NicoVanDerDussen

Why use VNC and not XRDP?

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:42 am

Hi,

Reading the forums and Twitters, it seems as if preference is given to TightVNC server and not XRDP.

However, I found that XRDP installs complete to even start when booting (sudo apt-get install xrdp)

This is much easier than configuring TightVNCServer.

Is there reason for the preference to use TightVNCserver rather than XRDP?

Thanks
Nico
Setting up your Raspberry Pi to work with a 3G dongle http://nvdd.info/11gKrsZ

klricks

Re: Why use VNC and not XRDP?

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:36 pm

NicoVanDerDussen wrote:Hi,

Reading the forums and Twitters, it seems as if preference is given to TightVNC server and not XRDP.

However, I found that XRDP installs complete to even start when booting (sudo apt-get install xrdp)

Thanks
Nico
One reason is that XRDP will always open a new and independent session(s). The local session is not aware of the remote connection(s).
With TightVNC you can access the main session so that what is done remotely is shown on the local screen and vs.

Also RDP is a Windows invention. If I remember right TightVNC is actually installed and used by XRDP.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Joe Schmoe

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:49 pm

One reason is consistency. If you are used to using VNC, it helps to continue to use VNC. Of course, the opposite is equally true: If you are used to using RDP, it helps to continue using RDP [*].

One reason to favor VNC over RDP in the Windows world is that RDP always opens a new session (and kills the primary session in the process - both literally and figuratively - trust me, I know of what I speak). So, you should never use RDP on Windows. And, since you shouldn't use it on Windows, you shouldn't use it on Linux (or anything else), because of "the previous paragraph" (above).

[*] Rule #1 of programmers has not been repealed. Programmers like what they know.

P.S. Ease of setup is a one-time thing. It is essentially a non-issue in the long term.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

blachanc

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:09 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
P.S. Ease of setup is a one-time thing. It is essentially a non-issue in the long term.
Joe, you need to try to view things from a newbies perspective:

This first step can be difficult for newbies, and remote access can be one of the first task someone would like/need to do.

XRDP is a two steps (one step on PI, One step on the client( PC MAC ANDROID IPAD)) task that does not need any configuration.

I still how a github pull in the PI documentation regarding xrdp .... Easter weekend is probably a good time to do this :-)

https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/issues/26

Ben

PS: as an example, I struggled 1-2 hours to get mail working the first time, now it is trivial (5-10 minutes) when I need to reinstall.
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:26 pm

blachanc wrote:
XRDP is a two steps (one step on PI, One step on the client( PC MAC ANDROID IPAD)) task that does not need any configuration.
VNC is TWO steps. One on the RPi (sudo apt-get install tightvnc*), One on the client (PC, Mac, Android, etc.) that doesn't need any special configuration except for the IP address of the RPi and the password set when you first start vncserver on the RPi.

The only benefit of RDP is that the Windows client comes pre-installed on Microsoft systems.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

blachanc

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Only way to close the debate would be to find a 16 years old kid and ask him to do
the required steps (VNC vs XRDP) on two different PI, and this on the 4 platforms PC MAC ANDROID IPAD.

Otherwise, will will ourselves look like kids trying to convince each other. ;)

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

Joe Schmoe

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:53 pm

VNC is TWO steps.
Indeed - that was my real point. That "ease of use" in programming contexts almost always boils down to "Rule #1" (Programmers like what they know). If you are comfortable with RDP (and Windows-y things in general), RDP will look so much easier. There's nothing wrong with that.

It's like asking what is easier: English or Spanish? Well, obviously, the answer is whatever language your learned first. And so it is with everything.

Cancelor

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:27 am

I speak Russian.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

Joe Schmoe

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:22 pm

Cancelor wrote:I speak Russian.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that English and Spanish are the only languages in the world.

Although, they certainly are the two primaries around here (where I live) …

mikronauts

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:14 pm

XRDP only kills the open session on Windows, and that is only due to a deliberate crippling of Windows in order to disallow multi-user use of it. If you google, you will find replacement dll's that allow several people to log into a windows box at once.

I've tested xrdp'ing into one of my Pi's simultaneously from two computers, worked fine, while the local Pi console was also running. (mind you, it did slow down the response speed a bit, but it was quite usable for most things)
Joe Schmoe wrote:One reason is consistency. If you are used to using VNC, it helps to continue to use VNC. Of course, the opposite is equally true: If you are used to using RDP, it helps to continue using RDP [*].

One reason to favor VNC over RDP in the Windows world is that RDP always opens a new session (and kills the primary session in the process - both literally and figuratively - trust me, I know of what I speak). So, you should never use RDP on Windows. And, since you shouldn't use it on Windows, you shouldn't use it on Linux (or anything else), because of "the previous paragraph" (above).

[*] Rule #1 of programmers has not been repealed. Programmers like what they know.

http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

klricks

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:32 pm

mikronauts wrote:XRDP only kills the open session on Windows, and that is only due to a deliberate crippling of Windows in order to disallow multi-user use of it. If you google, you will find replacement dll's that allow several people to log into a windows box at once.

I've tested xrdp'ing into one of my Pi's simultaneously from two computers, worked fine, while the local Pi console was also running. (mind you, it did slow down the response speed a bit, but it was quite usable for most things)
You also have to remember to logoff the RPi properly for each remote session. Don't just close RDP or else you could get multiple sessions left running on the RPi.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

MrEngman

Sat May 03, 2014 3:40 am

NicoVanDerDussen wrote:Hi,

Thanks
Nico
Yes there is. For whatever reason xRDP does not work for me, but TightVNCserver and SSH do.

Can anyone suggest what I could look at to fix it? I have my own domain with dhcp and DNS servers and can access my Pi's using IP or hostname when using SSH or TightVNCserver.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Return to “Beginners”