tech_monkey

Re: Cheapish HDMI portable display

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Came across this display, and thought R-Pi. It also has a battery so would possibly be ideal for portable PI applications.Though a cheaper option would be this one .
http://www.casatech.eu

Kernel

Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Both looks nice and people have mentioned these types of display before aswell.

Only issue is that displays cost many times the cost of the pi!

tech_monkey

Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Everything is more expensive than the PI. Even when you add up the cost of a keyboard and a mouse even cheap ones will be close to the cost of a PI.

Phil Spiegel

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:09 pm

What additional charges are involved - import duty/vat etc? ..to the UK?

o/w is close/might be less on Amazon??

RMW5

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:24 pm

That's nice, but not a touchscreen so you still need a cumbersome input device.  An alternative for mobile applications would be a small tablet or a [insert favourite brand here] smartphone running a remote desktop/VNC.  Has anybody worked out what the possible variations might be on this front (Wifi/wired, Ethernet/USB, Android, iPhone etc)?

Kernel

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:42 pm

tech_monkey said:

Everything is more expensive than the PI. Even when you add up the cost of a keyboard and a mouse even cheap ones will be close to the cost of a PI.

KB and Mouse can be had for £10 - less than the cost of even Model A - however displays often cost multiple times the cost of the Pi

Even SD cards are less than the pi - so "everything" is incorrect (unless you add up to get the total amount spend on accessories) - that will be more than the Pi (and I have already spent a few times the cost of a pi on them!)

tech_monkey

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:26 pm

RMW5 said:

That's nice, but not a touchscreen so you still need a cumbersome input device.  An alternative for mobile applications would be a small tablet or a [insert favourite brand here] smartphone running a remote desktop/VNC.  Has anybody worked out what the possible variations might be on this front (Wifi/wired, Ethernet/USB, Android, iPhone etc)?

But this one has a touchscreen. As for customs it depends, but in general if its over 135 pounds then you pay customs and VAT. Below 135 and more than 15 its just the VAT on its declared value.

RMW5

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:01 pm

I like this feature:

Buy More... Get Lower Prices

That's £92 + £19 Shipping (UPS) + 20% VAT = £133.  Not bad, but still a little pricey.  Worth watching to see which way the price goes...

grumpyoldgit

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Kernel said:

tech_monkey said:

KB and Mouse can be had for £10 - less than the cost of even Model A - however displays often cost multiple times the cost of the Pi

Even SD cards are less than the pi - so "everything" is incorrect (unless you add up to get the total amount spend on accessories) - that will be more than the Pi (and I have already spent a few times the cost of a pi on them!)

Part of the attraction of the Pi is that many of the parts are likely to be lying around spare in the home. Most people will have an old computer or two in the roof, keyboards, mice and probably one or two old TVs. The only part I have absolutely had to buy is an HDMI/DVI cable. Everything else was lying around. I have bought some SDHC cards but I could have used one from my camera. I bought a card reader and USB hub from Poundland but I could have just about got by with what I already have. So really, my essential preparatory expenditure so far has been £1.99.

Kernel

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

Part of the attraction of the Pi is that many of the parts are likely to be lying around spare in the home. Most people will have an old computer or two in the roof, keyboards, mice and probably one or two old TVs. The only part I have absolutely had to buy is an HDMI/DVI cable. Everything else was lying around. I have bought some SDHC cards but I could have used one from my camera. I bought a card reader and USB hub from Poundland but I could have just about got by with what I already have. So really, my essential preparatory expenditure so far has been £1.99.
This is indeed true - but in my case my old monitor is vga, my old keyboard is ps/2 (seems I could have used a ps/2 to usb adaptor based on what andytuk said but I didn't think this would have worked). I don't have a camera so the only SD cards I had were the ones in my phone - same thing for usb power cable. The only thing I had and decided not to buy was actually a mouse (and ethernet cables - though I was actually thinking to use a wi-fi dongle with the pi).

Also after that first computer I have only ever bought laptops so haven't had much need for peripherals apart from a mouse.

RMW5

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:51 pm

So really, my essential preparatory expenditure so far has been £1.99.

The way I see it, my $25 computer is going to cost me the best part of £150, and even that is leaving out the cost of a mouse and fixing the R-Pi to the back of the monitor with rubber bands...

USB 2.0 A to B cable
£5.12

PCT Four way manual USB switch box 1 x type A to 4 x B
£7.73

IBM Lenovo Enhanced Performance USB Keyboard & USB Hub
£19.99

0.5M HDMI Male to M 19 Pin Gold Plated Cable Lead V1.4
£2.42

Samsung B2230H HDMI/DVI-D/VGA monitor
£79.99

4 x Vesa mounting screws
£3.78

8GB Flash memory card
£4.65

2 x red rubber bands
£0.00

Total excl R-PI
£123.68

Raspberry PI (Type B) + shipping
£24.55

+VAT
£4.91

Grand Total
£148.23

bob_binz

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:04 pm

@RMW5

Where you picking that Sammy monitor up at that price?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:37 pm

More to the point, where on the planet do 4 vesa bolts cost £3.78? And that USB cable is mightily expensive.

These are too long (you can use a hacksaw?), but much MUCH cheaper for a pack of 25!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pan-.....f-25/97740
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

RMW5

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:53 pm

The 4 vesa bolts are supposed to be for a min-ITX enclosure and they have notches in the hexagonal heads which are just perfect for containing the 2 rubber bands that will hold the board in place. Sometimes, you have to pay a little bit extra to get the right engineering solution!

And yes, I think the USB cable was from a pack of 4.

Kernel

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:02 pm

I haven't been keeping records (more so I don't think oh gosh I've spent all this money!) but including the Pi I guess I will spend at least £100 on things

RMW5

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:12 pm

@bob_binz: Dixons / PC World Jan Sale, end of line, ex-display model. Seems to still be a current model at Samsung, so I was pleasantly surprised and have a hankering suspicion that it might have been a mistake by Dixons, but I'm not complaining.

RMW5

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:22 pm

JamesH said:

More to the point, where on the planet do 4 vesa bolts cost £3.78?

These are too long (you can use a hacksaw?), but much MUCH cheaper for a pack of 25!

Ah yes, 99p for a pack of 25, provided you buy in bulk, but for a single pack that's £1.52, but here is the killer:  Delivery is £5, so unless you live in a town with Screwfix (I don't), your 25 vesa bolts are going to cost £6.52 delivered, just like my 4 mini-ITX bolts cost £3.78 delivered (£2.10 before VAT + delivery).

So for an extra £2.74 I could have got 21 overlength M3 bolts that i don't really have a need for - unless I buy another 5.25 R-Pi's

kkman20xx

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:23 pm

RMW5, it says computer not a computer system. You can use your TV as monitor, USB keyboard + mouse u can get for £10, 8GB, SD card £5, Powered USB hub £5, a small computing board that you can play with priceless! For everything else there is loansharks …

(prices according to UK stock ebay listing)

How much you wanted to spend is up to you. I personally has a lot of bit and pieces sitting around, so it is cheap for me.

RMW5

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:41 pm

You can use your TV as monitor

Maybe I would if I had a TV, but there isn't one in this house, with or without HDMI, and all of the monitors are VGA. Not complaining, but just pointing out that the "total cost of ownership" is far higher than the headline figure.

grumpyoldgit

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Whenever I go up the local recycling centre I am shocked at the TVs and computers that have just been dumped in the skip. You just know that people just fancied something bigger and better and couldn't be bothered to get rid of the old model in any other way.

kkman20xx

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:13 pm

to RMW5: If someone has no access to electricity then he will have to buy a generator, and the list goes on.  Why buy everything new? like Grumpyoldgit said, you can get most of the parts that people throughs away or 2nd hand.  That is the fun part of the Pi, DIY on the cheap.

tawalker

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:25 pm

The TV/monitor issue in our house is a bit awkward. Our main set has HDMI (the only display we own that does), but I'm not sure how much RPi-time I'd get as I'd have to negotiate it with the other telly-watchers

Alternatives? Well, there's our old CRT in the other room - a possibility, though I bet setting up PAL composite output from the Pi would be a bundle of no-fun (certainly for X11, though it might be OK for console-based stuff). Finally, there's an old 17" flat-panel monitor, which is (drum-roll) VGA-only... think you can see where I'm going with this...

For the moment, the short-term solution would seem to be to plug into the main TV, and try and leap on the "downtime" moments!

Longer-term: in the UK at least, if you're not a "brand snob" (and I'm not, if the product works well), supermarkets sometimes sell small (16-18") flat-panel TVs with HDMI for about £70-80-ish. I guess one of these might make a passable monitor (albeit usually limited to 1280x720 (720p)) so I'd keep an eye out for a good offer on one.
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

tawalker

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

Whenever I go up the local recycling centre I am shocked at the TVs and computers that have just been dumped in the skip. You just know that people just fancied something bigger and better and couldn't be bothered to get rid of the old model in any other way.

If I heard anyone was trying to get rid of a small (16"-18"), HDMI-equipped flat-panel TV, I'd gladly take it off their hands for them... but then these aren't usually the kind of tellies ending up at the recycling centre
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

jamesh

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:39 pm

RMW5 said:

JamesH said:

More to the point, where on the planet do 4 vesa bolts cost £3.78?

Ah yes, 99p for a pack of 25, provided you buy in bulk, but for a single pack that's £1.52, but here is the killer:  Delivery is £5, so unless you live in a town with Screwfix (I don't), your 25 vesa bolts are going to cost £6.52 delivered, just like my 4 mini-ITX bolts cost £3.78 delivered (£2.10 before VAT + delivery).

So for an extra £2.74 I could have got 21 overlength M3 bolts that i don't really have a need for - unless I buy another 5.25 R-Pi's

It was just an example after 1 minute of searching. Basically M4x10 pitch 0.7mm. You can notch away to you hearts content with the appropriate hacksaw!

Just for balance, I already have those bolts in stock (in my garage!), I also already had  an HDMI/DVI monitor, USB cables, SD cards, keyboard/mouse, USB hub and wireless adapter. I have had to buy nothing except the Raspi.

So, I'm a best case, you are a worst case. And there are many people over the whole gamut.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

arm2

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 pm

RMW5 said:

I like this feature:

Buy More... Get Lower Prices

That's £92 + £19 Shipping (UPS) + 20% VAT = £133.  Not bad, but still a little pricey.  Worth watching to see which way the price goes...

Plus the £13 charge Royal mail make to collect the VAT!

Return to “General discussion”