sorath72

Re: One Dollar Computer's Future

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Me and my dad have been talking about one day having a one dollar computer sold right here in Canada.  Seeing a computer being 25 dollars it will only be a matter of time until you see a real computer, "maybe laptop?" inside a dollar store. Already you see laptops being sold with android and windows CE on it under 100 dollars. Its only a matter of time I think that it will go just like the calculator did. The calculator used to be 100's of dollars but came down to little as one dollar. I see the future of computers being really cheap. Affordable for all to enjoy computers around the world.

That's just my opinion. What is yours?

Kernel

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:23 pm

sorath72 said:

Me and my dad have been talking about one day having a one dollar computer sold right here in Canada.  Seeing a computer being 25 dollars it will only be a matter of time until you see a real computer, "maybe laptop?" inside a dollar store. Already you see laptops being sold with android and windows CE on it under 100 dollars. Its only a matter of time I think that it will go just like the calculator did. The calculator used to be 100's of dollars but came down to little as one dollar. I see the future of computers being really cheap. Affordable for all to enjoy computers around the world.

That's just my opinion. What is yours?

I agree that costs will come down - my first ever pc cost £1400, my latest laptop cost £429

and my android phone cost £69 and is effectively a minicomputer

now with the pi costing about £30 inc. vat - it does seem the only way is down - but I think it will take quite a few years yet

Actually your post has reminded me of: http://www.1729.com/blog/OneDo.....puter.html

I don't agree with everything he says but it an interesting read

Alchemy

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Technically you don't have to buy a computer to HDMI to the TV. There is probably a computer in the TV already.

If predicting the future was just predicting technology it would be easy. But you have to predict what products will allow. That is hard.

SN

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:41 pm

I paid £70 in 1981 for a ZX81with 1Kb RAM

I paid £1250 in 1990 for an 8086 PC with 20Mb hard drive

According to http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/m.....-1900.html these translate to £236 and £2450

So the ZX81 was about 10x the price of a raspi... and the PC 100x the price!!!
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

exartemarte

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 am

In 1980 my Nascom 2 kit cost £295, which was a lot - and that was kit as in bare pcb and bag of ICs, transistors, etc, to be soldered in. And for that price you didn't get a case, a monitor or even a power supply. Sound familiar?

It was a great machine, though, and it started me on a path that led, in the fullness of time, to a master's degree in computer science and a job teaching computing and microelectronics. Needless to say, I've never been without a computer since.

Discovering computers and computing was fun, and I suspect that some of the spirit of those days of Nascoms, UK101s and the like is what lies behind Raspberry Pi. Hopefully a new generation of youngsters will have the chance to discover that there's more to computers and computing than Microsoft Office, Facebook and games written by other people.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:24 am

Here's your one dollar computer.

There's only 512 bytes of program memory and 32 bytes of RAM. It's also rather limited with regards to screen and keyboard.

But it costs a dollar.

haitek

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 am

32 bytes of RAM, that should be enough for anyone

Return to “Off topic discussion”