JerryB

Raspberry files get lost

Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:09 am

I am using my Raspberry as a mediastreaming device and connected an external harddrive. It works great. I can copy files from my windows explorer environment and with deluge download torrent files. But when the Raspberry is disconnected from the power supply and booted up again several files that were imported are missing, even from days ago. Looks like it is using a cache or something. How can I force the Rasberry not to use cache but copy everything directly to the attached hard drive?

DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry files get lost

Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:40 pm

YOU MUST SHUTDOWN THE RPI BEFORE PULLING THE POWER.

If you don't do that you will
a) lose things
b) corrupt your SDCard
c) shorten the life of your SDCard

sudo halt
sudo shutdown -h now
should work to close it down cleanly.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

JerryB

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:11 am

Thanks for your answer. I know that is the safest way. My raspberry is connected at a power supply that for different reasons sometimes disconnects and connects again, the RP itself has no problem with this. What wonders me is that I have a 4 Gb SD card and maybe >100 gb data stored on the external drive. Where is it storing all this data when after a reboot some of this is lost? I even get things back I deleted earlier. Is this a linux feature?

remsnet

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:41 am

JerryB wrote:Thanks for your answer. I know that is the safest way. My raspberry is connected at a power supply that for different reasons sometimes disconnects and connects again, the RP itself has no problem with this. What wonders me is that I have a 4 Gb SD card and maybe >100 gb data stored on the external drive. Where is it storing all this data when after a reboot some of this is lost? I even get things back I deleted earlier. Is this a linux feature?
Not an Linux Featger , but thats your own GIFT as you probably not have the RPi read docs at elinux.org.
Espacaliy requiremennts.

With external usb drive you defitly require an RPi supprted powerd usb2 HUB.

The RPI Model B itself require 700-1200 mA
your Mouse ~ 35-120mA
your typeboard 25-500mA
external DRive 500mA -3000mA .. depend on vendor , model , case ...( powersource from USB2 HUB )

Keep that in mind of you want an stable PI running for MONTH / years.

i have pleynty of Pi´s here RUN stable with sutch working way.

Return to “Troubleshooting”