mutandis

Hiding Raspberry Pi inside a wall safely

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:17 pm

I would like to hide some a Raspberry Pi inside of a wall in my home. While I'm certainly no electrician, I would bet that hiding an AC outlet inside of a wall so the DC adapter has something to plug into is NOT a safe approach.

Can anyone suggest a safe way to do this? I can't imagine I'm the first person to try this. Are there power supplies designed to be hidden inside of walls that are safe and in compliance with electrical code?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES

Re: Hiding Raspberry Pi inside a wall safely

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi,
mutandis wrote:Are there power supplies designed to be hidden inside of walls
This is such a specific requirement that I doubt you can get any listing this as its feature... A proper substitute is to obtain the power supply (from a decent shop !), which is designed to operate at zero air flow.

Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.
Running out of GPIO pins and/or need to read analog values?
Solution: http://www.flyfish-tech.com/FF32

BMS Doug

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:59 pm

I imagine that you will have some method of access to the pi?

My suggestion would be to use a fused spur feeding a (non plug type) power supply.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:19 am

Depends what the building + electrical code is at your location as well as your requirements for "hiding the Pi".

If you want to elaborate as to your goal perhaps someone local to your area could help. If not it is (perhaps) a question best suited either for an electrician or the phrase "if you have to ask you shouldn't be doing it" is best.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:21 am

How hidden does it need to be?
What is the wall made of?

Ravenous

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:08 am

I would suggest some sort of wall cabinet so the raspi and its power supply are accessible for testing. Also so that you can connect it to things and at least physically reboot it on occasion.

What will the raspi actually do? Is it just accessed from a network cable, or are you going to have a place nearby to connect a monitor? Are you hoping for wifi/radio to work within the wall?

techpaul

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:10 am

Oh and dont forget even if the whole lot is low power, there can be a heat build up when left on all the time, which will damage components over time.
Just another techie on the net - For GPIO boards see http:///www.facebook.com/pcservicesreading
or http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/pi/

Return to “General discussion”