britgent

HDMI or composite using Noobs not working

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:01 am

I am having problems trying to get Noobs to work on a HDMI or composite tv connection.

I have followed the pdf, used the format tool turned the option to on and formatted the card.

Downloaded the noobs by utorrent and (now downloading zip file). selected all files copied into the root of the sd card.

Put the card into the Pi nothing shows on TV and tried using 1 2 3 4 on the keyboard but do not get any display. I have also tried using composite to no avail.

Red light is solid on Pi.

So I downloaded advanced option raspian, re formatted the card ran the image tool removed card from the pc and inserted into the PI, works on HDMI without a problem.

Also borrowed a pre compiled card put that into the Pi and that worked straight away.

I am wanting to install several Os's on the same card.

I am using a micro shxc card 64Gb.

I only have a windows 7 computer.

What could I be doing wrong with the Noobs. ( I am a beginner user to the Pi)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: HDMI or composite using Noobs not working

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:32 am

you are having boot problems, the PI won't generate any video before boot.

read the boot problem sticky.

probably you are writing noobs the wrong way, (or not formatting the card right first) or your card is incompatible.

Phill Rymer

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:37 am

check your tv input settings in tv source file pi cannot alter tv input defaults

britgent

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:01 am

PNY 64GB class 10 Micro SDXC

Set Tv hdmi up normal mode auto input.

Ok run SDFormatter as administrator options Full overwrite format size adjustment on (tried quick / write and erase format options)

Downloaded Utorrent and zip file and SHA-1 Verified tried both utorrent and zip download

Extracted files to folder opened up folder copied 9 files and 2 folders to the sd card.

Ejected card in software and removed card from laptop.

Put in Pi supplied power fails no boot red light only.

Download raspbian image quick format drive use win32disk image remove from laptop and Pi boots and works ok on composite and hdmi.

Downloaded Berryboot files and image.

Format drive this time quick overwrite on Copy the files by drag and drop no boot on Pi red light only

Format drive quick use overwrite on win32diskimager Installed as image and works

Format drive full write copy files Pi not boot red light only.

So seems to be a problem with copy and paste or drag and drop the files to the sd card and the Pi will not boot.

Not a lot to go wrong really run sdformatter as admin make sure drive is selected go to options and turn on the format size adjustment.(tried all 3 options of format quick / erase / write)
Open up sd card window open up saved file folder select all files drag and drop make sure all files are in the root of the sd card.

So all the hardware including sd card must be ok if it will work with a number of different images

Any ideas how I can get to run Noobs I am using a win 7 laptop

rpdom

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:09 am

Did you try ejecting the SD card after running SDFormatter, then putting it back in again before copying the files and folders to it?

britgent

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:21 am

no did not eject will try that

britgent

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:33 am

ok tried to format the sd card then eject the device then place back in laptop after waiting about 30 seconds copied files no boot on Pi just red light

baggey

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:37 am

Im a NOOB as well.

I thought the maximum size card recognized by the "RASPI" is 32GB? Id try a smaller card.

Kind regards Baggey

rpdom

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am

baggey wrote:Im a NOOB as well.

I thought the maximum size card recognized by the "RASPI" is 32GB? Id try a smaller card.

Kind regards Baggey
It depends on the card. Some cards of up to 128GB have been reported as working ok with the Pi
http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:28 am

rpdom wrote:
baggey wrote:Im a NOOB as well.
Kind regards Baggey
It depends on the card. Some cards of up to 128GB have been reported as working ok with the Pi
http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards
Personally I've had no problems with 4, 8 or 16Gb cards (I have no use for >16Gb, since, on principle I tend to keep "data" separate from the main O.S. and "program" areas and, thus, would rather use a separate 16Gb or 32Gb USB stick). However, I have noticed that many of the "booting problems" reported seem to be associated with 32Gb+ cards. W.r.t. to the NOOBS installer I suspect that sometimes "impatience" may be part of the issue. I noticed, during testing of NOOBS 1.3.2 with composite video that if (due to slow detection of a wireless keyboard) a video select key is not detected there can be several minutes with just a 4Gb card whilst NOOBS is performing its initial re-partioning etc. when nothing seems to be happening unless one spots occasional green LED ACTivity. If that time is card size dependent there may be a situation where, for a very large card, "boot failure" is a mis-interpretation of what's really happening.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

britgent

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:40 pm

I can only get the 64GB sd card to work with Pi if I use a image and not Noobs.

I just found a 4GB sdhc class 6 card format and copy Noobs works ok.

So must be the way it formats the 64gb card and the way Pi reads the card which in turn does not boot.

Was trying to avoid having multiple cards for my projects. but will have to order some cards.

Thanks for all your help if I find a way to do it with Noobs I will add to the post.

Return to “Beginners”