joan

Re: I am not a thief and I am in the minority!

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:14 am

johndough wrote:Hi

Yeah! Download a copy of my neighboUr's car, and then use a 3D printer to bootleg one :lol:

OOH! an American spellchecker neighboUr neighbor, I had to download a 'U'
to spell correctly, is that a crime? Even worse I then copied it.
I started reading this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... sh_English to see if us Brits used to omit the letter U from neighbour. I got side-tracked so still don't know.

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Missing letters are an artifact introduced by Messrs Merriam & Webster. They compiled the American Heritage Dictionary on a typewriter with a broken U key. :lol: :lol:

The English spellings are closer to their French origins.

I have a language pack installed in Firefox that let's it do English rather than American spellings.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

joan

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:34 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Missing letters are an artifact introduced by Messrs Merriam & Webster. They compiled the American Heritage Dictionary on a typewriter with a broken U key. :lol: :lol:

I have a language pack installed in Firefox that let's it do English rather than American spellings.
Our shared history is comical!

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:31 pm

joan wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Missing letters are an artifact introduced by Messrs Merriam & Webster. They compiled the American Heritage Dictionary on a typewriter with a broken U key. :lol: :lol:
Our shared history is comical!
Ironically I inherited from my great-grandfather (and first namesake) a rebound** two-volume set of "Websters English Dictionary".
Trev.
**with his name, Frank Gowen, on the spine.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Lob0426

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Copyright laws are about money. If you download a song the person with that copyright should be paid. But many songs are no longer owned by their original "producers". The industry is designed to take a musicians rights away.

The main people that are being prosecuted are those that sell the "pirated" content. This is a "deep pockets" form of justice. They do not want to waste their money on suing everybody that illegally downloads. They only want to sue those that have enough money to make it worth suing.

And to this end they are trying to enact laws in different countries that will make the lawsuits go away and have your government enforce it as law. The costs will be transferred to the taxpayers, but the fines will be transferred to groups like Sony and iTunes. They save and make money. They also would be able to "afford" going after the small fish. Because the cost would be on the taxpayer, not them.

Not the original band or musician!

I have used illegal software, but if I liked it then I buy it.

My first taste of Windows was a "borrowed" copy. I liked it so I went out and bought my own copy. So in the end did Microsoft lose anything? I do not think so. I have had Win 3.1,Win 3.11, 95A (original upgrade version of 95), 95B, missed 95SR2, Millenium Edition upgrade and a full version also, XP several versions, the same for Vista, Windows Home Server, and now have several versions of Win7 and one of Win8. Many of these were bought outright, but most I have now came installed on the system.

It is the same for music. If I like a song I will buy it, even if I could have had it for free!

Never have downloaded a movie that I have not had the "digital rights".

Most trial versions today are so feature neutered that I do not end up buying them. Maybe they need to rethink that a bit. If it will not do what I need them I see no reason to buy it!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

BlindSquirrel

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:17 am

Personally, I download about 30 free songs a day.. lol. I believe that at least 75% of the US does it, for 99 cents, as cheap as it is, is a bit too much for a 2 minute song. Until record companies decide to do something about it, I will continue. I do however refuse to download movies and games, that is a different story.
If you want a huge list of why I love Steve Jobs, but I strongly dislike Apple, say 'Apple is better than Microsoft'. I DARE you.

Leestons

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:32 pm

toxibunny wrote:Piracy isn't theft...

Lob0426

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:01 pm

Leestons wrote:
toxibunny wrote:Piracy isn't theft...
Then My wife is guilty of Piracy when she takes my Corvette? :lol:

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:33 am

It's quite plain and simple that piracy is not theft. Just because I happen to live in a country where copyright law pre-dates the Internet and possessing infringing material happens to be illegal, doesn't mean that it's theft (by definition, it isn't) or that it's morally wrong (it's not up to American trade organisations to define morality). It simply means that it is illegal within the boundaries which define this country. Hell, they make more effort to enforce jaywalking laws than they do for downloading infringing material here, so that kind of indicates how seriously the law is taken.

It should also be noted that in more progressive countries, where certain American companies don't meddle, and the laws are updated to reflect the times, things are completely different. Over there, downloading copyrighted material is not piracy or otherwise illegal. It's distribution on commercial scale that they actually worry about.

Personally, I go and pay to see the movies I want to see and end up paying for games I like (although I have a steam library full of games I've only spent a few minutes on as well). However, the Indies don't seem to mind piracy and actually use it as a marketing tool. If EA and Warner Brothers are complaining that it's hurting their profits, then I think it's doing the world a favour.

mikerr

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:08 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:they make more effort to enforce jaywalking laws than they do for downloading infringing material here, so that kind of indicates how seriously the law is taken.
They don't make much effort to enforce other laws either, but that doesn't mean you should break them :D

Theft is the wrong word IMO, but here's a counter image:
http://www.devtopics.com/no-silly-piracy-is-theft/

It becomes a bigger issue when companies are actively profiting from this
e.g. premium usenet providers

ShiftPlusOne

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:00 pm

mikerr wrote: They don't make much effort to enforce other laws either, but that doesn't mean you should break them :D
Agreed, I just don't think that illegal and immoral necessarily equate. They usually do, but one does not imply the other.

I think the problem with the counter-argument in the article you link is that it assumes that if you download something, 1) you haven't paid for it earlier 2) you won't pay for it and 3) you would've paid for it.

People download copies of things they already own, people download to try before buying, and I think usually people download things simply because the price tag is high enough that they would not purchase it legally even if the 'free' alternative wasn't there.
mikerr wrote: It becomes a bigger issue when companies are actively profiting from this
e.g. premium usenet providers
Again, I am in full agreement. I wouldn't for a second defend folks who profit from other people's work.

Burngate

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Years ago, at Leeds University, one of the societies was organising a trip to an exhibition.. They hired a 77-seater bus, and charged everyone £10. 60-odd takers, so £600+ covered the costs.
Along came this guy, wanted to go to the same place, though not for the exhibition.
"Can I go with you for free? after all, the bus is going anyway, so it won't cost you anything"
"NO"
"I'm willing to sit on the floor, so I won't even take up a seat"
"NO"

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:26 pm

I've been following a legal (as in comments on the law) blog lately...

If a company that claims to own the copyrights of a work uploads that work to a widely known "pirate" site and then sends letters to people they think downloaded the work, threatening to sue if they don't pay the demanded amount. is it "piracy", "theft", or something else?

Dutch_Master

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:32 pm

It's only "piracy/theft/whatever" if the owner has no intention of sharing the work freely. If the owner decides to upload it to a place they could have reasonably been aware that their work is going to be shared, they have no legal grounds to sue: they shouldn't have uploaded it there in the first place. Mind: IANAL!!

joan

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:54 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:I've been following a legal (as in comments on the law) blog lately...

If a company that claims to own the copyrights of a work uploads that work to a widely known "pirate" site and then sends letters to people they think downloaded the work, threatening to sue if they don't pay the demanded amount. is it "piracy", "theft", or something else?
God alone knows. Entrapment perhaps?

tpr888

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Why is this in the Raspberry pi forums?

poing

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:34 pm

tpr888 wrote:Why is this in the Raspberry pi forums?
Internet-wide campaign?

Richard-TX

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:27 am

Someone wanted to brag a little?
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Nr90

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:46 am

Richard-TX wrote:
Someone wanted to brag a little?
This

On topic: I agree with ShiftPlusOne's reasoning.

ShiftPlusOne

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:48 am

Since the thread is fairly civil and in the 'off topic' section, I think it's okay (for now). If it doesn't run its course and people start repeating the same points or getting aggressive, it will get locked.

morphy_richards

Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:00 am

One point I would like to make, although perhaps it applies more to patents is that copying is a natural human trait. It's (inferrably) been done since modern humans first stood upright. Never mind human, even birds copy each others behaviour.
I suppose fire, counting, cooking, everything, has all been accomplished by copying. Protection gets us nowhere as a species. Pythagoras tried to stop anyone other than his special group learning the rules of geometry, thank goodness he failed ! (And don't get me started on GCHQ and NSA "secrets")
Last edited by morphy_richards on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

johndough

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Since the thread is fairly civil and in the 'off topic' section, I think it's okay (for now). If it doesn't run its course and people start repeating the same points or getting aggressive, it will get locked.

Hiya

Surely if I repeat someone else's point that would be

A act of piracy
B boring
C copyright infringement

:mrgreen:

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:49 pm

johndough wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:

Hiya

Surely if I repeat someone else's point that would be

A act of piracy
B boring
C copyright infringement

:mrgreen:
We wouldn't mind as long as you didn't profit from it. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

ladybug

Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:35 pm

There is no back-door spoon in the Raspberry Pi :lol:

http://redmine.replicant.us/projects/re ... xyBackdoor

Sorry, but who makes your ARM chips again?

Lob0426

Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:54 pm

I think where I see a problem is who owns a song!

Michael Jackson bought the rights to the Beach Boys (I think he has them?). So the original artists are not receiving payment for their work.

So what right did he have to sell their music without the artist profiting?

This is true of most music and TV programs today. Older movies were the same!

So how long do these works go from owner to owner before they are public domain? From what I see they will never go to public! Even long after the Original Artist and all of their family are long dead.

Do you ever see Sony or Apple giving up their "rights" except sell them?

Richard

Return to “Off topic discussion”