Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:25 pm

- Scamp AV Player -

AVAILABLE NOW FREE AT THE PI STORE

Image Image

Author: Matt Kimball
Release Date: April 1st, 2014
Dependencies: Python (2.7), omxplayer, ffmpeg, figlet, wmctrl

Also uses python module pexpect
(packaged with a precompiled known-good version to avoid the need to install pip and python 2.6 on top of 2.7)

Scamp, or Simple Console Amp, is a text-based UI for omxplayer, allowing mouse input by using creative asciiart for buttons and sliders. This approach works through SSH as well, so you can remote control your PI's media playback the same as you would in front of it.

Why text mode? Aside from general awesomeness, it's also very fast and easy on the processor, it has a certain nostalgic charm, and it works through console output so it's available from X or just from the default prompt. Scamp typically loads in less than a second and has an CPU overhead of just 0.3%

Features include:
  • Playlist -
    Tested up to 11k entries, no problem.
  • Shuffle -
    Shuffles-in-place so you can see whats up next
  • Fullscreen toggle -
    Works during playback by switching to a smaller window that draws over X desktop, or showing the ui behind the current video outside of X. You specify this output window in ~/.scamp/scamp.config (first line)
  • Progress Bar with Clickable Seek-
    A must for picking up where you left off
  • Volume Bar with overdrive protection
    ( + ) button will raise audio up to maximum non-adjusted level, (++) will overdrive it beyond that level
  • Language Selection for videos with multiple audio streams
    Parlez-vous francais?
    um, no not really...*click*
  • Directory Crawling
    Just type 'play' or 'scamp' from any folder with media and it will add it all into a playlist. Searches sub directories too
To Install:
Open Pi Store.
Search for 'Scamp' or find it in the apps section and click "Download". It will be installed, watch the status window for prompts to install / update dependencies.

To Use:
Right click one or more selected files in X's file manager. Select 'Open with', 'Sound/Video', 'Scamp'. If you select 'always use' option you can double click media to open it. Be careful opening multiple file extensions at once like this, you must use 'open with' in this case so PCManFM doesn't try to open multiple Scamp windows.
Or:
Go to a folder with media in a terminal window. Type 'play' (or 'scamp') and it hit enter. Additionally you may place a filename after play to specify which specific file you want to play.

----------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

Some known issues:
When using Scamp outside X, the display is slightly different since there is no 'underline' available. Its still pretty easy to get around but it looks a little different. Also the windowed mode output window covers up some of the controls in some resolutions, and the mouse doesnt work so you have to use shortcuts. For mouse support, use Scamp from X (for now). Or through Putty/SSH. Putty will transmit mouse events just fine, its on by default.

The playlist is really lacking in functionality right now. There's no editing it, or searching/filtering, and these are glaring omissions being dealt with asap. Soon you will be able to reorder, add/remove, sort and filter the playlist.

One user has experienced an issue with an extremely old raspberry pi setups. That issue went away when they updated to a more recent NOOBS/Raspbian. If you experience an issue where upon exit the display seems frozen and what you type does not show up on screen, please say something on the forum and describe your setup as well as possible. It relates to how stdout is restored to the terminal when Curses shuts down, for some reason older Raspbians have some kind of issue the author was not able to reproduce. If this happens please note your system isn't frozen. typing 'sudo reboot' (enter) will reboot as expected.

Editing a config file feels like a less-than-optimal way to adjust the windowed output location. Working on other options now including a helper window and a two click system of specifying location.

Running multiple Scamps at once is not recommended (for now). If you encounter a runaway Scamp (keeps progressing through media playback even though it appears closed), you may find the following useful:

Code: Select all

killall python
killall omxplayer
killall omxplayer.bin
Last edited by blockh34d on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

blockh34d

Keyboard Shortcuts

Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Space to pause/resume
Up/Down to jump 10 minutes ahead/back
Left/Right to jump 30 seconds ahead/back
+/- volume up/down
F = Fullscreen
M = Mute
P = Previous
N = Next
S = Toggle subtitles
T = Toggle OSD Time Output
Q = Quit

mrspcs

Re: Scamp AV Player

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Is it possible to install this without using the Pistore?
I run my pi only trough ssh.
Pistore won't run without x or something.

blockh34d

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:57 am

I think there is a pi store client you can install that doesn't require X but i have not tried it. Pi store is currently the only way to install, sorry for any hassle. There is a way to run X apps over SSH, maybe that would help.

blockh34d

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:16 am

mrspcs wrote:Is it possible to install this without using the Pistore?

I've added scamp to my box.net account so you can d/l it without pistore

https://app.box.com/s/t1xihde101j5rpanobe7

just unzip to a temp folder and run install.sh

mrspcs

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:02 am

blockh34d wrote:
mrspcs wrote:Is it possible to install this without using the Pistore?

I've added scamp to my box.net account so you can d/l it without pistore

https://app.box.com/s/t1xihde101j5rpanobe7

just unzip to a temp folder and run install.sh
Thank you :)

Pankoi

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:09 pm

blockh34d wrote:I think there is a pi store client you can install that doesn't require X but i have not tried it. Pi store is currently the only way to install, sorry for any hassle. There is a way to run X apps over SSH, maybe that would help.
Hi!

I'm afraid there's no Pi Store client which can run outside of X. You can however run X apps over ssh, a feature known as X11-Forwarding. See here for how. Note that it can be pretty slow. The Pi Store should work (it has for me in the past), but it's been a while since I've had to do it.

Hope that helps,
~Richard Williams
The Pi Store: the home of games, apps, tutorials and other content for Raspberry Pi - store.raspberrypi.com
Want to hear about new Pi Store content? Follow @PiStoreReleases on Twitter.

java

Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Can Scamp play a video in a Putty ssh terminal?

blockh34d

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:24 pm

yes, if i understand the question correctly. You can control Scamp from SSH, and then the video/audio play on the RPi.

Have a nice day,
Matt

java

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:51 am

blockh34d wrote:yes, if i understand the question correctly. You can control Scamp from SSH, and then the video/audio play on the RPi.

Have a nice day,
Matt
No, not what was mean't - sorry.

Can Scamp output video to the terminal window from which it was started on the command line?

Or does it only ouput video to the composite or HDMI ports?

Hopefully a better worded query.

blockh34d

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:12 pm

no sorry scamp does not do that (yet). Even if it could, missing audio makes it seem like a feature that wouldn't get used much. In the past i have made an app that converts pictures/video into ASCII, it was neat i guess. If enough people wanted me to make something comparable for R-Pi, i probably would.

Thanks for suggestion, Have a nice day
Matt

java

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:13 am

Hmmm ... , about what I expected, probably not possible to hardware accelarate such media either.

Thanks

pathos

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:15 am

Is it possible to loop a video or a playlist in Scamp?

blockh34d

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:06 am

pathos wrote:Is it possible to loop a video or a playlist in Scamp?
Yes one of the buttons is marked 'Loop' (or 'L' if the window is small). That will loop the current playlist.

lazyartifact

Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi,

First of all, I want to thank you for the great software - it makes playing media on my Pi much more pleasant. However, I recently deleted my old install of Scamp using the Pi Store uninstaller and upgraded to version 0.3a. I can no longer start scamp from the command line without X running. I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

Unexpected error: <type 'exceptions.ValueError'>   invalid literal for int() with base 10: "Error: Can't open display: (null)\r\nFailed creating new xdo instance\r\n"   <traceback object at 0xb66f1f80>
I have the latest firmware and Raspbian packages installed. I'm a Linux newbie in general, but I tried set the DISPLAY environmental variable to :0.0 in my home folder's .bashrc file as a possible solution. After a reboot, there was no change. I also uninstalled again using the Pi Store uninstaller and this time made sure the .scamp folder in my home directory was gone before reinstalling because for some reason the uninstaller script failed at doing a rm and rmdir for ~/.scamp. This didn't help either.

Scamp still works when I run it through LXTerminal with X started, however, this isn't ideal for me because I would rather control Scamp using the SSH client on my tablet. I've tried Googling for help, but information is pretty hard to find. If you need any more information, I'd be happy to provide it. Thanks again for the great software.

blockh34d

Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:36 am

lazyartifact wrote:Hi,

First of all, I want to thank you for the great software - it makes playing media on my Pi much more pleasant.
No problem, thanks for trying it out.

I tried it from outside of X myself and got same results, something has gone a little wrong with a recent update I guess. As soon as I figure out what the problem is I will post a message here.

thanks for the bug report, I will see what I can sort out here,
Matt

Soleil

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Hey,
when I open the programm the window pops open, but only for a very few seconds before it closes itself again.. :(
Not long enough to read what it's saying but it looks pretty normal to me.
I'm really new with this whole topic so I'd be very greatful if somebody could tell me what's wrong. :?

Thank you!

PuppetHoundZ

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:17 am

Just wanted to say you're app is amazing. It works great. I think it's the best solution to our media player concerns.

Now for some info on what the December 25 Raspbian update did and causes a bug in your app. ( I still love the app btw.) :D

The latest update to raspbian caused a change to your app. Whenever you click on an video file to open it (ie double click) or use "open with" and "use scamp". A weird issue occurs. Instead of opening the file, Scamp instead searches all of the pi/home folder and sub folders for .pls files and media files and loads them instead of the file you click on or "open with".

Everything else works fine. You can "cd" to a file within terminal and type play or scamp and it will run. Also when you open a window in X and use tools and select open window in terminal and then type command play or scamp it will load that folder or file you want no problem. So the only issue we have now is that when you use X and open a file with double click or open with it does this.

You can easily replicate it with a fresh install of raspbian and scamp installed using a USB stick drive or HDD drive.

blockh34d

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:05 am

Thank you for this info I will try to replicate and resolve this issue ASAP, this is the first I've heard of it.

Update coming soon

Have a nice day
Matt

BTW: Did you know you can copy files (and folders) from the file manager and paste them into scamp and they'll be added to the playlist? Maybe that will make life a little easier while I sort out that double click problem.

PuppetHoundZ

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:50 am

blockh34d wrote:BTW: Did you know you can copy files (and folders) from the file manager and paste them into scamp and they'll be added to the playlist? Maybe that will make life a little easier while I sort out that double click problem.
No I didn't.

So to reiterate what you said to make sure I understand.

I can "right click", "copy" a file/folder then "right click", "paste" into the terminal that is running scamp and it will play!?

If that's true, it's a cool trick. Mostly I've been opening a file and clicking on tools "Open folder in terminal" and typing "play" and pressing enter. It suit's what I do very well.

Are you in any position to devise a way for Scamp to scan a folder and sub-folders and to keep the folder hierarchy. So for example, I have a folder (named music) with a ton of organized music categorized in artist(folder)-> Album(folder)-> MusicTracks.

Hope that makes sense. If you can't do this no worries. I just though it could help those who have tons of albums and want to use Scamp to just play album after album of music.

PS. Did I say you're app is awesome!? 8-) Before I bought my Pi. I researched all kinds of apps or apt-get programs to use as a audio/video player. Time and again your app was the only one that seemed the most easy to use, install and use. It's the reason why I joined the Pi Store in the first place. I was really interested in apt-get stuff since reading up on it seemed a lot easier to learn. But You're app also was the reason why I stuck to Raspbian and didn't even bother with XBMC or Raspbmc. Epiphany too but you're app ustilizes OMX player really nice.

Update: tried what you said I may not be following the copy and paste directions properly. Also any status on the fix?

Update1/30/15: Any news on a patch or update for the fix have you been able to replicate my issue?

PuppetHoundZ

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:39 pm

Any update on a Fix regarding my issue? You app is still amazing!

Also have you ever thought of working with gkreidl of the Minimal Kiosk Browser app and merging your app with his app (or collaborating to help make them work together?)? Kweb is amazing but he uses OMXPlayerGUI (for video and music but very limited with Music) and VLC (for music playing). You app is better because it does both Music and Video and does everything well :D .
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 25#p333125

Tygrys

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Can scamp play wav files?
Looks like omxplayer can.

PuppetHoundZ

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:10 am

Yes. This app uses OMXPlayer for everything. Scamp is basically a GUI.

Until blockh34d replies I can't really say for sure. We will have to wait on blockh34d to more info. :D
Last edited by PuppetHoundZ on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tygrys

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:20 am

Scamp does not recognize wav extension as playable file - if I run it in a directory it plays only *.ogg files, not *.wav.

When I fire Scamp from the menu it only blinks it's window.
If I select "Open with Scamp" on the file nothing is played - only the small terminal window blinks.

From the terminal session it works with no problem.
Do you know the fix ?

PuppetHoundZ

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Tygrys wrote:Do you know the fix ?
You may need to wait on Matt Kimball (blockh34d) for an answer on this situation. But overall this app should do mostly everything you need. Just use MP3 format for now it works amazingly well.

Return to “Media centres”