mehstg

Good MPD GUI Client

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi all

Just thought i'd do a quick straw poll on here. Brainstorming ideas at the moment after seeing a friend's Squeezebox Touch (http://www.stereophile.com/images/archi ... eeze.1.jpg).

I am considering emulating something similar using a Raspberry Pi.

I already have a screen I could reuse from another project, and have a HifiBerry DAC on order at the moment. My biggest stumbling block at the moment is a decent embedded GUI. Ideally i'd like to run the application directly to the framebuffer, negating the need for a window manager, and also have LIRC support. I am not bothered about the touch screen aspect, instead navigating through the menus using an IR remote.

Just wondering if anybody had any favourite clients they use. I might take a look at http://www.spida.net/projects/software/ ... ex.en.html tonight when I get home from work.

P

topguy

Re: Good MPD GUI Client

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:29 pm

My favorite client is my smartphone, the web-browser on the phone to be specific.

JF002

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm working on a project which will be a graphical frontend to Logitech Media Player and Squeezelite. It's based on QT5 and designed to be used with a touchscreen.
I'm thinking about releasing it publicly soon. Would you be interested?
My web site : https://codingfield.com

mehstg

Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:32 am

Yes! - out of interest, would it be difficult to modify it to work with LIRC?

ACX

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:19 am

Hello everyone, I join this discussion as I'm involved in a very similiar project (RuneAudio - www.runeaudio.com). We began with the aim to transform the Pi in a hi-fi music player, as it answered to our need of replacing the personal computer with a small+cheap+green+silent dedicated device. We based our system on MPD and, to make things easier for everybody, we also developed RuneUI, a webUI MPD client, included in the distro and working out off the box (you only have to point your browser to your Pi ip address).

We released our first working beta (limited in features) some days ago and we are collecting feedbacks to make future fixes and improvements. If you mind to give a try to our work (free and open source), please let me know.

Ciao!

mehstg

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:43 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am currently using something very similar (RaspyFi) however I am looking for something that runs it's GUI locally on the PI with support for LIRC. My plan is to include a small LCD screen in my project to display the GUI

ACX

Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:21 pm

If you are using RaspyFi you will found RuneUI familiar, as both interfaces were made by me and my teammate Simone :)

We plan to support both LIRC and LCD screen in the future as we noticed many people requiring those features, so if you want to contribute on that front you are welcome.

mehstg

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks. One thing I'd love to see in something like Raspyfi/RuneAudio is synchronised playback. I believe this is possible with MPD, but the ability to have multi zone playback would be excellent.

ACX

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:58 pm

That's another popular feature request. We are currently focusing on system performance and sound quality in this early development stage (the project main goal is an hi-fi player btw), but we don't discard the option to introduce multi zone playback support in the future.

JF002

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:06 pm

mehstg wrote:Yes! - out of interest, would it be difficult to modify it to work with LIRC?
No, not for now... IR is not a requirement for me... I wanted a player with "local" touch UI, not a webpage or a smartphone app or a IR remote control (I've already got too many of them!).

But I think you could easily use the same kind of architecture as the one I used in my project :
* Logitech Media Server as the audio streaming server. It support multiple players at the same time, playing different streams or synchronized
* Squeezelite, which is a headless emulator for Squezebox (that is, a player for Logitech Media Player).

LMS offers a CLI API which allows you to read the current track information, browse the library, send playback commands. So it should be possible to write a little program that sends command to LMS when you press a key on your remote control.
Or this kind of software might already exist.

Anyway, I wrote a little description page for my project. I called it "Touchradio".
You can read it in French or in English. (English is not my native language...).

Note that Touchradio is still a prototype, under heavy development. But if you are interested, just tell me ;-)
My web site : https://codingfield.com

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”