riffraff

Re: YOU SUCK: the venting thread

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:08 am

@ rurwin
How well I know, in my father's business we had to coordinate with designers, vendors and installers. I had to get a local printing company to supply us with a stack of mini Pantone charts to Fedex to the colorblind. :roll:

riffraff

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:15 am

magno23 wrote:you know what sucks?
-wanting a first job and the only offers are for "experienced" people even if it is for a shitty job.
-bad whether, i just hate it.
Or applying for a job asking for applicants with 5 years experience using a package that has only been on the market for less than a year. You know when you have to explain that to the employer you're not gonna get the job (not that you'd want to work for an idiot anyway). ;)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 am

riffraff wrote:
magno23 wrote:you know what sucks?
-wanting a first job and the only offers are for "experienced" people even if it is for a shitty job.
-bad whether, i just hate it.
Or applying for a job asking for applicants with 5 years experience using a package that has only been on the market for less than a year. You know when you have to explain that to the employer you're not gonna get the job (not that you'd want to work for an idiot anyway). ;)
LOL, that's a diplomacy test. You'll get the job if you can "tell them to go to hell in such a way as to make them look forward to the trip". :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

tufty

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 pm

My feet hurt. My skiboots, which I wear for 8 hours a day, 6 days out of 8, need to have the shells pushed out a bit. 3 months has been fine, but over the last week it's getting to the point where I can barely stand up.

That sucks. I'm walking like a tourist.

riffraff

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:05 am

When I got my Pi, I set a news category for "Raspberry Pi" on my android's Genie news widget. I was pleased to find several new articles each day, but disgusted at breadth and depth of ignorance expressed in some of the comments readers had left. I won't go into detail. So, to those of my countrymen who can't seem to do any more than sink to the depths of trolldom:

YOU SUCK !!!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:58 pm

No way in this world whatsoever am I ever going to be able to solder anything to a micro USB panel socket.

The air may be tinged slightly blue for a while.

morphy_richards

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Why is there a program in channel 4 right now which is about people watching telly?It's not one born every minute or bank of Dave, its all about people who are watching bank of Dave or one born every minute! What's going on, what is the world coming to?

noob

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:40 pm

not as terrible as honey boo boo :cry:

aTao

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:47 pm

Sheep, I bloody hate sheep.
Nevermind though, yesterday I held a couple of rams while the vet turned them into wethers. Seems like I might have got superficial frostbite while doing it..... Ibloody hate sheep.
>)))'><'(((<

sej7278

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:00 pm

morphy_richards wrote:Why is there a program in channel 4 right now which is about people watching telly?It's not one born every minute or bank of Dave, its all about people who are watching bank of Dave or one born every minute! What's going on, what is the world coming to?
gogglebox or some crap wasn't it? essentially we were watching chavs on tv watching tv - WTF?! then after the show was the show they were watching....

it was some horrible mismatch of points-of-view and big brother.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:42 pm

noob wrote:you know what sucks? that theres a french subforum, a german subforum, a subforum with asian characters that i cant recognise, but not a dutch subforum :evil:
well I pleaded for one, so there is a Dutch forum now!

maar laat me nu niet in de steek en gebruik hem ook! :roll:

Vennotius

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:22 pm

If Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy could comment here... :shock:

noob

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:20 pm

mahjongg wrote:
noob wrote:you know what sucks? that theres a french subforum, a german subforum, a subforum with asian characters that i cant recognise, but not a dutch subforum :evil:
well I pleaded for one, so there is a Dutch forum now!

maar laat me nu niet in de steek en gebruik hem ook! :roll:
bedankt

riffraff

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:42 am

30 years ago I could sit for hours, days if it were possible, in front of a Color Computer connected to a crappy TV with bad color alignment in a folding chair with a bent leg, sagging seat and a 10 degree list to starboard. Now I'm challenged to spend more than 15 minutes in a relatively comfortably curved ladderback chair staring at a hi-def TV without back pain, eye strain and brutal hand cramps.

I was at first convinced that I'd spend much of my precious "Pi Time" with a code editor, but sadly, after exhausting days, it seems my most favored apps are Clementine and AisleRiot. OLD AGE sucks. :|

morphy_richards

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Why does eight out of ten cats keep doing countdown? It was quite good as a one off but I would quite like to watch the original formula for a bit of mindless Friday night viewing.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:14 pm

morphy_richards wrote:Why does eight out of ten cats keep doing countdown? It was quite good as a one off but I would quite like to watch the original formula for a bit of mindless Friday night viewing.
Because it's hysterically funny?

But mainly because it has the lovely Rachel Riley on it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

DougieLawson

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:21 pm

jamesh wrote:
morphy_richards wrote:Why does eight out of ten cats keep doing countdown? It was quite good as a one off but I would quite like to watch the original formula for a bit of mindless Friday night viewing.

Do I detect a stalker?

They explained that it's due to some agreement to make episodes of 8 out of 10 Cats at the ITV Studios in Media City, Salford and the studio they get to use is the Countdown one. It's clearly cheaper when you don't have to build a new set.
It's also mildly amusing.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

blachanc

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:33 pm

jamesh wrote:

So funny to see people discuss about something I have no clue about...
I did a search, and looks like a translation of a famous french (france) program called des chiffres et des lettre.

The USA have/had Vana White
The UK have Rachel Riley
and we in canada have Toronto Mayor Rob Ford :lol:

Ben
NOT FAIR !!!!!
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

riffraff

Mon May 12, 2014 6:12 am

rurwin wrote:No way in this world whatsoever am I ever going to be able to solder anything to a micro USB panel socket.

The air may be tinged slightly blue for a while.
About the same luck I'm gonna have soldering wires to the terminals of a salvaged color display from an old Nokia.

BMS Doug

Thu May 15, 2014 8:49 am

People who can't manage to write a coherent sentence, asking for assistance with something that you understand so poorly that you aren't even aware that you already have it working and you just think that it isn't.

You suck.

Run on sentences, you suck too.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Forgotten01

Sun May 18, 2014 12:19 am

What sucks is when you get a Pi, and when you want to do something with it, your imagination is bigger than your wallet.......

Oh yeah and crappy composite video quality, just plain horrible for reading text.
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
Scott Adams

DougieLawson

Sun May 18, 2014 11:53 am

What is it with cases and cooling and f****** fans?

We don't need cases, we don't need cooling and we certainly don't need a f****** fan.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Douglas6

Sun May 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Bluez. Specifically Bluez documentation. More specifically the lack thereof. You SUCK!

Forgotten01

Mon May 19, 2014 1:00 am

"We don't need cases"

I hate to contradict you here but if I didn't have a case on my pi, I'd probably have ruined about six of them by now
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
Scott Adams

blachanc

Mon May 19, 2014 1:00 am

what sucks is when, after doing a basic search, you start writing a post.
then you do additional search to illustrate your question, and then realized you lost 20 minutes because your last search yielded your answer.

Ben

JUNK_POST_TO_DISREGARD:

Hi,
I was reading the beginner post to try to understand when a user should do a firmware update

sudo rpi-update(firmware update) is not mentioned anywhere which makes me believe we should not do this as a routine step:
abishur wrote:Starter guide, started by Abishur, post edited and expanded by Mahjongg.

Updating & Upgrading Raspbian
If you are using an older Rasbian distribution, (pre-loaded card) and have an internet connection, (just plug in an Ethernet cable to your ethernet modem should do the trick) you might want to upgrade and update Raspbian to the latest version. To do so reboot Rasbian, and just do:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
and wait a few minutes for the upgrade to finish, then restart your PI.
On elinux, there is also a strong warning against it ( http://elinux.org/RPi_Software ):
rpi-update is also available as an easier way of updating the firmware and kernel. Please note, as this firmware is bleeding edge, it really should only be used by advanced users and could potentially still have bugs and be incompatible with existing images.
Then, as I said, I found this:

on stackexchange, and some part of this forum it seems more like a regular thing to do :

rpi-update on stackexchange

Or in the camera board forum:
jamesh wrote:Do an rpi-update to get the latest firmware, and check the differences in the recent raspistill code to see what needs to change. Not much btw.

PS: If there is any official documentation regarding when to use rpi-update, I could not find it.

/JUNK_POST_TO_DISREGARD

this post answered my question:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
pablo808 wrote: Only run rpi-update if you need the latest bleeding edit updates.
That's pretty much it. I would change that to "Only run rpi-update if you know you need a specific build of the firmware or if you were asked to do so by Dom."

Yes, apt-get upgrade WILL update your firmware to the latest stable version, and that MAY conflict with rpi-update. If you see something on the internet that says otherwise, it's probably outdated information.
So did the official doc:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... pdating.md

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

Return to “Off topic discussion”