beta-tester

RPi B+ microSD slot

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:50 am

hi, today i got me new RPi B+.... yeah .. \o/
(looks very nice and even smaller than the RPi B, because of the even lined up USB ports and the microSD card)

the RPi B+ has a microSD cardslot and i thought, that the inserted microSD card would be locked by the 'push-lock/push-unlock' mechanism.
but when the microSD card is inserted in, it is verry very easely possibly to pull out the card from the slot - even easier than on RPi B.
my big hope was, that the microSD card (once pushed in) would hold safely on place - even on bigger vibration and can only bet get of by pushing again (like on other devices with microSD cardslot i know) - but it is not like this.
the push-push-mechanism only helps to drop off the microSD card but it does not lock the card.

now the big question: are there different microSD card slots builded to RPi B+ depending which factory manufactured the RPi B+ and where?
because my camera slot is white and on the RaspberryPi webpage announcement they where all black - maybe there are also differences in the microSD cardslots.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

fruitoftheloom

Re: RPi B+ microSD slot

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:30 am

I have problems with mine not latching, will be sending it back to RS for replacement, seems the metal used in the latch on mine is to weak !

Europe / USA Stock is made by Sony South Wales AFAIAA
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

AndrewS

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:34 am

Yeah, there's (unfortunately) been a (very) few reports of the microSD slot on some B+ boards not latching correctly. In which case just arrange a replacement from whoever you bought it from. If it works properly it does latch securely.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:11 pm

RS sent out the following day a replacent via Parcel Force, no hassle what-so-ever :)

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:15 pm

On all the B+es I've had before release, I've mercilessly abused the uSD slot in the hope to break one. I have yet to do so.

In fact the only breakage we have had was Gordon pressing down too hard on a B+ at an angle and snapping the uSD card in half.

You *can* pull the card out when it's in the "inserted" position but to do so you should face at least a bit of resistance. Can you pull the card out easily?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:22 pm

jdb wrote:On all the B+es I've had before release, I've mercilessly abused the uSD slot in the hope to break one. I have yet to do so.

In fact the only breakage we have had was Gordon pressing down too hard on a B+ at an angle and snapping the uSD card in half.

You *can* pull the card out when it's in the "inserted" position but to do so you should face at least a bit of resistance. Can you pull the card out easily?

On the one I sent back initially it was latching but just slight pressure in would make it pop out, after swapping cards a few times it just gave up altogther latching.

I do not blame anybody, one expects the odd failure of components, I actually sent the old one back today and hopefully RS will pass it on for inspection.
RS UK 125879038

The new one does not seem much better so am being extra careful, need to get a case to put it in :roll:

beta-tester

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:20 pm

jdb wrote:You *can* pull the card out when it's in the "inserted" position but to do so you should face at least a bit of resistance. Can you pull the card out easily?
no, there is nearly no resistance. on that one RPi B+ i have, the inserted microSD card slips off very easily - the slot mechanism is in "inserted" position, but with vibration or g-force along the length direction of the RPi B+, the microSD card slips off and loose connection (the microSD card slot is still in "inserted" position!)

I see three options:
1. I get a replacement (unfortunately I bought my RPi B+ not directly from RS, I bought/ordered it from a electronic shop Germany - will take minimum 1,5 weeks to get a replacement - if I get) ... oh no, give my baby away.
2. or I tape or fix the microSD card in an other way, to keep the card in place
3. or I bend the upper metal shield of the card slot slightly inwards, so the microSD card has more friction...
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

rpdom

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:41 pm

Put an elastic band around the card and Pi to hold it in place.

I seem to have damaged my microSD slot and it stopped locking. I managed to fix it for a while, but it's gone again. The card goes in alright, but doesn't lock on the spring mechanism so I've put a band around it to make sure it stays in.

Somehow I managed to dent the little springy bit on the socket. My fault, so I won't be sending it back. The Pi still works :)

fabiankropp

Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:07 am

I assembled a hand full of Pi B+ for a customer.
Sadly there are 4 out of 10 where the SD-Card will no longer stay in place.

Any chance to get a replacement micro-sd slot ?
Possibly one that won't break that quick ?

cheers

Fabian

P.S.: Plastic bands etc. are not an option....

fruitoftheloom

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:09 am

fabiankropp wrote:I assembled a hand full of Pi B+ for a customer.
Sadly there are 4 out of 10 where the SD-Card will no longer stay in place.

Any chance to get a replacement micro-sd slot ?
Possibly one that won't break that quick ?

cheers

Fabian

P.S.: Plastic bands etc. are not an option....
Return them under Warranty from the Supplier ;)

jdb

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:14 am

Before you do so, please post the numbers from the sticker on the underside of each Pi here.

Or alternatively, boot them up (with elastic band retention mechanism) and post the serial numbers.

We need this information to get the week in which these boards were manufactured and from which factory.
Rockets are loud.

fabiankropp

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:55 pm

jdb wrote:Before you do so, please post the numbers ....
We need this information to get the week in which these boards were manufactured and from which factory.
Will do, is there any known issue ?
My customer told me the SD-Card just happened to pop out of the device.
No user interaction had taken place ....

[update]
Hardware : BCM2708
Revision : 0010
Serial : 00000000e9a9ad89
[/update]

jamesh

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:41 pm

fabiankropp wrote:
jdb wrote:Before you do so, please post the numbers ....
Will do, is there any known issue ?
My customer told me the SD-Card just happened to pop out of the device.
No user interaction had taken place ....

[update]
Hardware : BCM2708
Revision : 0010
Serial : 00000000e9a9ad89
[/update]
It may or may not be a known issue, but narrowing down the time and date of manufacturer will enable post mortem examination and ensure any detected problems do not occur in the future. Return rates for Pi's are well below industry average (or were the last time I saw figures), and it's important to the Foundation to make them as robust as possible.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

fabiankropp

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:57 pm

thank you for the great support, as soon as i get hold of the other broken PIs i'll post ist.

cheers

Fabian

gjennings

Fri May 29, 2015 12:50 am

I understand the moderator's need to keep this discussion moderate, but the frequent discussions of failures all over the Internet make it pretty clear that this is not a rare problem; this is a big problem, and probably more common than even reported, because people quickly give up and resort to the rubber band to keep their Pi 2's microSD card in.

I'll try to do a return, but I had to take this unit to the RSA Conference in San Francisco. We scanned the badges of about 2000 people who watched our Pi presentation at our booth. I'd estimate at least half of them had something negative to say about that rubber band. Several asked who made the Pi.

Element14, you are hurting yourself badly with this one. Please stop denying this problem. Instead acknowledge it, immediately replace every defective unit and get a new part for the microSD card holder. Blaming users is just silly, and is genuinely making you look bad. That rubber band turned customers off to the Pi, and sent them directly to the Beagle Bone and the Radxa Rock we also featured.

Thanks.

rpdom

Fri May 29, 2015 5:26 am

gjennings wrote:Please stop denying this problem. Instead acknowledge it, immediately replace every defective unit and get a new part for the microSD card holder. Blaming users is just silly
I have only seen a handful of posts about this "problem" out of the very large number that get posted here each day.

The card slot on my Pi2 is working fine, as are most of them. The slot on my B+ requires a rubber band, but I do blame the user for that since it was caused by the user doing something silly.

Overall, I'd say that the micro card slot is a lot more reliable than the old full sized slot on the original A/B models, mostly because it prevents the problem with "bending" of some cards.

I am certain that the RPF and E14/RS are aware of any problems with any batches of card slots and would address such issues if they arose. However it might help identifying an issue if you posted the serial number of your faulty Pi and/or the date code on the white square on the underside of the board.

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 29, 2015 8:02 am

There were a batch of Raspberry Pi's which had this issue, mine was replaced under Warranty.

AFAIAA the issue was rectified at the factory almost immediately ;)

jamesh

Fri May 29, 2015 8:49 am

gjennings wrote:I understand the moderator's need to keep this discussion moderate, but the frequent discussions of failures all over the Internet make it pretty clear that this is not a rare problem; this is a big problem, and probably more common than even reported, because people quickly give up and resort to the rubber band to keep their Pi 2's microSD card in.

I'll try to do a return, but I had to take this unit to the RSA Conference in San Francisco. We scanned the badges of about 2000 people who watched our Pi presentation at our booth. I'd estimate at least half of them had something negative to say about that rubber band. Several asked who made the Pi.

Element14, you are hurting yourself badly with this one. Please stop denying this problem. Instead acknowledge it, immediately replace every defective unit and get a new part for the microSD card holder. Blaming users is just silly, and is genuinely making you look bad. That rubber band turned customers off to the Pi, and sent them directly to the Beagle Bone and the Radxa Rock we also featured.

Thanks.
You have fallen in to the internet trap. Just because there are some vocal people complaining about something, doesn't mean its a problem. In actual fact, the failure rate of Pi's is very very low. Much lower than industry average for electronic devices. Think about it - there are multi MILLION B+ and B2's out there. And how many SD card slot problems have been reported? A fantastically low percentage. And if the device is under warrantee, and there is a failure, they should be replaced anyway.

So your initial premise is actually wrong - this is NOT a common problem, it is very rare indeed. And of course, the manufacturers are almost instantly aware of issues found with boards, and are constantly ensuring quality control stays as high as possible.

I suspect the BBB and other devices would also have similar reported problems, if they actually sold enough for it to be statistically significant.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jdb

Fri May 29, 2015 9:32 am

I've just had a double-take at this thread because it's a dupe of viewtopic.php?f=28&t=82881 and could have sworn that I'd posted in it.

Locking.
Rockets are loud.

Return to “Troubleshooting”