JF002

Personal projects management

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi!

This topic is not directly related to RaspberryPi, but I think that I could find other people with the same needs as mine on this board.

I'm looking for "something" that would help me to manage my (numerous) personal projects. These projects can be related to software development, but also to day-to-day life (for example : organization of my holidays).
This tool would allow me to easily write down some notes, add documents, images, URL, make some links between items,...

For now, I'm using notepads, post-it, files and folders on my hard-drives and on the cloud, comments in the code, todo lists,... But all these items are not organised, and they are scattered everywhere. I would like to be able to organise all of them in the same place.

I searched the web for this kind of things. I found out about methodologies like Getting Things Done (GTD), Kanban boards,... and I found some tools related to them like http://kanboard.net/. But only the kanban board is not sufficient...

I also found some websites that provide that kind of services, but I would rather like something that is hosted on my own computer or personal server (raspberryPi or VPS).

It seems that a simple Wiki processor could be used for this use case.

So, do you know and use this kind of tool? Can you recommand one?

Thanks !
My web site : https://codingfield.com

Ravenous

Re: Personal projects management

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:04 pm

What about mind mapping software? I've heard FreeMind mentioned.

(Haven't used it but I've seen their sample screenshots, etc.)

JF002

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Ravenous wrote:What about mind mapping software? I've heard FreeMind mentioned.

(Haven't used it but I've seen their sample screenshots, etc.)
As far as I know it, mind mapping software allows to create nice diagrams during a brainstorming session, for example.
But is there a mind mapping software that allows to add rich content (picture, video, files, formatted documents, links), to create links between items,...?
I think that mind mappings could be a kind of content I could add in the tool I'm looking for...

AndrewS

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:40 pm

I started using CherryTree recently, which seems quite good :)
Available for both Windows and Linux, and uses just a single datafile, so I can store the datafile in Dropbox and access it both on my Linux desktop and my Windows laptop!

JF002

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:56 pm

AndrewS wrote:I started using CherryTree recently, which seems quite good :)
Available for both Windows and Linux, and uses just a single datafile, so I can store the datafile in Dropbox and access it both on my Linux desktop and my Windows laptop!
Interesting! I'll give it a try, thanks!

If such a web-based software link this existed, this would be perfect!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:12 pm

I use a Midori Traveler's notebook: you can see it in the background of the "documents" lozenge on the help page. (We didn't have anything else that looked sufficiently "documenty"!) They're wonderfully flexible: you can fill them with smaller dedicated notebooks which can then be archived when you've worked through them - a bit like a better-looking and more flexible Filofax. Mine has a diary notebook, a personal notes notebook, and a work notes notebook, along with some zip-slide pockets and a manilla card folder. It's like a spare arm: I'd be lost without the thing.

They're also very personalisable, which I really like.

Software-wise, I've tried Evernote and I use Outlook for calendar stuff (although it's really only there so my colleagues can see what I'm doing: I use my Midori notebook much more than Outlook for calendars day to day). But mostly my online-organised life is a nest of Google spreadsheets and Trello boards. (Everyone should use Trello: Ben Nuttall introduced me to it and completely cured my post-it-as-kanban-card problem.)

I also use Pinterest, but the less said about that the better.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

JF002

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:10 am

Hi Liz,
I use a Midori Traveler's notebook: you can see it in the background of the "documents" lozenge on the help page. (We didn't have anything else that looked sufficiently "documenty"!) They're wonderfully flexible: you can fill them with smaller dedicated notebooks which can then be archived when you've worked through them - a bit like a better-looking and more flexible Filofax. Mine has a diary notebook, a personal notes notebook, and a work notes notebook, along with some zip-slide pockets and a manilla card folder. It's like a spare arm: I'd be lost without the thing.

They're also very personalisable, which I really like.
It seems really nice, flexible, easy to use, quick,... But I would rather like something software-based, which would allow me to reorganise things afterwards, search,...
I'll show it to my girlfriend, she loves those kind of notebooks ;-)
Software-wise, I've tried Evernote and I use Outlook for calendar stuff (although it's really only there so my colleagues can see what I'm doing: I use my Midori notebook much more than Outlook for calendars day to day). But mostly my online-organised life is a nest of Google spreadsheets and Trello boards. (Everyone should use Trello: Ben Nuttall introduced me to it and completely cured my post-it-as-kanban-card problem.)
I'm already using my agenda to remember a lot of thing to do, indeed.
Trello seems very good, but I'm searching for something that I could host myself (I'm wary of companies that host my personal data for "free"). But this kind of things don't seem to exist...

Anyway, thanks for your ideas, I appreciate !

Return to “Off topic discussion”