Just joined this forum and I am a raspberry noob in that I have just been playing with them for the last month.
Am using this webcam software and it is great! So thanks for making this!
However I am encountering a few issues I hope someone can help me with.
I have set it up and it works good during the day on 3 PIs with each a camera.
/var/www/media is nicely mounted to my Synology nas and the files are nicely stored there.
However, night conditions are bad. auto exposure can not compensate. (which is really unfortunate)
The trouble starts when setting exposure to night. In itself this works BUT if you start motion via the web interface it breaks.
The image in the web interface keeps changing exposure it seems. Also the state goes from MD_READY to BOXING, VIDEO, etc.). It will keep repeating this a few time until your get the alert (dialog telling to reset the RPi or cam software). And then mostly a reboot is needed.
I have update the firmware to the latest, did apt-get dist-upgrade and apt-get upgrade. (so should have the latest of all SW?)
I would really like to be able to use the night exposure setting as it seems to be what I want viewing it via the web interface. Only can not start motion detection then, it will not work. And I need motion detection to record stuff that happened in front of the camera. Anyone any ideas how to get this working?
What else I have learned so far:
- do not use wifi, gives all kinds of trouble (like mounting that does not work at boot, takes to long for network to be established). So all have fixed cabling.
- camera HW kit is not that sturdy. pressing the yellow sunny label helps a lot in most cases
- always shutdown your PI in a nice way: shutdown -h 0 (else it can corrupt your SD)
- always back up your SD image
- config file for raspimjpeg helps in setting up the camera nicely. (except I can not set motion to start via that config, it breaks the web interface sofware like explained above.
- can not use synology surveillance with this setup. It will not connect to port 80 and use cam.jpg. (but don't need it as with the web interface software explained here and mounting it to my nas I have a better setup (do not need extra camera licenses for synology in this way as well)
- webiopi is also great for controlling IO!
- I love the PIs, great stuff!