gkreidl

How do we we get the latest dist-upgrade release stable?

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:05 am

In order to introduce the new accelerated web browser epiphany, the RPF had to replace a lot of important packages with new versions that don't belong into a stable Debian Wheezy release. As asb has pointed out, there are now two quite different versions of Raspbian, one at raspbian.org and one hosted by the RPF.

The basic problem is, that most applications on Raspbian have been compiled against earlier versions of the replaced packages and are not aware of the changes. This leads to really lots of warnings and also critical errors that may lead to crashes. This includes important parts of the system like Openbox and many standard applications like lxterminal.

I would have preferred if such a change in policy would have been discussed with users and developers before doing the upgrade. The problems have been well known. But now it's a fact and we should discuss how to get the system stable again.

So I've got a number of questions first.

Who's responsible for debugging? Where should we report any bugs or problems?

I'll be glad to help with bug reports but cannot do that alone. Who's willing to help?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Fidelius

Re: How do we we get the latest dist-upgrade release stable?

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:21 am

Dear Gkreidl, while I can't help in debugging (C-) programs, I can help in reporting errors and broken packages which were introduced by the new weekend dist-upgrade.
With the new web browser also many GNOME packages have been updated, which broke several other GNOME packages unfortunately. For example the GNOME Mahjongg which still worked before the dist-upgrade. Now it crashes like so:

Code: Select all

> mahjongg 

** (mahjongg:2602): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-xuAs7iJToh: Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt

(mahjongg:2602): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_application_list_actions: assertion 'application->priv->is_registered' failed
Speicherzugriffsfehler
"Speicherzugriffsfehler" meaning in English "Memory Access Error" or similar.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:40 am

Hi gkreidl - have you posted full bug reports for your issues with instructions on how to reproduce? It would be really helpful so they can be passed on to the correct people to get those sorted.

My plan is to add a new component on archive.raspberrypi.org which would contain only Raspberry Pi specific packages (like firmware, python-picamera and the like) so that users can stick to pure wheezy/Raspbian. So in the very near future, you might change /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi/list from 'deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy main' to 'deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy minimal' or similar. How do people feel about that?

gkreidl

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:05 am

asb wrote:Hi gkreidl - have you posted full bug reports for your issues with instructions on how to reproduce? It would be really helpful so they can be passed on to the correct people to get those sorted.

My plan is to add a new component on archive.raspberrypi.org which would contain only Raspberry Pi specific packages (like firmware, python-picamera and the like) so that users can stick to pure wheezy/Raspbian. So in the very near future, you might change /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi/list from 'deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy main' to 'deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy minimal' or similar. How do people feel about that?
I'll start posting problem reports but just wanted to know before where and how; and I'll hope others will also help with this (see the second posting in this thread). I'll stick to the RPF Raspbian version for now, as I want to deliver software which works for most people.

But nevertheless your proposal of offering a pure Raspbian Wheezy repository (with just the firmware etc. added) is a very good idea. Some things might never work again without a clean installation.

Should we use this thread here for posting bug reports?
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

darkgeek

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi,
I think I have two issues after the lastest upgrade ;) . For one thing, dwb, a minimal vi-like web browser, always crashes when I try to press 'D' key to close a tab, leaving me a "Segmentation fault" error. Here is the output on the terminal:

Code: Select all

** (dwb:7612): WARNING **: The set_id method on WebKitDOMHTMLElement is deprecated. Use the one in WebKitDOMElement instead.

(dwb:7612): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_closure_unref: assertion 'closure->ref_count > 0' failed

** (dwb:7612): WARNING **: The set_id method on WebKitDOMHTMLElement is deprecated. Use the one in WebKitDOMElement instead.

(dwb:7612): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'GtkLabel'

(dwb:7612): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_markup: assertion 'GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed
Received SIGSEGV, trying to clean up.
Last 0 stack frames: 
(dwb:7612): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'GtkImage'

(dwb:7612): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_image_get_pixbuf: assertion 'GTK_IS_IMAGE (image)' failed

(dwb:7612): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(dwb:7612): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

Segmentation fault
And another issue is fcitx related. Fcitx is a Chinese input method software. It doesn't crash after this upgrade, but whenever I right click on its icon on the tray, the menu is only black square. You might see the black square(which should be a menu before) on the right bottom in the screenshot:

diederik

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:54 pm

asb wrote:My plan is to add a new component on archive.raspberrypi.org which would contain only Raspberry Pi specific packages (like firmware, python-picamera and the like) so that users can stick to pure wheezy/Raspbian.
The raspbian archive already has a firmware section; who not use/integrate into that?
There's also a rpi section which (imo) would be perfect for Raspberry Pi specific stuff, like python-picamera
So in the very near future, you might change /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi/list from 'deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy main' to 'deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy minimal' or similar. How do people feel about that?
You mean that 'minimal' would only contain packages which are not part of raspbian?

Ivan Tham

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:43 am

There is no gui for fcitx when I clicked on the notification area. When I type the chinese pinyin, the chinese characters to be chosen is not shown. Sorry if there is some gramatical errors as English is not my main language.
Attachments
2014-09-04-153240_1280x720_scrot.png
2014-09-04-153240_1280x720_scrot.png (28.41 KiB) Viewed 2387 times

darkgeek

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:33 am

Ivan Tham wrote:There is no gui for fcitx when I clicked on the notification area. When I type the chinese pinyin, the chinese characters to be chosen is not shown. Sorry if there is some gramatical errors as English is not my main language.
Seems compling the lastest release of fcitx from source is a workaround. I just compiled Fcitx 4.2.8.4, which is newer than the one in repo, and worked without any issues.

Compling fcitx:
https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/Compile_from_source
Or buiding the portable fcitx if you fear the mix of repo libs and your-own-compiled-libs:
https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/Make_a_portable_Fcitx

gkreidl

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:51 am

libpostproc-dev cannot be installed any more, because it needs libavutil-dev 6:0.8.13, but current version now is 6:9.14. This has to be fixed.

BTW, this makes it impossible to compile a newer VLC version with HW acceleration. (which was possible before the upgrade).

Return to “Raspbian”