gkreidl

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:52 pm

It's not a problem of the browser, it seems to be a problem with omxplayer on low res tv screens. I cannot test that myself.

omxplayer should always resize the video to match your screen resolution; at least I know it scales them up; it should also scale them down. Perhaps you should play with its options. I suggest downloading and installing the latest version from http://omxplayer.sconde.net.

Here you will find a description of all command line options (at the bottom of the page):
https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/
I'd suggest trying the "-z" option.

If you have found matching command line options, you can set them in kwebhelper_settings.py, so that they will always be used.

If you don't find a solution, create an issue here:
https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/issues
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

dynamitemedia

Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:39 am

i just clicked on a random video on youtube this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EN_rt0oHlw

when i did i could see the code in the upper left hand side of the screen. can i set this to:

Code: Select all

xterm -fullscreen -fg black -bg black -e omxplayer -o hdmi 
so that will not happen? and where would i put that in your settings if i could? just started playing with this tonight and like it... TOUGH time getting the update to 1.2.5 in there . i had to do all kinds of stuff to overwrite the old stuff etc.

i was wondering if you would be able to set this up with livestreamer too? http://livestreamer.tanuki.se/en/latest/ that would make this the best browser yet!

gkreidl

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:48 am

dynamitemedia wrote:i just clicked on a random video on youtube this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EN_rt0oHlw

when i did i could see the code in the upper left hand side of the screen. can i set this to:

xterm -fullscreen -fg black -bg black -e omxplayer -o hdmi 
so that will not happen? and where would i put that in your settings if i could? just started playing with this tonight and like it... TOUGH time getting the update to 1.2.5 in there . i had to do all kinds of stuff to overwrite the old stuff etc.

i was wondering if you would be able to set this up with livestreamer too? http://livestreamer.tanuki.se/en/latest/ that would make this the best browser yet!
I'm not sure, if understand your question. Do you want to add "-o hdmi" as omxplayer option?

There is a setting in kwebhelper_settings.py called "omxoptions". This is exactly what you need. In fact, there are some examples, that can be uncommented including exactly that option.

Run
sudo idle /usr/local/bin/kwebhelper_settings.py
to edit it.

The "xterm ..." command should never appear on the screen. Please make sure that xterm is installed. It should be installed by default but some people reported that it was missing on their system.
sudo apt-get install xterm
should tell you if it is there or install it. omxplayer must be started from a terminal this way to get keyboard support.

I'll have a look at livestreamer. At the moment I prefer things that the user can install with apt-get (like youtube-dl, which I use for extracting the stream url). And I wanted to get rid of the piping method as it did not work with all streams and also put a lot of stress on the SD card. And youtube-dl has a built-in update function (sudo youtube-dl -U) and is updated very often to reflect modifications in the video websites.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

gkreidl

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:07 pm

Preview of version 1.3

It's almost ready for release, needs just a bit more testing and I'll have to create the change log and add the changes to the manual. The most important new features are:

A new "Open file" command (icon in the toolbar). It will display HTML and text files and jpeg, png and gif images directly in the browser; all audio and video files and m3u playlist will be played with omyplayer and PDF files will be opened with xpdf or mupdf. If a special command line flag is set, it will also run executables (scripts or binaries).

There is support for two different download methods now, which can be selected at run time from a new toggle button in the toolbar: either use the download method built into webkit or the use wget. Both methods have their own advantages. The built-in method also works with downloads that require session cookies.

The command line options string now uses capital letters for global program flags and lower case letters for optional keyboard commands. This results in more intuitive commands and better mnemonics. (And that also means that startup and kiosk scripts have to be modified accordingly and a few keyboard commands have changed, e. g. (ALT+) "p" to play web video content instead of (ALT +) "y".)

The web video support now works without using pipes, as introduced in version 1.2.5 of the kwebhelper script; the old method has been removed completely. It now works with every website supported by youtube-dl (as far as I could test it) and also with HTML5 video tags.

kwebhelper now supports not only command links but also command form elements, if they are built in a certain way. This gives developers of embedded applications more freedom in creating an interface and extended options (like quoted arguments, file names containing spaces etc.).

The settings of kwebhelper have been reorganized (divided into sections) and a few more settings have been added (while others have been removed):
special support for live tv options for omxplayer
options for youtube-dl (e. g. to set preferred file formats)
an option to run wget downloads inside a terminal window (to watch download progress and success)
... and more

And last but not least, a few small bugs have been fixed. All toggle button states now follow keyboard commands (if enabled) and are consistent between different browser windows.

(a few) beta testers are welcome (PM or email me) as soon as I have finished the change log.

dynamitemedia

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:56 pm

The "xterm ..." command should never appear on the screen.
because of the aspect ratio/size of the video i can see in the corner partially these commands

Video codec omx-h264 width 4
audio codec aac channels 2 s
subtitle count: 0 state of

I'll have a look at livestreamer. At the moment I prefer things that the user can install with apt-get (like youtube-dl, which I use for extracting the stream url).
it is that simple here is how you install
http://privatefloat.bplaced.de/blog/wat ... mmandline/

fr0zen

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:57 am

Does anyone know if there is a debug console available in Minimal Kiosk Browser that I can use? Similar to the 'Developer Tools' in Chrome.

I can't seem to find any mention of it in the manual or forums.

PS - Thanks for developing this excellent browser for the Pi :D

gkreidl

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:31 pm

fr0zen wrote:Does anyone know if there is a debug console available in Minimal Kiosk Browser that I can use? Similar to the 'Developer Tools' in Chrome.
No, there isn't and not planned.

gkreidl

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:37 pm

New version 1.3 available for download!

I have modified the original posting accordingly.

There are lots more changes than announced a few weeks ago and the manual has also been updated.

For a complete changelog see here.

deaddave123

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:08 pm

I have installed the recommended updates and followed the installation process. The most I get is a window that flashes up for a second when i hit play. Where do I begin troubleshooting from here?

dynamitemedia

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:39 pm

you should prob update your youtube-dl

NzambiKai

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:44 am

Hi, Great job on the browser. Videos run really smooth locally.

I just have a question. Is there anyway to change the exit video player from esc to button click?

gkreidl

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:13 am

NzambiKai wrote:Hi, Great job on the browser. Videos run really smooth locally.

I just have a question. Is there anyway to change the exit video player from esc to button click?
No, omxplayer is not aware of any mouse events.

jviyer

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:27 pm

I have tried the 1.3 and it was working fine on one sd card.
but after a few days on a second sd card , I get the message (when I visit a site with html5 video tag), that
the browser does not support the video tag. The same site works fine with sd card one !
I had pulled zip file and installed it on the second card. what could be the issue ? (I alo tried sudo apt-get update and upgrade)
on the second card. I dont think I did anything different on the first card.
any suggestions ?
Thanks!

gkreidl

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:03 am

compare libwebkit and libwebkitgtk versions

NzambiKai

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 pm

gkreidl wrote:
NzambiKai wrote:Hi, Great job on the browser. Videos run really smooth locally.

No, omxplayer is not aware of any mouse events.
Damn, Is there anyway to get a close button?

gkreidl

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:00 am

NzambiKai wrote:..
What for?

NzambiKai

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:25 pm

gkreidl wrote:
NzambiKai wrote:..
What for?
I need it for a touch screen display. Everything works perfectly but customers using the touch screen can not exit a video without watching the full clip.

gkreidl

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:35 pm

Connect a button to a GPIO; someone wrote a daemon for it, that can issue keyboard events,

karlkiste

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:35 pm

NzambiKai wrote: Damn, Is there anyway to get a close button?
You could use a background task, which is started from the omxplayer wrapper script.
There should be a way to detect a touch on the screen, if nothing else works you can read the raw input data from the touch device. Or, check the mouse cursor position. If the position changes, the touchscreen must have been touched. Then just kill the omxplayer task, or send a "q" using xdotool or the like.

nolman

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:52 pm

is kweb able to show my html-page which streams a mjpeg ?
It shows the page fine, but not the mjpeg-stream.

gkreidl

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 pm

nolman wrote:is kweb able to show my html-page which streams a mjpeg ?
Current webkit libraries are compiled against gstreamer-0.1 (no hw acceleration). If your stream is not too complex, it might work. You can test it, if you start kweb like that:

kweb -YF http://yourwebpage

You must have gstreamer-0.1 installed including all plugin packages!

Is your video embedded as HTML5? (It won't work with a flash player). You can then also click the play button and watch the video full screen with omxplayer.

In the future (Debian Jessie) we might get webkit libraries which can use gstreamer-1.0 with OpenMax HW accleration.

sportsnapper

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I've been using kweb 1.1 as a minimal kiosk browser, which runs on a private isolated network (for browsing photographs taken at events). It works very well - thank you.

I've been reading through the release notes trying to decide if I should upgrade to 1.3 - but i'm a bit nervous as I have a big event coming up next weekend.

Is 1.3 faster than 1.1 in rendering pages (simple ones - no Javascript??)
Is there any speed advantage to using the no window manager option? Though not sure I can due to the screen resolution.

Thanks....

gkreidl

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:12 pm

kweb 1.3 is more comfortable to use, has more configuration options and better support for web video - but it is not faster.

sportsnapper

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:17 pm

OK, thanks. Just built two more pi kiosks, which have 1.3 on them. The others can stay at 1.1 - it's not broken , therefore nothing needs to be done today :)

nolman

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:40 pm

gkreidl wrote:
nolman wrote:is kweb able to show my html-page which streams a mjpeg ?
Current webkit libraries are compiled against gstreamer-0.1 (no hw acceleration). If your stream is not too complex, it might work. You can test it, if you start kweb like that:

kweb -YF http://yourwebpage

You must have gstreamer-0.1 installed including all plugin packages!

Is your video embedded as HTML5? (It won't work with a flash player). You can then also click the play button and watch the video full screen with omxplayer.

In the future (Debian Jessie) we might get webkit libraries which can use gstreamer-1.0 with OpenMax HW accleration.

ha! just had to enable javascript and it is working.
now some testing.

Return to “Raspbian”