geoffpalmeruk

16*2 display

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:27 am

Hi Everyone,

So i'm a bit of a N00b to coding however have spent a lot of time trying different things... i'm starting to confuse myself.

I currently use my Pi to run Raspbmc on my TV and was aiminig to get a 16*2 display to show the IP and UpTime for the pi.

My questions are:
1. Is this even possible?
2. Is this what i want? https://www.adafruit.com/products/181

SteveSpencer

Re: 16*2 display

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Yes, and yes.

The hardest part of any project is the idea, so you've cracked that bit already!

Driving an LCD board generally requires a few GPIO pins, and there are alternatives, such as an I2C piggyback board, or even a serial board. However, if you aren't using the GPIO for anything else, why spend the extra money?

A 16x2 LCD is relatively straightforward. You need to work out the wiring for it, but conveniently, there is an article on the page you've linked to which explains how (although it uses a Pi Cobbler as well). If you're handy with a soldering iron and a spot-face cutter for strip-board, there are other ways to do it.

Don't be put off by apparent failures, and break down the project into small steps, which is my basic advice to anyone. The article on Adafruit shows how to do most of what you want, but working out what the uptime is isn't included - that's something for you to do.
Also, a more advanced version might be to 'scroll' the display, but don't worry about that to begin with.
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

geoffpalmeruk

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

I have never soldered in my life so could be an interestng learning curve! the plan is to hide it all inside the Shortcrust case, then when the unit is powered off you can't see anything. I'm not to worried about scrolling like you say, maybe in the future.

I may well go ahead and get me one and then the fun comes of working out the code.

Douglas6

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:16 pm

You might want to Google "Raspbmc lcdproc". The coding may be already done for you.

DougieLawson

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:26 pm

geoffpalmeruk wrote:
My questions are:
1. Is this even possible?
2. Is this what i want? https://www.adafruit.com/products/181
1. Yes
2. I got a PiFaceCAD https://www.modmypi.com/piface-control-and-display as that gives you a bit more than just a 16*2 LCD in a ready to run, no soldering needed package.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Beginners”