ultimatepi

Bluetooth DOWN!

Fri May 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi all

I know I have already posted this before and I am sorry I have had to do this, but I need my bluetooth working. I heard on various forums that the Linux kernel from Xmas 2013 had a bug that stopped bluetooth from working, and that the fix is in the latest kernel. I have done a kernel upgrade and lots of other updates (including firmware) and hcitool is still showing bluetooth as DOWN. I have the required bluetooth packages installed.

I desperately need some help and advice.

Link to previous post: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 52#p553652

ultimatepi
I am still learning the world of Raspberry Pi, apologies if I double post.

I've learnt one thing about Raspberry Pi: You fix an issue, but then you discover another.

Douglas6

Re: Bluetooth DOWN!

Fri May 23, 2014 5:59 pm

For the best help, we're going to need you to give us some specific information about your system. That means you'll need to copy-and-paste results from the terminal into this forum (photos of a monitor are just too cumbersome for all). I like to ssh into the Pi from a desktop or laptop for this reason. Using Putty, you can copy text by selecting it, and paste it onto the PC with the normal ctrl-v or right-click context menu. If you can't ssh, start X-windows on the Pi, and open an LXTerminal from which you should be able to copy text. Let's start with typing the following commands and to get basic system information, immediately after a reboot, preferably:

Code: Select all

uname -a
/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
lsusb
Then:

hciconfig hci0 -a
sudo hciconfig hci0 up
dmesg
hciconfig hci0 -a
The sudo hciconfig hci0 up should try and manually power up your BT adapter, and the dmesg should list any error encountered. hciconfig hci0 -a will display the current status.

I've seen a number of the same threads you have regarding BT problems with kernels after 3.6, but I've not had any problems with 3.12, and I think I have the same CSR 2.0 dongle as you. If you get a chance, you could try installing a 3.6 version of Raspian (2013-09-25 or thereabouts, I think). It has reportedly solved others' problems. In my experience, BT is a tricky thing, and not just on the Pi.

ultimatepi

Fri May 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi there

So far I have tried the two commands you have posted:

uname -a /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version lsusb just returns:
uname: extra operand /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd
Try uname--help for more information.

hciconfig hci0 -a sudo hciconfig hci0 up dmesg hciconfig hci0 -a just returns:
Warning: unknown command-sudo
Warning: unknown command-hciconfig
Warning: unknown command- hci0
Can't init device hci0: Operation not permitted (1)

There were speech marks etc in the outputs but I have struggled to put them in, hopefully this is all you need.

All the best

ultimatepi

I've learnt one thing about Raspberry Pi: You fix an issue, but then you discover another.

Douglas6

Fri May 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Ok, those commands were intended to be entered on separate lines. Perhaps I should have done this:

uname -a
This prints out the kernel version

This prints out the firmware version

lsusb
Lists details of your USB devices

hciconfig hci0 -a
Lists the status and properties if your BT adapter

sudo hciconfig hci0 up
Tries to bring the BT adapter up

dmesg
Prints any kernal errors encountered

hciconfig hci0 -a
Checks the adapter status again
Seven commands, with an <enter> between each one.
Last edited by Douglas6 on Fri May 23, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeJay

Fri May 23, 2014 6:45 pm

I think you might be being hindered by a web browser that is not rendering code samples correctly.

There were THREE commands in @Douglas6's first offer of assistance

uname -a

lsusb

Then another FOUR commands in the second block -

hciconfig hci0 -a

sudo hciconfig hci0 up

dmesg

hciconfig hci0 -a

Each of those needs to be entered at a shell (command line) prompt, and completed by pressing [Return] at the end of each command.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

ultimatepi

Fri May 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi there

I have tried my best to get the outputs, sorry it's just low res images, I couldn't get onto my Windows PC and SSH as Pi and PC are hooked up to a TV. It was also very difficult to get every line of code in dmesg, because they're were hundreds of lines of code and the command ran too fast. I could only get a bit of that command, there is a bit on bluetooth, hopefully that is what your after?

Again, apologies I couldn't copy and paste the outputs.

PS: I will post the fourth output in another post as 3 is maximum I can put in one post.

ultimatepi
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (20.81 KiB) Viewed 8253 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 8253 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (20.41 KiB) Viewed 8253 times

ultimatepi

Fri May 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi there

Attached is the fourth photo.

ultimatepi
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 8252 times

Douglas6

Fri May 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Ok, what I get from that, is that you're on the 3.12 release (like me). I can't tell if we have the same firmware version (the images get scrunched on the forum and are nigh unreadable), but if you did a successful rpi-update, we should be pretty close. I can't read the device and id numbers of your CSR adapter, but from the image at ModMyPi, we have the same adapter. But you're having the "Can't init device hci0: Operation not supported (95)" problem and I'm not...in fact, a number of people seem to have it, but surely not everyone. The dmesgs might help someone, but frankly they wouldn't tell me much.

So. The best advice I can give is to fall back to the 2013-09-25(?) Raspbian Wheezy image, which seems to work for those affected. I'm not confident on just how to do that without re-imaging a new card, but if you ask here, I'm sure there's a way. Or you could use a patched version of 3.10 that forum member itsmedoofer has made, tho unless you know you need the later kernel, I'd personally stick with the official release. But he's got more information in this thread.

ultimatepi

Fri May 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi there

Thanks for the information. Is there a way of reverting back to an older kernel that has bluetooth working? I am using NOOBS so I don't particularly wan't to go back to an older raspbian image.

ultimatepi

ultimatepi

Sun May 25, 2014 12:34 pm

*Update*

Problem is partially fixed. Downgraded my kernel, and hciconfig -a now says the adapter is UP RUNNING PSCAN, but the bluetooth manager will not open. I will be very happy for some help!

ultimatepi

ultimatepi

Sun May 25, 2014 1:03 pm

*Update*

I think the problem is fixed. The GUI seems to load ok.

I will put instructions to fix the issue below, (please note these have been put together from various posts)

Firstly, downgrade your kernel to 3.6.11 by running rpi-update 8234d5148aded657760e9ecd622f324d140ae891
in Terminal. ( Must run as root) You can use sudo -s to give temporary root. Then do a reboot by doing sudo reboot. You can run hciconfig -a to see if bluetooth is up, the line where it used to say DOWN for me should now say UP RUNNING PSCAN.

If you cant open bluetooth managerlike me, run sudo nano /etc/group in Terminal. Find the lp group line, mine was lp:x:7: and add pi to the end of the line. So now it should be lp:x:7:pi. Save the file as group.new. Then back in Terminal, run sudo cp group.new /etc/group. Make sure to do a reboot after, run sudo reboot. Next time you log in, bluetooth manager should open!

ultimatepi

Return to “Beginners”