The Russian

Rasbian not reading NTSF?

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:02 pm

I have Raspbian and I have an External 3,5" cabbinet witha SATA disk that is full of Flac files,and when I try to copy one of the I get input/output error,I that an indication that it can´t read NTFS or what?

DougieLawson

Re: Rasbian not reading NTSF?

Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:40 pm

You can read (or write) NTFS.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gkreidl

Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:45 pm

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

If that does not help, you may have a power problem.
Last edited by gkreidl on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Nr90

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:29 am

Reading should work, writing might nog out of the box.
You would need to add the ntfs-3g package. The previous poster missed a word in the command to enter:
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

smithg400

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:06 am

I expect you already have the ntfs-3g package installed as you say the problem occurs when you go to copy a file (and you wouldn't be able to 'see' files without the package). So the problem is one of two things:

- There is insufficient power to the hard drive - a hard drive must be powered from it's own supply or from a powered USB hub - the Raspberry Pi won't provide enough power itself
- You have a physical error on the disk

If you can copy the file OK on another machine then the disk is probably OK and then I'd definitely look at the power supply.

The Russian

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:36 pm

I installed the 3g but no difference.
The HDD does have it´s own powersupply.
From Windows I can read and write to the disk.
I have another drive with it´s own powersupply,and from that the raspbian can read and copy OK.
So I suspect theres sommething wrong with the cabinett or the drive,just seems funny it works in windows..

gkreidl

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Many newer "self powered" usb HDs are not completely self powered at all; they take the 12 V from the power supply and the 5 V from usb. I fell into the same trap when buying a new HD. Only a powered usb hub will help in this case.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

The Russian

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Yes,I have a powered USB hubb and I connected it to the disk and now its working to copy files with rasbian.
Thanks for the answers!!

The Russian

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:33 pm

But now there is another problem..when I unplugg the power plugg to the Pi it doesn´t stop it keeps going...it must be getting the power trhough the USB cable from the hubb,is this how it should be?I mean I have a bipolar PSU to power the Pi and the PSU to the hubb is switched.... :roll:

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:59 pm

The Russian wrote:But now there is another problem..when I unplugg the power plugg to the Pi it doesn´t stop it keeps going...it must be getting the power trhough the USB cable from the hubb,is this how it should be?I mean I have a bipolar PSU to power the Pi and the PSU to the hubb is switched.... :roll:
About half of all "low-to-medium-cost" USB hubs "back-power" AFAICT (see here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... esChk.html for those I've tested). Some folks use this "feature" (strictly, it's not allowed by the USB specs.) to power their Pi's and accept the risks associated with having by-passed the Pi's own protection circuitry (polyfuse etc.).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

The Russian

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Ok,it is a cheap generic 7 port hub,what can I do,open it (I am used to DIY soldering)and break the traces(the power traces) to the port going to the Pi?

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:10 am

Or cut the "red wire" inside the cable from the Hub to the Pi.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

The Russian

Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:04 pm

I cut the trace,and now it´s working like it should.

Return to “Troubleshooting”