RaspberryRick

New B+ - No Audio

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi All,
I have a brand new RPi B+. Everything seems to be working except I don't appear to have any sound output on either the HDMI or 3.5 jack.
I am using Raspian installed via NOOBS. I have the RPi connected via HDMI to a Panasonic 720p TV.
I am brand new to RPi and also have no prior Linux experience. But lots of Win experience.
I have changed parameters to force audio to HDMI with no results.
I also plugged in an iphone earbud into the 3.5 jack with no sound.
I guess one of my additional questions is should the RPi make any kind of sounds during power up?
Also, I am assuming the included Python Games should have some kind of sound playing when you play them - I hear nothing. Am I correct is assuming I should hear sounds during the included Python Games?
I am guessing it is something simple that I am not doing correctly.
I have check both Google and searching here to try and resolve my problem, but so far nothing has worked.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, but please realize I am a real noobie with this.
Thanks
Rick

fruitoftheloom

Re: New B+ - No Audio

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:58 am

Open LXTerminal and type the following, pressing enter after each command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
Enabling the sound module:

sudo modprobe snd-bcm2835
Enabling Audio Output

amixer cset numid=3 N

N should be replaced with the following: 0=auto, 1=analog, 2=hdmi

Test sound

speaker-test -t wav -c 2
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

drgeoff

Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:08 am

Raspbian does not play an annoying jingle when starting up.

The python games I tried gave no sound.

The simple Sonicpi listing at http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/sonicpi/ did make some beeps from my HDMI connected TV.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

klricks

Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:17 pm

I am not getting sound over HDMI at all and limited sound over analog.
I am running 'raw' install of Raspbian on new B+ with latest firmware installed with rpi-update

The alisa utilities were already installed in Raspbian by default and at latest version.

The speaker test ... speaker-test -t wav -c 2 .... works when forced to analog mode with....... amixer cset numid=3 1 ....(Using powered speakers plugged into the audio/video jack).
There is no sound however when playing the python games, Tetris (MIDI), either through HDMI or analog speakers. Note the MIDI driver, Timidity, is now installed by default in Raspbian.

I don't believe I have ever heard any system sounds even on older rev1 & 2 B RPi's
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

RaspberryRick

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:24 am

Thanks to all for your help.
Turns out my audio was working - I expected it to be like other computers and make some kind noise on boot up and assumed the Python games had music playing (though the "simple simon-like" game does make a little sound).
I made the cat meow in Scratch so it appears I have sound.
I also created another SD card with XBMC and the sound was fine so my B+ appears to be OK.
Thanks again for you assistance.
Rick

GaryCN

Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Confirming these steps worked for me, Raspberry Pi B+, Rebuilt Samsung monitor using the 3.5MM jack on the Pi to iHome mini speaker using the 1 analog setting.

juansalvo94

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:57 pm

ok, this steps work fine for analog audio. but the HDMI audio isn't working

i force it with the

amixer cset numid=3 2
but i hear no noise in the speaker-test

klricks

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:10 pm

juansalvo94 wrote:ok, this steps work fine for analog audio. but the HDMI audio isn't working

i force it with the

amixer cset numid=3 2
but i hear no noise in the speaker-test
Read this: http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... -config.md
The config change shown at the very end of this is what fixed HDMI sound for me.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Troubleshooting”