ski522
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Sound is bad on USB sound card after recent upgrade

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:26 pm

I've been using a PCM2704 card for several years with great success. Well after doing a "rpi-update" my sound is awful, sounds like a badly received FM radio station. How do I go back to my prior update? Looking at dmesg and syslog provide no clues as to the problem.

Anyone else using the PCM2704 finding problems with the recent update?

User avatar
GTR2Fan
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: South East UK

Re: Sound is bad on USB sound card after recent upgrade

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:37 pm

ski522 wrote:Anyone else using the PCM2704 finding problems with the recent update?
No. But I'm having what sounds like the same symptoms (like a badly distorted mis-tuned FM radio) with a USB sound dongle based on the CM119 sound chip. I've only just received mine today, but it was recommended by someone of this forum as working. It would be nice to get to the bottom of it as it works perfectly plugged into my PC's USB ports.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35808
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Sound is bad on USB sound card after recent upgrade

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Have you tried the 3.12.18+ kernel which includes the re-written USB driver?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

ski522
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Sound is bad on USB sound card after recent upgrade

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:01 pm

Yeah, the upgrade did that as shown in dmesg
Linux version 3.12.18+ ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.7.2 20120731 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1+bzr2458 - Linaro GCC 2012.08) ) #677 PREEMPT Mon Apr 28 22:45:00 BST 2014
I added the "dwc_otg.speed=1" in the /boot/cmdline.txt to lower the USB ports speed and now the sound is find...something screwy with running USB at full speed which I used to do with prior versions, so there's a new bug somewhere.

ski522
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Sound is bad on USB sound card after recent upgrade

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:04 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:
ski522 wrote:Anyone else using the PCM2704 finding problems with the recent update?
No. But I'm having what sounds like the same symptoms (like a badly distorted mis-tuned FM radio) with a USB sound dongle based on the CM119 sound chip. I've only just received mine today, but it was recommended by someone of this forum as working. It would be nice to get to the bottom of it as it works perfectly plugged into my PC's USB ports.
See my post above to fix it temporarily, lowers the USB ports speed to 12MBps. Basically "sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt"

My file looks like:

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.speed=1 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35808
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Sound is bad on USB sound card after recent upgrade

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:07 pm

ski522 wrote:Yeah, the upgrade did that as shown in dmesg
Linux version 3.12.18+ ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.7.2 20120731 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1+bzr2458 - Linaro GCC 2012.08) ) #677 PREEMPT Mon Apr 28 22:45:00 BST 2014
I added the "dwc_otg.speed=1" in the /boot/cmdline.txt to lower the USB ports speed and now the sound is find...something screwy with running USB at full speed which I used to do with prior versions, so there's a new bug somewhere.
You'll need to post an issue on Git as jdb requested here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 01#p543101
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

User avatar
GTR2Fan
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: South East UK

Re: Sound is bad on USB sound card after recent upgrade

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:09 pm

Thank you. I'll try that tomorrow. Does that also clobber data transfer speeds? My OSes run from an HDD in a USB caddy and I'd rather sacrifice USB sound support than suffer a massive data transfer slowdown.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

ski522
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Sound is bad on USB sound card after recent upgrade

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:12 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
ski522 wrote:Yeah, the upgrade did that as shown in dmesg
Linux version 3.12.18+ ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.7.2 20120731 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1+bzr2458 - Linaro GCC 2012.08) ) #677 PREEMPT Mon Apr 28 22:45:00 BST 2014
I added the "dwc_otg.speed=1" in the /boot/cmdline.txt to lower the USB ports speed and now the sound is find...something screwy with running USB at full speed which I used to do with prior versions, so there's a new bug somewhere.
You'll need to post an issue on Git as jdb requested here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 01#p543101
Thanks I'll do that. My Pi has been working great for several years that I haven't followed this forum in a while, first time I've had a problem in a quite a while with it.

Return to “General discussion”