drp_61

Purchase Raspberrypi too early.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:43 pm

It seems that people who had bought their pi's within 3-4 month's relase time are less previledged. Since 2011 - 2012 already two more improved versions are out. Whilst old users can not even use the pi due to the same limitations of like only 2 usb's, 26 pin GPIO etc.

Why can't foundation offer new product version to those customers with some free addons or something like that. This because since starting people were complaining for less USB ports, SD card issue and lots of other issue like not able to use internet thru' DSL modem username and password. Most importantly without internet you can not even update your OS. MY Pi is just a showpiece since i bought. Never able to use due to lots of problem. Even Expert forum members are giving solutions, which common man can not implement / understand. Once somebody answers, then total silence, no one else replies.

Don't forget that we were the few thousand customers that has paid in advance to RS and waited for a month to get Pi.

Hope someone positive replies. Where is the charity ?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Purchase Raspberrypi too early.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:05 pm

That's.... not how it works.

You paid $amount for something and you got that something. That's generally what happens when you buy something. Any future hardware that comes out is not included in that $amount. I'm also confused by the 'charity' comment. Are you entitled to free food from world vision because it's a charity?

RaTTuS

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:15 pm

my original RPi is still running fine
in fact I've just run a
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
on it to get some updated stuff I wanted.

if you have issues with it then I'd try setting it up again with a decent PSU / micro USB lead and see how far you get - download and use noobs if you want
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Heater

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:49 pm

drp_61,

What on earth are you whining about?
Whilst old users can not even use the pi due to the same limitations of like only 2 usb's, 26 pin GPIO etc.
If said old users bought a device with less USB ports and less GPIO than they needed I would say it's their own silly fault. Like when you buy that two seat BMW when you have a family of four.

The original Pi was advertised and delivered as promised. I ordered two very early on, one from RS and one from Element14, knowing full well I would have to wait a while. The Pi's are amazingly cheap, especially so at the time they were launched. The Pi's work as advertised. I do not hear horror stories of millions of non-functional Pi's. Such stories would have been all over the net by now and the foundation bankrupted with all the returns. Certainly they would not have gotten to selling two million units in two years.

They were sold in good faith, you got what you ordered at the time, and you agreed the price was fair. The fact that there are new improved versions out now does not change any of that and certainly does not mean the Foundation, or RS or Element14 owes you any "compensation". BMW is not going to give me a rebate on the car I bought from them just because the bring out a new model next year. That is how it goes.

If you are having problems with your Pi then ask here. Follow the advice. If really does not work return it. Although I guess if you have had it for two years now it's a bit late for that.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

cim20x

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Begin anecdotal evidence:
I have managed to fry a new pi by trying to power through TP1/TP2 and putting the connectors on the wrong way round.
My oldest pi (bought within a few months of launch) seems to be a lot more durable, having received this treatment a few times with no lasting ill effects.

So us early purchasers actually get an advantage, more tolerant voltage regulators.

BMS Doug

Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:48 pm

drp_61 wrote:It seems that people who had bought their pi's within 3-4 month's relase time are less previledged. Since 2011 - 2012 already two more improved versions are out. Whilst old users can not even use the pi due to the same limitations of like only 2 usb's, 26 pin GPIO etc.
Early adopters often suffer for the privilege of being the first to have the thing. 2 USB and only 26 GPIO are not insurmountable problems and the purchase price of upgrading to the latest version isn't going to break the bank either.
drp_61 wrote:Why can't foundation offer new product version to those customers with some free addons or something like that.
Because they spent the money on making the product that you received.
drp_61 wrote:This because since starting people were complaining for less USB ports, SD card issue and lots of other issue like not able to use internet thru' DSL modem username and password. Most importantly without internet you can not even update your OS.
If you pay them enough someone could post you a SD card with the latest version of the OS on it, but no, without internet access you won't be able to update your Pi.
drp_61 wrote:MY Pi is just a showpiece since i bought. Never able to use due to lots of problem. Even Expert forum members are giving solutions, which common man can not implement / understand. Once somebody answers, then total silence, no one else replies.
I'm certain that the forum members will try to help you to resolve your issues, if you find the answer hard to understand then if you ask for clarification I'm sure they would give it. Very few members of the forum (including experts) are paid for their time on the forum, they post because they like to help.
drp_61 wrote:Don't forget that we were the few thousand customers that has paid in advance to RS and waited for a month to get Pi.
And you received the item you paid for, I'm sorry that you haven't enjoyed it.
I got my first Pi only a few months before the B+ came out. I don't have any regrets.
drp_61 wrote:Hope someone positive replies.
You probably won't feel that my reply is positive, sorry.
drp_61 wrote:Where is the charity ?
Physical location? Cambridge
Goal? bringing affordable programming into schools. (not latest hardware into everyone's hands).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

mikronauts

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Seriously? You REALLY don't understand how business works.

You want a discount?

Simple.

Sell your (used, but working) model B to someone for 1/2 price of B+

Buy a B+

Congrats, you just got a 50% discount!
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

fruitoftheloom

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:16 pm

drp_61 wrote:It seems that people who had bought their pi's within 3-4 month's relase time are less previledged. Since 2011 - 2012 already two more improved versions are out. Whilst old users can not even use the pi due to the same limitations of like only 2 usb's, 26 pin GPIO etc.

Why can't foundation offer new product version to those customers with some free addons or something like that. This because since starting people were complaining for less USB ports, SD card issue and lots of other issue like not able to use internet thru' DSL modem username and password. Most importantly without internet you can not even update your OS. MY Pi is just a showpiece since i bought. Never able to use due to lots of problem. Even Expert forum members are giving solutions, which common man can not implement / understand. Once somebody answers, then total silence, no one else replies.

Don't forget that we were the few thousand customers that has paid in advance to RS and waited for a month to get Pi.

Hope someone positive replies. Where is the charity ?
BALDERDASH - POPPYCOCK :D
Retired disgracefully.....

ghans

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Your "old" model B gets the same support as all newer revisions. The profit from your device has enabled the foundation to optimize
great amounts of software for it. I can't think of many companies who spend thousands of pounds to better and create open-source software
for already sold products.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

RaTTuS

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:20 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Heater

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:49 pm

Sounds like drp_61 has a serious problem with his ISP not his Raspberry Pi.

I suspect he would be having problems using any Linux machine never mind the Pi.

For years now I have just plugged my machines into the ethernet jack that is my internet connection, what ever it may be, and the machine gets it's IP address and DNS from that connection using DHCP. No problem. No login with user name password. That sound like something from last century. No wonder people are having a hard time advising what to do. Nobody makes dial up connections anymore.

If it really works like a dial up you are going to have to read up on how to make ppp connections from a Linux box. Something I have long since forgotten how to do I'm afraid.

Burngate

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:58 pm

There's a story somewhere in the New Testement, although I can't remember the details, that goes something like this.

A bloke needed some work doing pretty sharpish, so he went to the local pikies and offered them a wad of fivers this thick to get it done by friday.
By wednesday, it was obvious they wouldn't finish in time, so he found another lot, offered them the same-size wad, to help out.
Come friday, getting desperate, he brought in a third lot for the same amount to finish it off.

The first lot saw this and said "Hey, mate, that's not on! We work for a week, they spend half a day, and get the same amount!"

"You agreed, you worked, you get paid. You don't like it, then tough titty"

Jim JKla

Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Back in the day I bought a 16k spectrum this was all I could afford It was about £109 about a month later the 48k Spectrum dropped to £2 more than I paid for the 16k model.

Later I was able to buy the chips to upgrade to 48k I did the job myself.

I have no complaints this got me started into computing circa 1983 It's a hazard of the industry and something you just have to live with. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

gandar

Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:51 pm

I wanted a b+ so I sold one if my b rev2 boards on eBay for 30$ USD. Now my b+ will only cost $5.

rpdom

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:00 pm

drp_61 wrote:It seems that people who had bought their pi's within 3-4 month's relase time are less previledged.
Funny that. I feel really privileged to have had my first Pi so early (ordered from Farnell early on release day, arrived some weeks later just in time for my wedding :) ). Despite the "limitations" it is in daily use, kept fully updated and is totally reliable :-)

DougieLawson

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:06 pm

drp_61 wrote:Why can't foundation offer new product version to those customers with some free addons or something like that.
What drugs are you smoking, inhaling or injecting? Because they have changed your perception of the World beyond all levels of recognition.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

redhawk

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:12 pm

I bought my Pi early from RS (while on the waiting list) and I have no regrets, after all I got what I paid for at the time and it still works.
You should be grateful the Pi is and still will be cheap as chips it's not like you've bought an iPhone for 400 quid only find a newer version is out. :D

Richard S.

Douglas6

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Wish I still had my Commodore 64. Perhaps I could trade it in for a Lenovo M93p.

Nahhhh.

PaddyC

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:53 pm

I have to say that the folks moderating these forums have abundantly more patience that I do ;)

fruitoftheloom

Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:16 pm

I am on numero 3 Pi, both the B 256 and B 512 are still going well, both were sold to friends and I lost very few £££'s, a lot less than if bought a PC or Laptop.

So apart from original purchase price it has actually cost me about £25.00 or £1.00 a month, which is excellent value for money.

Fortunately apart from SD Cards and a HDMi-DVi Cable everything else was a Business Cost.

So OK let's be generous and add some peripheral costs into the equation and say £2.00 per month.

The Raspbian Wheezy software is still basically the same and with the improvements both older Pi's are still relevant learning tools.

In conclusion the OP is blaming the Pi for his inability to learn and understand, yes we can all do that in life :D
Retired disgracefully.....

Heater

Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Burgate,

pikies in the New Testament? I have to read that again.

I'm more of an old testament guy. Moses managed to drop and break two of the tablets with the 12 commandments on them.

So it's a little known fact that the 11th commandment said something about "Don't complain when people work really hard for many years to bring cheap stuff to you."

Or as we say today "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

jdb

Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Preemptive lock.

This thread is going nowhere (but down) fast.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

Return to “General discussion”