jgold

My Pi has gone flakey

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:29 am

I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks but today it started rebooting if I touch or move it in any way. I swapped the cables and power supply but still had the problem. I had a second spare Raspberry Pi B+ so I put that in the case and the problem is gone.

I think I've got a lose connection on the mini USB port. Is that common? Is there a simple way to fix it like maybe touching the contacts with a soldering iron? Where to you go for warranty work?

Thanks

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: My Pi has gone flakey

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:23 am

jgold wrote: Where to you go for warranty work?

Thanks
...send it back to the supplier where you bought it from.
Welcome to the forum,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

hansotten

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:43 am

jgold wrote:I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks but today it started rebooting if I touch or move it in any way. I swapped the cables and power supply but still had the problem. I had a second spare Raspberry Pi B+ so I put that in the case and the problem is gone.

I think I've got a lose connection on the mini USB port. Is that common? Is there a simple way to fix it like maybe touching the contacts with a soldering iron? Where to you go for warranty work?

Thanks
Indeed looks like a loose connection, and the micro USB is indeed vulnerable with all the inserting to reset.

Any experience with SMD soldering? Very tiny connections! It can be repaired, but use a magnifying glass to check and do not overheat.

If your supplier accepts the warranty (which may lead to discussions since this is due to wear) I would advice to gp that way.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

masterluke

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:48 am

I had similar issues and it turned out that the sdcard and socket were not making a snug connection. Either the socket had losened or the card had warped. Packing the edges between the back of the sdcard and the socket pushed the card into the socket more firmly and fixed the problem. Not ideal but it worked for me. May be worth a look.

jgold

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:59 pm

Thanks for the hint. I thought you'd found my problem since I had copied Raspbian from a plane 8gb microSD card to a Sandisk Extreme Pro card. Since that's what I was working on at the time I started having the reboot problem, your suggestion sounded like a direct fit.

Sadly, even after re-seating the SD card and checking all my connections, I still have the same problem. There was an email sticker on the bag the beginner's kit came with. I ended up sending them an email asking about warranty work.

Thanks for responding guys. I appreciate it.

Return to “General discussion”