klappsthuul

Disk full after fresh installation - nothing is working

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Hello,

I've got a new Raspberry Pi and did a fresh installation of NOOBS v1.3.3 on a 4 GB SD card. It is said that this is big enough. Nothing is working because the disk is 100% full. Even globbing (hitting the tab key to autocomplete a path) does not work, it is interrupted by a message that says that there is no more space on the device left. This is confirmed by the output of df.

This is a beginner's machine. I am expecting that the most basic things should work. But obviously, they don't. I have no idea which file could be deletef. Do I really need to buy a bigger SD card?

Thanks in advance.

DougieLawson

Re: Disk full after fresh installation - nothing is working

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:31 pm

What operating system did you choose from the NOOBS installation menu?
On a 4GB card you can only fit one OS on the card.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Richard-TX

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:09 pm

DougieLawson wrote:What operating system did you choose from the NOOBS installation menu?
Agreed! A 4 gig card is the minimum size for raspian 12-20-2013 .
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

toxibunny

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:17 am

Are old versions available anywhere? I remember raspbian fitting on a 2gb card with room to spare, and everything seemed to work fine...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Richard-TX

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:46 am

Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Freezeline

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:30 am

Don't dispare. I had the same problem using NOOBS-3-3-3. Instead, go to raspberrypi.org, downloads, 2013-12-20 wheezy-raspian for experts. Next I ran the SDFormatter.app and selected the 'overwrite formate'. Make sure that you have selected your SD card. I then used piFiller App to flash 2023-12-20 onto my SD disk. I think that I got the piFiller App from one of the suggestions in the forum.

Hope this helps.

klappsthuul

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Hello,
Freezeline wrote:Don't dispare. I had the same problem using NOOBS-3-3-3. Instead, go to raspberrypi.org, downloads, 2013-12-20 wheezy-raspian for experts.
Hope this helps.
It seems like the download you mentioned does not exist. I could not find it.
DougieLawson wrote:What operating system did you choose from the NOOBS installation menu?
This was a newly-formatted card. I got the image on december 24th, 10 P.M (the latest one). I chose raspbian as only operating system. After rebooting, at least globbing works, but the X server does not start it is very likely that this is caused by the overfull SD card. See also:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=74457
This is annoying me.

klappsthuul

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:31 pm

That did it. It was even simpler than NOOBS. I just downloaded wheezy-raspbian.zip, extracted it and typed

Code: Select all

cp 2013-12-20-wheezy-raspbian.img /dev/sdb 
Note for users that have similar problems: You have to find out the correct path to your SD card. Im my case, it is /dev/sdb.

No formatting was needed. Everything seems to work fine. Thanks!

drgeoff

Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:44 pm

klappsthuul wrote:
That did it. It was even simpler than NOOBS. I just downloaded wheezy-raspbian.zip, extracted it and typed

Code: Select all

cp 2013-12-20-wheezy-raspbian.img /dev/sdb 
Note for users that have similar problems: You have to find out the correct path to your SD card. Im my case, it is /dev/sdb.

No formatting was needed. Everything seems to work fine. Thanks!
I'm very surprised that 'cp' method gave you a working SD card. Are you absolutely sure?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:19 pm

I would suggest you use NOOBS lite, this will only use a very small amount of space for the Recovery partition but will require you plug it into the network to install or recover.

The other thing you can do is load NOOBS as you did originally but remove the subdirectories in the os/ directory that you don't want (i.e. if you only want to install Raspbian then you can delete Arch Pidora and Raspbmc this will free up lots of space

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

klappsthuul

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:07 pm

gsh wrote: I'm very surprised that 'cp' method gave you a working SD card. Are you absolutely sure?
Yes, that's working. I did the same with a new 16 GB SD card. Note that I do not copy the image to /dev/sdb1, but to /dev/sdb, so any filesystem and the partition table will be overwritten.
gsh wrote:I would suggest you use NOOBS lite, this will only use a very small amount of space for the Recovery partition but will require you plug it into the network to install or recover.
Not necessary, cp with the raspbian-image was far easier. :-)

Return to “Troubleshooting”