ech0

IRC Daemon

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Hello everyone, I would like to setup an IRC daemon client on my Raspberry Pi which should be connected 24/7 to various freenode, quakenet rooms and so forth and then I would like to access it remotely on my other machines which are not powered on 24/7.
Something similar to what I'm doing with transmission, it's up and running 24/7 on my Pi and then I can just turn on my laptop and use the remote GUI to check up on things. Is there something like that existing and that you could recommend?

Im thankful for any advice or recommendations.
Kind regards.

ech0

Re: IRC Daemon

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:45 pm

I solved it by installing irssi and screen.

jojopi

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 pm

I use irssi in screen too, but for reference what you described in the first post is called a bouncer or BNC. It is basically an IRC proxy, which stays connected to the real server and allows any normal client to connect and disconnect from it.

"znc" is one popular bouncer that appears to be in the Raspbian repositories, though I have not tried it. (And the version in wheezy looks a bit old, so you may be better to compile from source.)

ech0

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Alright, I see. I was planning on connecting to it in a GUI environment but for now the SSH option will suffice. I'll however look in to znc, I've only heard about bouncer briefly. Thanks

Return to “Networking and servers”