hmcilroy

keyboard

Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:37 am

Can someone please tell me the secret to using a keyboard with raspberry pi. This is what I have tried so far:

- 3 different pi's, 2 purchased directly from Element 14 and one through Adafruit.
- 3 different 4gb cards preprogramed with Raspian from adafruit.
- a wireless keyboard/mouse portable purchased from adafruit.
- a new Logitech wireless keyboard
- a new wired Logitech keyboard
- I have tried every combination of the above with and without a powered usb hub from adafruit.

I cannot get past the Configuration Tool because the keyboards don't work.

Please help.

AndyD

Re: keyboard

Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:14 am

That is pretty frustrating. Unfortunately, keyboards should just work. The most common suggestion is to try a very cheap generic keyboard. The next suggestion would be to check that the Raspberry Pi is attached to a good quality power supply. This is the relevant section of the trouble shooting guide.

MaxK1

Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:30 am

Rather than trying different keyboards, have you checked power? 5V +/- .25V.
If its a model B, also check X1 (on the back of the board) - Give it a good "thwack" with your finger or a pencil.
Since X1 drives the USB AND Ethernet a good way to check is to connect a cable to a desktop/laptop/hub/router.
If you have no lights except power, X1 could be the problem but the power is where I would start.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

hmcilroy

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for replying.
The power supply is 5.25V and 1A . The hub is the only thing plugged into the usb ports of the pi. It delivers 5V and 2A. The keyboard is the only thing plugged into it. The red light stays on and the green light flickers when it is booting up.
I also plug everything into the pi and then plug the pi in hoping that it will recognize everything.
I'm using it with a small (19 inch) TV that has its own power supply.
I tapped X1 several times both before and after plugging in the pi.
Is this possible? :?: :?: Am I jinxed? :o :o :o
Desperate in frozen Canada

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:14 pm

If you plug it into the network do the lights come on?
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

MaxK1

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:50 pm

Have you MEASURED the voltage at TP1/TP2? What is printed on the supply is sometimes, uh, somewhat optimistic... :-)
If the power cable is too thin, or there is a problem at the micro USB connector, it may not be DELIVERING 5.25V at the Pi.
(Note that the pi will power up, even if the voltage is a bit low. And you will have problems like you describe)

Do the lights come on for the network if you connect it to a desktop/hub/router? If not, X1 is may be to blame. Sometimes
referred to as a "sleeping crystal", it may need more than a gentle tap to wake it up. Resoldering X1 or a more solid TAP can sometimes make them spring to life.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

hmcilroy

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:06 am

I tried a thicker usb cord and that worked! :D Thanks for your help.
Helen

Return to “Beginners”