vpetersson

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:44 pm

cyanarnofsky wrote:Thanks! Actually going to move everything I can to RAM now and that allows me to limit size. Looking to stabilize the systems a bit, any tricks you guys have found that your willing to share? :)

Well, there is a bit of extra logic included in Screenly Pro that isn't in Screenly OSE. Generally speaking tho, the thing that will have the most amount of negative impact is if you have other things running beyond Screenly. The Raspberry Pi isn't powerful enough to run anything else.

The most common reasons for stability issues is cheap SD cards and unreliable power adapters. Saving money there is likely cause you a lot more headache. For more information, please see http://www.screenlyapp.com/faq.html#sd-card-failure
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

pHeoz

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:23 am

Hello,

I'm trying to use Screenly OSE but I have not yet figured out how to remotely control it. I understand how to modify the content played on the screen in a LAN, since I can access the raspberry from its local IP (192.168.x.x). But if I want to modify the content remotely from a distant network, how can I do ? Is there anything to set up on the Pi ?

Thanks for you help

rsenio

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:48 pm

I have an asset webpage that requires a login prior to displaying its content. When the page loads there is a username/password login box. A keyboard plugged into screenly does not allow any input for me to type in the credentials. Is there a way to make this work?

vpetersson

Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:26 pm

pHeoz wrote:Hello,

I'm trying to use Screenly OSE but I have not yet figured out how to remotely control it. I understand how to modify the content played on the screen in a LAN, since I can access the raspberry from its local IP (192.168.x.x). But if I want to modify the content remotely from a distant network, how can I do ? Is there anything to set up on the Pi ?

Thanks for you help
That's exactly what Screenly Pro is for. You could of course solve it yourself using a VPN/reverse proxy/open up the firewall, but Screenly Pro solves all this for you.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi. Now hacking on WoTT (github.com/WoTTsecurity/agent),

vpetersson

Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:26 pm

rsenio wrote:I have an asset webpage that requires a login prior to displaying its content. When the page loads there is a username/password login box. A keyboard plugged into screenly does not allow any input for me to type in the credentials. Is there a way to make this work?
Currently, password protected content isn't supported.

dmelladom

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:00 am

Hello!
I have been using Screenly OSE for digital signage for more than two months and it works amazingly!
Just a couple of short questions:

1) Has anybody tried to go up to 1920x1200? Does it sound possible to you guys?
2) Has anybody tried to modify the code for synchronization?
I would love to work with somebody to include this two options

Thanks!
Diego

pHeoz

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 pm

I have successfully set up remote control management of the Raspberries from a distant network thanks to your tips, vpetersson.

I've also created an interface to manage these raspberries and know which one is online / offline, but I'd like to add some more functionalities to my dashboard.
In order to do so, I'd like to read the content of the Screenly OSE management page (the one we see when going to 192.168.0.1:8080 for instance). Does anyone know where this page is located on the Raspberry ? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for your help

galuwa

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi,

I've been having an issue for a while now- I was hoping someone could provide some advice. I am running Screenly OSE on several Pi's streaming video from an Apache server on a local machine. The Pis and the server are on their own network with static IPs. The system runs fine most of the time, but after an extended period of time, the screen will remain black after playing a video and the web interface on port 8080 will be inaccessible. The timing of this event seems sporadic and happens even when only 1 Pi is playing. I have tried changing the Pi's, the SD cards, the router, the server, the media, the cables and nothing seems to solve the problem. The interesting part is that even though screenly appears to have stopped, I can still access the Pi via SSH and manually start omxplayer. Restarting the Pi brings it back online for the time being until the issue reoccurs. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

pHeoz

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:37 pm

galuwa > What do you mean by "extended period of time" ? I have let Screenly OSE run for 3 days with one reboot per day and had no problem. I haven't tried running the machine 3 days straight though.

If that is not a problem for you rebooting your machine once in a while, you could schedule an automatic reboot every day with crontabs.

Here's what you should type to reboot at 10:50 AM every day :

sudo -i
crontab -e

in the crontab file, add the line:
50 10 * * * /sbin/shutdown -r now >> /home/pi/err.log 2>&1

you can remove the part after "now" if you do not want the log messages.

Darron.Michael

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm running Screenly-OSE to display various metrics about our production lines on TVs in our facility and we LOVE charts!

The free product I was using to generate charts on our intranet Web pages uses Flash animation. The charts were not viewable on Screenly-OSE (and also not on Android or Ipad browsers) due to the requirement for flash.

I've recently switched to RGraph (also a free product) for our chart generation, because it works great with Screenly.

RGraph sits on top of my iis/SQL box and creates graphs using data pulled from SQL by ASP.

RGraph uses the HTML5 "Canvas" so the graphs look great on Screenly as well as on IPad and Android browsers. I'm not affiliated with Rgraph or Screenly, but I've found they complement each other well so I'm sharing.

galuwa

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks for the response.

I should have specified- the time frame is extremely inconsistent. Sometimes the issue will happen after 1 hour, sometimes after 24 and anywhere in between. I agree that if I could get the unit to run for at least 24 hours straight- restarting the unit every night would ensure it wouldn't stop on it's own.

My take on the problem is:
- It looks like the web interface crashes for some reason
- The Pi will finish its current loop and when it goes to check the playlist, it can't determine what to do next
- It seems that screenly either turns itself off or goes into some sort of idle mode

As I mentioned before, the Pi is still fully functional but no aspect of screenly can be accessed or controlled. The only thing that seems to fix the issue is a reboot.

Any other thoughts?

pHeoz

Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Well it's hard to tell, it might be a memory usage issue. I'm not sure how Linux handles this, but if Screenly uses too much memory, it might be getting terminated by the OS and does not restart by itself.

You can try checking the memory usage with the "ps" command (ps aux | less) or with the "top" command if I recall correctly.

Note that it's just my guess, i could be completely off here.

Nerdoc

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:24 am

Good day,

I'm pretty new to raspberry and I came across screenly. I have written the image on 16gb Micro using b+. I fail to get ip and when it shows big buck keyboard doesn't work. Any solution for this or it only works on b model?

Thanks

vpetersson

Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:53 am

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you guys know that the latest version of Screenly Pro and OSE now supports the Raspberry Pi B+.

Nerdoc

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:00 am

I downloaded the 7/17 and ethernet and keyboard does not work. Is there a new one?

Thanks really excited to try this out

vpetersson

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:28 am

vpetersson wrote:Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you guys know that the latest version of Screenly Pro and OSE now supports the Raspberry Pi B+.
Strike that. There is a bug in the OSE version. Fixing.

vpetersson

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:14 pm

vpetersson wrote:
vpetersson wrote:Hey guys,

Strike that. There is a bug in the OSE version. Fixing.
An updated version has been posted now (2014-08-13). You can download it from:
http://www.screenlyapp.com/ose.html

This version should add support for B+ as well as fixes some issues in the prior release.

Nerdoc

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:39 am

Tried the new update working 100% thanks

vpetersson

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:18 am

Nerdoc wrote:Tried the new update working 100% thanks
Great!

Nerdoc

Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:21 am

Good day,

I'm getting Server Error: Could not retrieve file. Check the asset URL. when I enter a .ph website is this a limitation to ose?

Thanks.

vpetersson

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:00 am

Nerdoc wrote:Good day,

I'm getting Server Error: Could not retrieve file. Check the asset URL. when I enter a .ph website is this a limitation to ose?

Thanks.
There are no built-in limits on our end at least. It's probably something with the content of the site.

The first step to troubleshooting would be to post the logs with a detailed description either here or here: https://github.com/wireload/screenly-ose/issues

Nerdoc

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:46 am

Thanks will post the logs :)

DocSavage

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:04 pm

I have everything running but have come across one problem that even after reading all the posts (i think). How can a debug a problem with a web page that renders correctly on my desktop but gets an error on the pi. Unfortunatly its a not very informative error and says press here to debug. Of course I cant press here.

Is there a way to debug a problem like this? I.E. a way to turn on the keyboard and mouse or a way to run the browser by hand?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

DocSavage

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:48 pm

I did figure this one out - but no solution. The error message is:

XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://foo.com:9200/_nodes. Origin http://monitor.lzlabs.com is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Origin.

If I use chrome it works perfectly. It just bugs me that I can't get it working this way. What I ended up doing was via a cron job I create png's of the web pages every so often and load them that way. All in all it works much faster and crisper.

-Andy
DocSavage wrote:I have everything running but have come across one problem that even after reading all the posts (i think). How can a debug a problem with a web page that renders correctly on my desktop but gets an error on the pi. Unfortunatly its a not very informative error and says press here to debug. Of course I cant press here.

Is there a way to debug a problem like this? I.E. a way to turn on the keyboard and mouse or a way to run the browser by hand?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

SteveElk

Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:41 pm

I am trying to set up a unit to test Screenly, but whilst I have typed the pin code into the website, nothing is happening.
I'm not sure why, but I wondering if our firewall is blocking the ports?
Could this be the case?
If so, which ports need opening?

Return to “Other projects”