Bosse_B

FTP on Raspbian?

Thu May 15, 2014 6:47 am

I have used RASPBMC for a while with XBMC and on it I have been able to connect via FileZilla on regular FTP to transfer logfiles and such.
Now I have bought a second Pi to use as a VPN server for when I am going away from home. On this I have installed RASPBIAN from the January 2014 download.

When installing PPTP VPN server (as I had already done on the raspbmc Pi) I also wanted to check the log-files after testing it so I tried to connect with FileZilla like I had to the first Pi.
But it refused connection!
Very strange, I thought that the ftp was part of the operating system, but apparently not on raspbian.

So how can I enable ftp on this new raspbian Pi?

And how can I see which ftp is installed on the first Pi (raspbmc).

I have googled and all kinds of strange tutorials and suggestions come up with various different ftp servers...
I don't want to get something else than just the plain stock ftp server allowing me to read/write the files on the Pi more easily than cutting/pasting into nano in a PuTTY session...
Bo Berglund
Sweden

joan

Re: FTP on Raspbian?

Thu May 15, 2014 7:22 am

A lot of people use the version of sftp bundled with the openSSH suite as a safer alternative to ftp. That will be pre-installed in Raspbian. If you can't use that I'd suggest you install vsftpd.

Bosse_B

Thu May 15, 2014 8:29 am

I tried to change the port from 21 to 22 in FileZilla and SUCCESS! It connected just fine and I could download syslog and examine it like I intended to.

I wonder what service is running to accept FTP over port 22, though?
How can I find out?

I looked at the sub-directory names in /etc/rc2.d but nothing really indicated ftp.
Is there a command that one can use to list the running services by name (and perhaps port numbers in use)??

NOTE: I am not intending this FTP to be used for anything else than my local accesses for managing the Pi. It will not be exposed via the router for example. The only way [u]into[/u] my network will be the VPN channel.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

rpdom

Thu May 15, 2014 8:33 am

Port 22 is ssh. Filezilla will be using sftp on that.

eltrasimaco

Fri May 16, 2014 11:58 am

apt-get install vsftpd
for security reasons stop it after using filezilla

Bosse_B

Fri May 16, 2014 12:58 pm

No need because I could use sftp with Filezilla.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

DougieLawson

Fri May 16, 2014 1:00 pm

eltrasimaco wrote:apt-get install vsftpd
for security reasons stop it after using filezilla
For better security, don't bother doing it at all.
Filezilla works with sshd (which is already installed and available and much more secure).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Raspbian”