gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Mon May 12, 2014 8:12 pm

We should be good for August time frame, depending on other things getting / not getting in the way

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

patmur2010
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:32 am

Looking forward to the display!

User avatar
zed_thirteen
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:33 am

Me too, but I suspect that in August RS and Element 14 will only invite us to register our interest or pre-order.

MattPackwood123
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:27 am

I am sure there will be a rush for the first units.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23867
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:41 am

I think one reason for the time to market is to ensure there is enough supply in the channel. But for this sort of thing it is really difficult to predict demand.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

User avatar
Cancelor
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:44 am

Do we have a price yet?
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2726
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Looking forward to it.
gsh wrote:We should be good for August time frame, depending on other things getting / not getting in the way

Gordon
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

meetjack
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:39 pm

This is great!!!

il_diavolo
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:22 pm

I've got 50 quid saved up, any guesses as to how much more I'll need :-)

mung
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:49 am

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:05 pm

il_diavolo wrote:I've got 50 quid saved up, any guesses as to how much more I'll need :-)
I hope some advance price information can be given, it could also allow people to show their interest at a given price and let the foundation workout supply better.

I have to say I have been looking forward to the display ever since the rpi was released, but only because I assumed it would be cheap, my guess based on what I would pay myself is that if it is much more than £50 then demand will be drastically reduced.

Of course most products start high and reduce the price and workout the elasticity, as its very hard to ever justify raising the price of a product, I hope rpi or its distributors have not become too commercial and try to make bigger profits from the screen based on the success of the rpi.

Also there are a number of quite cheap alternatives now becoming available at under £50 7" or 10"
http://www.dx.com/p/7-digital-touch-scr ... 70atPldVho

I am also hoping that the display will be a proper low power dsi one, though from what I have read that maynot be the case as it seems to use some sort of bridge driver board?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23867
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:58 am

IIRC the smaller one is under £50, but my memory may be faulty!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Killasin
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:28 pm

mung wrote:Of course most products start high and reduce the price and workout the elasticity, as its very hard to ever justify raising the price of a product, I hope rpi or its distributors have not become too commercial and try to make bigger profits from the screen based on the success of the rpi.
Based on the recently released Model B+, I highly doubt that the Foundation has gone too commercial.

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10481
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:51 pm

I reckon the first we'll see about it will be someone in the world get's a display delivered by mistake or a distribution shop gets them out on display before they are announced ....
;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23867
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:33 pm

RaTTuS wrote:I reckon the first we'll see about it will be someone in the world get's a display delivered by mistake or a distribution shop gets them out on display before they are announced ....
;)
You have no idea the pain encountered before the B+ launch due to leaks and major IT web cockups (none by the Foundation who know how to keep a secret). Quite a few heads should roll in my opinion.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Joe Schmoe
Posts: 4277
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:14 pm

For those of us in the peanut gallery, what is this about a B+?

What's dat?

P.S. Whoever was in charge of keeping it a secret sure succeeded with me…
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

ame
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:21 am
Location: Korea

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:For those of us in the peanut gallery, what is this about a B+?

What's dat?

P.S. Whoever was in charge of keeping it a secret sure succeeded with me…
You must have been living under a rock. Check the front page.

Having said that, I read about it on another site before seeing it here.

Joe Schmoe
Posts: 4277
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:03 am

ame wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:For those of us in the peanut gallery, what is this about a B+?

What's dat?

P.S. Whoever was in charge of keeping it a secret sure succeeded with me…
You must have been living under a rock. Check the front page.

Having said that, I read about it on another site before seeing it here.
Actually, I found the big "B+ Q&A" thread just after I left this thread. Read the first page of it - got the drift. Actually, it looks very interesting. Amazon is selling the B+ for $48 and a bundle with a (2A) power supply for $55 (both free shipping). I'm seriously thinking of getting one; do these prices sound about right?

Also note: the way I read this board is strictly using "Unread Posts", so I never see the "front page" (whatever that is…).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

ame
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:21 am
Location: Korea

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:10 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
ame wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:For those of us in the peanut gallery, what is this about a B+?

What's dat?

P.S. Whoever was in charge of keeping it a secret sure succeeded with me…
You must have been living under a rock. Check the front page.

Having said that, I read about it on another site before seeing it here.
Actually, I found the big "B+ Q&A" thread just after I left this thread. Read the first page of it - got the drift. Actually, it looks very interesting. Amazon is selling the B+ for $48 and a bundle with a (2A) power supply for $55 (both free shipping). I'm seriously thinking of getting one; do these prices sound about right?

Also note: the way I read this board is strictly using "Unread Posts", so I never see the "front page" (whatever that is…).
It was also mentioned on the BBC, and other popular websites.

"Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, direct your interlocutor to google.com."

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
Last edited by ame on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jbeale
Posts: 3498
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:00 am

The front page meaning http://www.raspberrypi.org (without /forums/ ...) or more specifically the latest blog posting on the front page: http://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/#introd ... del-b-plus

The MSRP for Model B+ is still $35 just like the Model B, of course not including tax / shipping / etc. In the US, MCM Electronics has it listed for $35 and it's even in stock at the moment: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-16317 ...be aware their shipping charges will add to that, however.

User avatar
wallarug
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:54 am

Is the DSI display coming soon now that we have a new RPi rev ?

PhilippGeyer
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:51 am

I would also be very interested in a small display that fits on top of the raspberry.
That would be really usefull

User avatar
alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2869
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:44 am

PhilippGeyer wrote:I would also be very interested in a small display that fits on top of the raspberry.
That would be really usefull
Sounds like you need a Texy screen or a PiTFT.
Last edited by alexeames on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:48 am

..it even fits a B+ ;)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 93&t=65566

Thanks Alex.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

il_diavolo
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Sorry if this question has already been dealt with, but will the "official display" be able to show the preview image from the "official camera" or will that still only be available on the HDMI output?

User avatar
alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2869
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Any news on official Raspberry Display?

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:46 pm

il_diavolo wrote:Sorry if this question has already been dealt with, but will the "official display" be able to show the preview image from the "official camera" or will that still only be available on the HDMI output?
The early proto that was on display in Manchester was able to do that. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Return to “General discussion”