Kaushik

no boot/config

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi,
I use Rasbian 7. I have done apt-get update&& upgrade. done an rpi-update.

I do not have /boot/config.txt. Could you tell me where this config is stored? I need to change some config settings.
Thanks

DougieLawson

Re: no boot/config

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:23 pm

sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Joe Schmoe

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:25 pm

The default is that there is no such file. If you need it, you have to create it.

To go a little deeper into this, my experience is that if you install from a "raw image", then you won't get a config.txt unless/until you need one and make one. If you install from NOOBS, then you do get a default config.txt file.

So, I'm guessing that you installed from a raw image...

Nothing wrong with that, of course. But it does make things a little confusing for people who expect the file to already be there (this question comes up with some frequency). Maybe the raw images should be changed to create a zero-length file?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Kaushik

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi DL, Joe
Thanks. I got this SDcard done by the shop I purchased the pi from. It has multiple OSes installed including xbmc, raspbian, sugar, puppylinux, olec.

I am a windows developer and new to linux. Doing a df -hT I see that /dev/mmcblk0p1 is mounted to /media/0316-D206, which does have a config.txt as you rightly said.

1. Are you saying that I should copy the config.txt under /dev/mmcblk0p1 to /boot?.

2. Moreover, I already have a /boot directory and it has similar-named files like bootcode.bin, fixup_cd.bat, start.elf, start_cd.elf, etc (but no config.txt). Could you tell me where these files come from and why I should lose them by mounting mmcblk0p1?

Thanks

Return to “Troubleshooting”