Takenover83

What's up with audio in advmenu (advancemenu)?

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:44 am

I am finally getting around to testing advmenu.
Sound is terrible. I had to disable it for now. I googled a ton, but didn't find any real fixes. Any one figure out why it sounds so bad? Same issue on 1.5 and 1.6. Tried changing some settings to no avail. Tested mp3 and wav.

welshy

Re: What's up with audio in advmenu (advancemenu)?

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:30 am

Takenover83
Have had the same issue since compiling, whatever I do, change format, change Fz/Buffer it always sounds 'Scratchy'. Have yet to find a solution, bit of a shame!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Takenover83

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:57 am

Agree'd. I rather like the video preview/animations you can make. But they are kinda lifeless with sound disabled. Emulationstation does not have a animation/video feature that I know of. Lots of custimization option's in advmenu. Took a bit to wrap my head around the cfg file. Pretty neat considering it requires almost no dependencies on Raspbian.

welshy

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Takenover83
I don't know if movies made using the 'Built In' recorder suffer from the same affliction? I suppose it depends what video files you wish to run in the background of the Menu. I also couldn't find an mp4/avi to mng convertor so gave up and run a video from the boot script before AdvMENU loads! (It wasn't 'Game Footage' I wished to show).

Takenover83

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:56 pm

I found a combo that works if you are interested. I downloaded some mp4's from emumovies (or you can make your own in mame32). Renamed them to avi, and converted with VGM2. It will spit out a mnq and wav. I converted the wav to mp3 with LameDropXPd.

Only problem is some of the movies from emumovies start with black frames. I sometimes had to trim the first few seconds to get rid of those black frames so advmenu would have a thumbnail that was not black. No big deal, just used virtualdub and the ffinput plugin (support for more then avi formats). Also set the avi to 10 seconds. Most clip's I downloaded were around ~30-seconds. This cut the file size down about ~%66.

welshy

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Takenover83
Thanks for the tip! Shame it doesn't accept standard (e.g. avi) video files like Maximus Arcade etc. I knew it might be a rigmarole, at the time I was looking at: converting a video file to individual png images, then use the supplied advmng back to a movie file! That's why I gave up, too time consuming! I'm happy with my boot up video (See Here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvf23jZbpCs) but I then wanted the 'Light Cycle' Scene in the Menu background (as I have them set up in Maximus).

Takenover83

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:11 pm

I really liked that intro video. All these nice frontends for Windows mostly. Linux has a couple nice open source ones but from what I gather they are heavy on resources/dependencies. Are these really the only option's?

Advmenu - starting to show age? Can be a pain to configure.
EmulationStation - pretty ui, easy to navigate. But not many features outside of the basics really.

Edit: Wah!Cade looks neat but I think it has to be run in X?

welshy

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Takenover83 wrote: Edit: Wah!Cade looks neat but I think it has to be run in X?
I looked at that a while back, not really realistic if its XWin only, I did use another one on my 'Test Bed' before receiving my RPI (cant remember the name) but again, XWin only! Yeah, its a pretty neat video to use for MAME intro (especially if your of an age where TRON is a 'Classic'). That's why I haven't ever fully converted to Linux, EMULATORS! Most are not as good/plentifully as Windows versions and Linux doesn't have a good alternative to DAEMON Tools to run 'Virtual Drives'.

berighteous

Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:47 pm

All of my movies are mng with mp3 audio and they sound terrible in the advmenu. I've tried converting the mp3 to wav, but they are still awful. I've been disabling the audio in advmenu for my bartop cabs.

I'd like to get something working.

welshy

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:00 pm

berighteous
As I replied to Takenover83, I have tried everything possible to clean up the sound from changing sound files to altering settings within AdvMENU, nothing worked. A shame really! That's why I ended up running a video file at boot before AdvMENU runs as a way around the problem.

Takenover83

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:17 pm

The source is available for those who have the know how. It would be nice if we could subsitute mng support for something more widely used, such as avi/mp4, and fix the sound.

Vanfanel

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:24 pm

welshy wrote:
Takenover83 wrote: Edit: Wah!Cade looks neat but I think it has to be run in X?
I looked at that a while back, not really realistic if its XWin only, I did use another one on my 'Test Bed' before receiving my RPI (cant remember the name) but again, XWin only! Yeah, its a pretty neat video to use for MAME intro (especially if your of an age where TRON is a 'Classic'). That's why I haven't ever fully converted to Linux, EMULATORS! Most are not as good/plentifully as Windows versions and Linux doesn't have a good alternative to DAEMON Tools to run 'Virtual Drives'.
Whelsy, man, I really like you, but this is too much! Repeat with me these FACTS and please don't be spreading mindless ideas around again:

-Most emulators are open-source projects. Most emulators are compiled for GNU/Linux systems. Of course, the interesting ones are ALL on Linux.
-Since emulators can be run in lightweight GNU/Linux enviroments without Xorg backends and closed-source binary drivers (Intel, Nouveau...) on every arch, even using KMS/EGL/GLES like RetroArch does, input/video/audio lag is almost gone (GPU is "fenced"), while you're in lag-land in Windows enviroments.
-Daemon TOOLS to run virtual devices? What about emulators loading ISO images without any problems? Who needs that crap-ware Daemon thing? You CAN use the mount command on an ISO image, even on anything as exotic as an Apple HFS floppy image, so stop claiming crapware. There's no need for such thing on GNU/Linux, we have the same functionality just way better implemented.

Whelsy: you can use the command line, you can make shell scripts, you can use your mind, I have read your posts for months and I KNOW you're an smart guy who is always trying to help people around here with a patience I don't remotely have. So, please, think before you post these things... Windows has made enough damage already. It must come to and end.

Takenover83

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 am

Just a FYI.
I tried recording some mng/wav with advancemame on the pi. Did not help with the sound. Still scratchy.
Kinda Off Topic: Anyone know how to map joystick buttons in advmenu? I have enabled the joystick option in advmenu.rc but I don't seem to have a joystick button that will switch emulators.

I know I could go the advanced route and map keyboard actions to the controller but I would rather not.

welshy

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:44 pm

Takenover83
I'm not sure if that option is available. I just set to 'Mixed' so it diplays a list of all emulators along with their respective games and a 'snapshot'.

See Here - http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/menu-snapshot.html

Don't forget, if it isnt AdvMAME or AdvMESS you have to add the emulator to the .rc and change the script to display it
e.g.
emulator "DGEN" generic "/usr/local/bin/dgen" "%p" (emulator name, location and launch script (%s if file extension not required))
emulator_roms "DGEN" "/home/pi/dgenroms" (roms location)
emulator_altss "DGEN" "/home/pi/dgensnap" (snapshots location)
emulator_include "DGEN" (display emulator in list)

Takenover83

Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Yes, I got it is working fine, just couldnt switch emulator's via joystick js0. Had to use the keyboard via "F6". I really don't wanna throw all my rom's in "mixed" mode either, as it would be no fun to navigate.

welshy

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:12 pm

Takenover83
No Probs! It's an individual thing on how people want displays, I have another Image (just PiMAME4ALL) that only requires a joypad, the ROMS display as snapshot icons (Tiles) for easy navigation.

welshy

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 am

Takenover83
I noticed the events in the .rc script i.e.

event_assign emulator f6

Others such as 'event_assign mode tab' seem to be applied to joypad buttons. Have you tried altering the script to assign this to a button on the joypad?

There is also an FAQ at the Homepage, it may contain an answer to your query

Here - http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/doc-faq.html

Takenover83

Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:49 pm

I was researching that very thing. But unfortionatly I would just be guessing for the correct format to use for joystick. I even tried looking at the advmame config, but it's called "input_map". Not sure if the commands from advmame can be applied to advmenu. Would require some testing.

welshy

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Takenover83
I found the original 'Tron' inspired MAME intro if you wanted it, much better quality than downloading from UTube!

Here - http://www.cinemarcade.com/movies.html

Return to “Gaming”