mikezoe65

Re: Is my SD card going to boot when I get my RPi?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:40 am

I've attempted to make a new Kingston 8Gb (4) SD card bootable with the latest Debian image but am unsure whether it will boot in the Rpi when it arrives. I have tried getting it to boot in my Asus eee with no success (tried changing BIOS settings) but no joy. Is there any way of looking at these two images of the SDcard in Linux and the Debian file structure in W7 to tell whether I have made it bootable? What do those two lock icons mean in the Linux image?

http://www.imageurlhost.com/im.....bfiles.jpg

http://www.imageurlhost.com/im.....uxview.jpg

grumpyoldgit

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:07 am

The image is designed for the Arm architecture of the Pi. It will not boot an i386 computer. The images you have shown of the card look fine to me, The two unallocated spaces are just minute spaces between the two partitions.

mikezoe65

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:10 am

I guess I'll have to wait and see! Any comment on those lock icons on the Linux image?

nick.mccloud

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:19 am

mikezoe65 said:

Any comment on those lock icons on the Linux image?

In GParted that usually means they are mounted or in use in some way that prevents you altering them.

mikezoe65

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:30 am

I assume I will be able to use the 5.79Gb spare Linux swap partition to download files eg movie files and run them from the SD card? Would such files run more smoothly from the card or from a usb 2 external hard drive (5200rpm WD green 1Tb caviar)? Would the lock symbol stop me from writing to this partition?

jojopi

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:16 am

mikezoe65 said:

I assume I will be able to use the 5.79Gb spare Linux swap partition to download files eg movie files and run them from the SD card? Would such files run more smoothly from the card or from a usb 2 external hard drive (5200rpm WD green 1Tb caviar)? Would the lock symbol stop me from writing to this partition?

The swap partition should not be so big.  In the original debian reference image it was 191MiB, which is comfortably enough for any expected usage pattern.  (If you ever needed that much swap, performance would already be abysmal.)

Swap is used only to provide virtual memory and as backing store for tmpfs filesystems.  All data in swap is lost on every reboot.

If the image does not fill your card you can either make an additional partition at the end, or move the swap partition to the end and then grow the main ext2/3/4 partition and filesystem.  If you make an additional partition you will also have to format it and arrange for it to be mounted somewhere by the Pi.

(The fedora remix automatically grows to fit the card on the first boot, so the above is not required.)

nick.mccloud

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:58 pm

mikezoe65 said:

I assume I will be able to use the 5.79Gb spare Linux swap partition to download files eg movie files and run them from the SD card?

You could certainly repartition/reallocate it as storage space.

Would such files run more smoothly from the card or from a usb 2 external hard drive (5200rpm WD green 1Tb caviar)?

In theory it would run faster from the external HD but I'd guess that it will run fast enough from the card to give you equally smooth playback.

Would the lock symbol stop me from writing to this partition?

It is likely that it is only showing you this because of the way it is being accessed at the point you are running it - perhaps you could research Gparted for further information?

mikezoe65

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:26 pm

http://www.imageurlhost.com/im....._fedre.jpg

I decided to try the Fed remix image and this is the Linux partition image having adjusted the partition size of the non-boot partition. Will I be able to use this headroom for files? Why is there no swap sector with the Fedora O/S compared with the Debian o/s?

Kernel

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:21 pm

also see: http://russelldavis.org/2012/0.....n-windows/

which states:

The main gotcha is that although your computer has a builtin sd card reader/writer and it works with your cellphone or camera sd card perfectly well it might not work for creating a bootable sd. The biggest problem builtin sd card reader/writer is the ricoh one in HP laptops although other makes of sd card hardware and laptops also have this problem. When you use a builtin reader/writer and it is goingto fail it doesn't always tell you that it's failed so the first thing you now something is wrong is that your raspberry pi (or other target device) won't boot So although you have a builtin sd card reader/writer it is a good idea to get hold of a USB SD card reader/writer and use that for making your bootable SD card. [I have no real idea why builtin reader/writers have problems making bootable sd cards but my thinking is that the controller in the builtin ones was cut down for windows machines to save a few pennies as noone thought that they'd want to write to the 0 to xxxx areas of the SD card]

We won't really know until we get the devices though and test them ourselves - I have put Fedora onto a card with my laptop but got a USB SD reader too just in case

Return to “General discussion”