obarthelemy

Re: Inspirational people in Computer Science

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:45 pm

I kinda like the Dr Who idea. Not really IT people, but popular, British, and kinda nerdy. Plus ties in with the BBC, which might help sooner rather than later ^^

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:30 pm

He might be able to go back in time and get us a quote from Alan Turing? :D

st599

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:32 pm

Quote from psergiu on November 7, 2011, 09:02
1) I'm not from the UK and from all the names of UK personalities i have read from the last pages, i recognized only Stephen Fry - and all i know about him is that he's a comedian and drives a cab. And i am a bit more knowledgeable in UK personalities that most of the other indended international users.

What if he got his comedy writing/performing partner from such shows as:

Cambridge Footlights
The Young Ones
A bit of Fry and Laurie
Blackadder
Jeeves and Wooster.

Obviously we'd have to get Hugh Laurie away from that God-awful remake of Sherlock Holmes based in a hospital with his dodgy accent.

MDC

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:56 pm

If only Johnny Ball was still presenting TV for children

r3d4

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 am

i have long had a general interest in science
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_world
and the other outstanding contributions
from James Lovelock
are nothing short of inspirational.

fiction not included
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

st599

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Quote from MDC on November 18, 2011, 18:56
If only Johnny Ball was still presenting TV for children

Or Professor Heinz Wolff

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Quote from st599 on November 15, 2011, 14:32
Obviously we'd have to get Hugh Laurie away from that God-awful remake of Sherlock Holmes based in a hospital with his dodgy accent.

Just saw this - might be difficult getting him away from the most popular show on TV when he's getting paid $400k an episode...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Willofield

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Tim Berners-Lee, Dennis Ritchie.... and of course Steffen Wernéry, Wau Holland and Linus Torvalds... but i'm not sure if School-Students would recognize them...

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:43 am

I've been following this thread and I agree that if a 'star' or well know person backed and promoted the Raspberry Pi and increasing kids access to computing it would be great.
I just have the feeling that for the UK that isn't really an option since as we know for the past 20 years computing heroes have become more in the background rather than out front. I don't know who they are but I'd suspect the people who developed MW3 woudl be very interesting people to meet for kids into the game.

An alternative approach may be to get an inspirational person (charismatic, engaging, maybe even a little bit eccentric) to demonstrate what they have done and what is possible.
If you can get the kids to attend then seeing what is possible can make a big difference.
In the 80s we didn't have any celebrities or inspirational people that were big names to create the groundswell of interest. It was more seeing what was possible and having a go.

Fill a room with Raspberry Pis running interesting demos that the kids can modify and let them go wild. All curated by somebody with the energy and enthusiasm for the project so it becomes infectious.

Effectively like a mini-maker fair day/session.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

billium

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Celebrity obsessed UK!
Little mention of Denis Richie who has just died .. same week as Jobs.
I wonder if you'll be praising the Microsoft people when they are demanding the M$ tax off you, like they do with laptops, fondle slabs, and smart phones?
Alan Turin has got to be the god here. (At least he is British), or Sophie Wilson (ARM designer) if you want female. :)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:33 pm

Sophie actually works for Broadcom in Cambridge; she's been really nice about Raspberry Pi when we've spoken to her about it. I think the number of schoolkids who have heard of her, though, can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand. :(
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

st599

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Quote from jamesh on November 22, 2011, 22:30
Quote from st599 on November 15, 2011, 14:32

Just saw this - might be difficult getting him away from the most popular show on TV when he's getting paid $400k an episode...

Depends on the cause. He was on BBC 1 last week in their annual telethon.

Sciman

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:12 pm

The kids may have heard of Jonathan Ive - iPod/iPad designer - and he appreciates small computers.

scep

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Quote from billium on November 23, 2011, 14:20
I wonder if you'll be praising the Microsoft people when they are demanding the M$ tax off you, like they do with laptops, fondle slabs, and smart phones?
I geddit. Hang on, where's those ALT-codes?..... Appl€! Son?y! Curr¥s! Yeah! Take that you kerayzee kapitalists! Kap?ow!

Alan Turin has got to be the god here. (At least he is British)And dead. Out of respect for him I always like to add the trailing 'g' to his surname.

tufty

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Quote from scep on November 23, 2011, 19:49
Alan Turin has got to be the god here. (At least he is British)And dead. Out of respect for him I always like to add the trailing 'g' to his surname.
I tend to do the same for Dennis Ritchie. Well, not "add a trailing 'g'", just, y'know, bother to spell it right.

liz

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Perhaps Stephen Hawking and the estate of Alan Turing should start a club for those deprived of their Gs. Although Stephen Hawking usually seems to be given an extra S to make up for it.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

scep

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:35 pm

Quote from tufty on November 23, 2011, 21:13
I tend to do the same for Dennis Ritchie. Well, not "add a trailing 'g'", just, y'know, bother to spell it right.Pedant.

piglet

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:56 pm

How do you know they have feet?

For me it's got to be Larry Wall. Love it or hate it, PERL is the duct tape of choice for me.

Bakul Shah

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:39 am

Check this out:
Pranav Mistry: The thrilling potential of SixthSense technology -- at least watch the last 7 or 8 minutes if you are short of time. TED talks are always quite interesting but I found what Pranav shows a few steps beyond. Technology that can improve & enrich our lives is what I find really inspiring (and did as a kid). I can well imagine RasPI evolving into something like Pranav & others built (in a couple of years and for much less).

Bakul Shah

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks Simon. I think the forum software got "updated" -- other links of this form (displayed text is different than the link) that *used* to work are also broken.... If you click on the quote button, you can see the raw text in your response and it shows the right link....

pglithro

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:33 am

Surely the most inspiring figures in CompSci for kids at the moment have to be the app developers. It is likely to be the most accessible way of making money for young programmers. So how about the three Finnish guys that created Angry Birds, or some other similarly successful app makers. They would be known (by reputation if not name) worldwide by all kids and represent (to me anyhow) the kind of bedroom programming that RPi is trying to promote.

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Quote from pglithro on November 24, 2011, 10:33
Surely the most inspiring figures in CompSci for kids at the moment have to be the app developers. It is likely to be the most accessible way of making money for young programmers. So how about the three Finnish guys that created Angry Birds, or some other similarly successful app makers. They would be known (by reputation if not name) worldwide by all kids and represent (to me anyhow) the kind of bedroom programming that RPi is trying to promote.

Excellent Suggestion.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

Willofield

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:00 pm

As i mentioned in my older post... Tim Berners-Lee would be cool to present the Raspberry Pi etc. to School-Students, i dunno if anybody would recognize him in UK (ok, he's British that should be a pro point ;) , at my school in Germany many People would recognize him because an student exchange to Geneva and CERN in grade 8...

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:20 pm

I know they don't have much to do with computer science but... has anyone thought of asking these guys...

I bet they would do it as well :)

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”