poing

Re: 'Design cases', I don't really get it

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:39 pm

There are a startling amount of 'design cases' presented. Some I like very much and trigger an instant 'wannahave' feeling, others I like less.

But seriously, when you see video demos the Pi has four big black cables coming out at all sides and this won't be changed by a nice case. Someone called it an 'OctoPi' and I think that describes my feeling very well.

To me it's more logical to get a cardboard box, like this (pick required size): http://www.postpack.co.uk/acat.....xes-1.html, put all the excess cable inside, make a hole in it where the cables leave the box and put it under the 'incoming post' pile on the desk.

Not criticizing the design work, just asking myself how 'handy' an expensive designed case will be once connected to four or more cables and a USB hub in real life.

nicknml

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Not everyone will have 4 or more cables hooked up to their Raspberry Pi, I plan to access it remotely so that will only require 2 cables, power and Ethernet.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:17 pm

@poing:

I think its basically to make what is essentially a scrap of anonymous circuit board look interesting.  And protect it when not in use, which is important too, especially if it gets carried around a lot.

My Pi will be encased in a lacquered mahogany and polished brass box, just a little bigger than the board itself.  It will look special...

I intend to get some more when the supply situation eases for projects I have in mind. One at least will live in retro splendour, inside a mid-90s tower case that once contained a Gigabyte board hosting an 1Ghz Athlon processor.  It won't be a downgrade!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

SN

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:15 am

most of these 'startling number of posts' are people trying to find an easy angle to make money out of the pi – its just a physical problem, get the sizes bank on and try and get some kind of 'approval' from wherever that there's is the case to have

all a bit distasteful to be honest – I will stick with the ohp/paper folding one which was produced about a month ago – does the job, cost me nothing, just waiting for a pcb & some components to go in it…
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:12 am

I doubt the OHP one myself. I don't think it will be strong enough.

I've got two planned. A dead cheap one that kids could make themselves in a craft lesson consisting of two sheets of Perspex and some PCB pillars, and a scratch-built one made of plastic sheet, Sugru and Polymorph.

But with my RaspPi months away, I'm in no hurry.

Prometheus

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:17 am

There's also the whole sense of personalising the device and making it your own.

I had a few ideas for a housing for my own RPi, but in the end I built a case from Lego, using some of the diagrams available, combined with the perspective-corrected beta board photographs that rurwin put online, as a size and port-location reference. Now I have an empty case, just waiting for an RPi...

MINKIN2

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:18 am

I understand what you mean poing there are some ideas out there that we can all say are not to our liking. It's a personal preference thing of course.

Whilst I do enjoy reading every ones ideas, there is one design idea that does scare the living bejeabus out of me... Retro-fitting vintage computers.

Now I collect old computers and consoles (some of them are 35yrs old), they are the type of machines that the guys at the Foundation keep reminiscing about when they give the "ICT in the 80s" speech. So to read of someone's plans to gut a perfectly working Speccy makes me want to offer them the cash to rescue it before they attack it with the soldering iron. Okay if the machine is completely fried already then it would be good to put some new life into it, but to think of all of the soon to be broken & never finished computers due to incompatibility of parts is just saddening for me.

tzj

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:49 am

the ohp case is strong but only in one direction without a board inside it, with one in I don"t really know, as I has no pi :/
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

Jessie

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:39 am

The only port I wish was in a different spot is the power port, and rather than complaining I will just cut it off and move it myself.  The rest of that stuff is where it is due to the size of the board.

Most of mine will likely go nakked.  I may buy a case or two who knows.  I know I will be fitting one into a joystick for some self-contained emulation.

With these boards angled cable connectors will be your friend.  I really don't see the whole octo-Pi anology...  Why?  Because you have the Composite and audio barrel jack on one side and opposite of them is the HDMI.  No one is going to have both connected at the same time.  So at most you will have cords comming out of three sides of the board at once.  At best two opposite ends with the power and usb/ethernet being on opposite edges.  Put a couple angled adapters and it won't look too bad.  I mean it still won't be some type of statement in industrial design but it isn't going to be that bad.  For $35 I think people are expecting too much.  It's like going in for a burger and fries (chips) and complaining that you weren't served a Kobe steak.

poing

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:15 am

Jessie said:

For $35 I think people are expecting too much.  It's like going in for a burger and fries (chips) and complaining that you weren't served a Kobe steak.

You misunderstood me; I'm not complaining at all. I kinda like the 'freaky' concept and for one plan I have with the Pi (small, portable, HD and batts) I'll just adapt it as needed.

SN

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:54 pm

I built the ohp one in straight A4 paper (admittedly two sheets pritt-sticked together)
I will run it in that case to start with no matter how impractical it is just for the hell of it. . .
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

HansH

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Everybody wants something different

It is just fun to design your own case.

I got 4 cases laying around waiting for Pi's, and I still have no delivery date

Smartybones

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:28 pm

I have been working on a case design for my Pi that is going to pay homage to the original BBC B that I can print on my RepRap

I have got an original BBC Keyboard and some schematics to convert it to USB. All the connectors are going to be rear facing via ways of chassis mounted sockets on extension leads.

Its not going to be cheap, in total I have a parts list that's just tipping on £200 (inc the pi, monitor, VAT and P&P) but to me the final price is not the point.

I also have a very basic box design I can print on the RepRap for projects where its only going to be accessed remotely. so the case really is not important.

I suppose that I am saying is that aesthetics are only important depending on the application, taste and individual requirements are just so varied that its fun to see all the different designes people are coming up with.

yes, the Pi is a bit of a wart to start with, sockets were placed more to suit the need of the board designer making it as small as possible. I would imagine later editions will have a different layout.

Phil Spiegel

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:19 am

Extension cables can always be used to bring the 'User Interface' connections to more convenient locations: especially where the Rpi is being placed into a large case, this will obviously be necessary - eg integrated with a full-sized keyboard BBB B or otherwise.

arm2

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Phil Spiegel said:

Extension cables can always be used to bring the 'User Interface' connections to more convenient locations:

The one connector that can't effectively be brought to a more convenient locations is the SD card, a link for at least one 'extension' cable has been posted on the forum but it's expensive, not panel mounting, to long if anything and of unknown reliability

As the side also has the power input on it, it will be awkward to mount a R-Pi with that side brought to the edge of a case.

Lynbarn

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:07 pm

arm2 said:

Phil Spiegel said:

Extension cables can always be used to bring the 'User Interface' connections to more convenient locations:

The one connector that can't effectively be brought to a more convenient locations is the SD card, a link for at least one 'extension' cable has been posted on the forum but it's expensive, not panel mounting, to long if anything and of unknown reliability

As the side also has the power input on it, it will be awkward to mount a R-Pi with that side brought to the edge of a case.

Looking at this photo of a production board "undergoing compliance testing" at RS: http://ow.ly/i/vs0e/original the SD card actually protudes quite a bit from the edge of the board, so if the board is inset within the case such that the SD card slightly protudes, there should be plenty of room to get a micro-USB connector inside the case.

rmm200

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:26 pm

The most negative - as well as positive - aspect of the Pi to me is it's small size and weight. It will "float" on the attached cables – which is not esthetically pleasing.

Looking at my desk top, a central cable hub – is the USB hub.

I would like to make the Pi physically part of the powered USB hub both to minimize cable clutter and improve appearance.

The 10 port hub I will be using is about 3" by 6" (us Americans aren't smart enough to use Metric), so I am looking at extending the height of that case, or making a daughter case out of wood below it.

SN

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:33 pm

I think having the raspi and a powered hub in a single case is the right way to go. And as far imperial/metric thing, you got it wrong, the rest of the world (apart from the uk and usa) aren"t smart enough to handle imperial

poing

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:54 pm

SN said:

And as far imperial/metric thing, you got it wrong, the rest of the world (apart from the uk and usa) aren"t smart enough to handle imperial

'Imperial', doesn't it have something to do with 'Emperors' or 'Imperialism'? I have to remind you we locally have a 'Queen', which is just one step down of an 'Empress'. Still we use metric.

Thinking about it, it does make sense why an English bloke came up with the Pi, he has to divide everything by twelve, not by ten. Wow, masochism anyone? If you guys had done a little better in the past and actually succeeded conquering us continentals we would've come up with the Pi decades ago

scoob-1979

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:23 am

After knocking up a paper box to the external dimensions of the Pi excluding protruding connecters i have found that the ipod touch packaging box(clear perspex) houses the Pi nearly perfectly. i have also mounted a tiny external hard drive fan to add some airflow.

when my Raspberry Pi finally arrives i will be making a carbon fibre case which i believe will look the mutts nuts! unfortunately sourcing the materials for this will cost more than the actual board but thats a small sacrifice for a professional looking bespoke case!

piglet

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:36 am

Lynbarn said:.

Looking at this photo of a production board "undergoing compliance testing" at RS: http://ow.ly/i/vs0e/original the SD card actually protudes quite a bit from the edge of the board, so if the board is inset within the case such that the SD card slightly protudes, there should be plenty of room to get a micro-USB connector inside the case.

That SD Card looks very precarious!

XAPBob

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:53 am

I have to say that the MicroUSB (input power port) does look as if it could probably be rotated 90 degrees to face the same way as the HDMI port without too much board redesign.

That would (to my mind) be a (slightly) better configuration.  Obviously I can't see how many traces are under the component, or on other layers…

PS - must say - not a criticism - the board is a good looking piece of pi, but you know, we're all perfectionists with slightly different visions of perfect.

Return to “General discussion”