the strengths of the class 10 cards. Hence also using the large capacity card.

I switched to Samsung because Sandisk are faked so much I don't really want to take the risk these days. As I understand it some Samsung cards are sold for NOOBS - which I took as a tacit recommendation - and the two pre-Evo models I used were fine.
I've just bought a class 10 32 GB QUMOX card, it's fine so far - not using the dma fix - and gives the same test performance (give or take 0.1) as the Evo - 18.7 read, 13.5 write (12 tests, eliminate high and low and take the mean of the other 10)

TigerUppercut

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:58 am

I just wanted to say that I was able to do an upgrade with no errors at all today. I feel like I did literally nothing that I did not do before so I am a bit perplexed as to what changed. Was there a new bios update released?

alexcat

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:36 am

Is now the Samsung EVO compatible with Raspberry PI?
The problem was fixed?

andrewnsk

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:14 pm

My Raspberry worked fine about 6 month until package updates. I confirm that wolfram-engine package caused these fs errors. If I don't update packages, system works OK.

SanDisk Ultra 16Gb (HC I) see attached.

Please suggest how to resolve it. I don't feel that 4 class is a good solution. It really worked too long before the updates with this card.
Attachments
sandisk.png
sandisk.png (47.51 KiB) Viewed 3538 times

gkreidl

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:41 pm

6 months: that was about the time when my SD card started to get fs errors
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

caldimerda

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Looks to me as if the latest firmware may have fixed the problems with the Samsung EVO. Early days, but it ran the apt-get upgrades just fine.
Tests at more or less the same RW speed as before - 18.8 read, 13.4 write.

Thanks for the fix!

andrewnsk

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Hm, yes, it seems that

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update
did the trick.

After the firmware upgrade I tried to remove wolfram-engine and install it again. No issues. Hope the issue is resolved now.

DigitalLumberjack

Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:24 pm

On my side, i just download the last Raspbian image (09/09) and the first thing i did after booting was rpi-update. On both my Samsung 32GB and Samsung 32GB evo the update failed, one with a simple freeze and the other with ext4 errors displayed.
So i can tell the issue is not fixed yet :)

klricks

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:12 pm

DigitalLumberjack wrote:On my side, i just download the last Raspbian image (09/09) and the first thing i did after booting was rpi-update. On both my Samsung 32GB and Samsung 32GB evo the update failed, one with a simple freeze and the other with ext4 errors displayed.
So i can tell the issue is not fixed yet :)
The first thing you MUST do after an install of a raw image is to resize the partition to fill the card (sudo raspi-config).... Then reboot before doing anything else!. If not the attempted update will trash the OS. Not needed for NOOBS install as the partition is resized automatically.

Then sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade and reboot
Then if needed rpi-update
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

DigitalLumberjack

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:43 am

Hi,
Yes of course i resized the partition before launching rpi-update.
I also tried a fresh install with noob, i had the same issue.

sbromberger

Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:44 am

Hi,

I stumbled across this thread when I had similar symptoms with my Raspberry Pi 2 and a SanDisk Extreme 32GB UHS-I/U3 Micro SDHC. No errors are logged, but I've been able to completely wedge* my RPi2 on an apt-get (updating wolfram-engine) and on a software build (of the Julia language).

I'm returning the SD Card but wanted to add a (possibly related) datapoint. I had done an rpi-update after resizing the fs, and was running

Linux redshift 3.18.7-v7+ #755 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:20:48 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

when the freezes happened.

Return to “Troubleshooting”