NorthernPike

Repeating Keyboard Characters

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:48 am

This is nuts. Think I should have stayed with Arduino. Can't login because the keyboard input is jerky or repeats. Since I can't see the "Password" entry I can't tell when the keyboard is missing or repeating. Tried Three different wireless Microsoft keyboards and one wired which I know works cause it's from my desktop. I'm using it for this. I am very very disappointed. I saw the post about an Elephant Problem but can't find the definition of it or what it means. I'm ******** off. This is a brand new board as part of the Educational bundle. If the kids see this happen, it's back to MAC or Windows they will go. I want an answer and I want it NOW!!! :x

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Repeating Keyboard Characters

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:26 am

Calm down. No need to start ranting. Questions with demands are less likely to meet adequate responses.

This is almost certainly one of two things - either your power supply is inadequate, or you are using very old software.

So, what power supply are you using, and what is the origin of the SW on the SD card?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

NorthernPike

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Calm down? Seriously? I spent good money on a product you know is broken but sell it anyways and you want me to calm down? No, I won't. I want answers. And here are yours.
The power supply I am using CAME with the pi as part of the bundle. You know, that cheap little wall wart. As far as the software version, The SD is 8GB and also CAME with the bundle with NOOBS on it. From what I've been reading, that's your latest version so it's NOT an old version.
Common man, I can't even login with this keyboard problem. So don't ask anymore questions and give me the solution to this issue now or else.

r4049zt

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:14 pm

I don't like wifi so do not comment on that.
If you had a known good usb keyboard and it still won't log in, maybe try flashing an sd card with pidora and see if that works. If not then you have duff hardware and should try asking the seller for a return replacement.

RaTTuS

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:28 pm

to the OP
yes calm down
what keyboard are you using ?
have you got a powered usb hub if so give us url's
also give us the url to the thing you bought

use a cheep keyboard one that does not have usb ports in it ,
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

NorthernPike

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Duff hardware. What is that??? I'm American, we don't use words like duff to describe crappy hardware. We simply say it's shit and advice everyone NOT to waste their money. So, your telling me I purchased garbage. Well, fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you. I won't bother returning it. I will simply cut my losses and throw it into the trash. Then, create a YouTube video about my experience with Raspberry Pi, make entries into Yelp about my opinion of the product and advice the schools in my area to stay clear of your product. Common man, keyboards have been used for years. This is just lame.
So you want me to spend more money to get a new SD card and flash it with Pidora, seriously? Not going to happen. I want answers that will fix what I have. And I want them now.

DavidS

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:55 pm

NorthernPike wrote:Duff hardware. What is that??? I'm American, we don't use words like duff to describe crappy hardware. We simply say it's shit and advice everyone NOT to waste their money. So, your telling me I purchased garbage.
No one said that. The RPi is a very good little Single Board Computer (SBC), and I use 6 of them as my primary computers.

Just like ANY brand of ANY computer about 1 in 5000 comes out with a defect that made it past quality control, this is the reason for a warranty. And actually the RPi has a better rate of GOOD hw than even the highly promoted Brands.
Well, fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you. I won't bother returning it. I will simply cut my losses and throw it into the trash.
Then, create a YouTube video about my experience with Raspberry Pi, make entries into Yelp about my opinion of the product and advice the schools in my area to stay clear of your product.
Do not forget to mention how you did not want to hear the solutions to your trouble though would rather rant and rave like a druggie comming down off of Meth.

If you did not want to learn how to use it effectively why did you buy it? Was it your intent to imediately attempt to deface the system with out taking the time to read about it or learn how to use it?
Common man, keyboards have been used for years. This is just lame.
So you want me to spend more money to get a new SD card and flash it with Pidora, seriously? Not going to happen.
Yes because $1.50 down at your local WalMart for a 2GB class 4 SD Card is just to much to find out if the issue is user error. And you do not have the 8GB SD That you claimed came with it.
I want answers that will fix what I have. And I want them now.
So in sum you are saying that you do not want the solution you would rather rant and rave like a lunitic high on Meth, does that about sum it?

Now if you will please calm down. The most likely problem is that you are using a keyboard or mouse that is drawing to much power. You can try either using an external SEPERATELY POWERED USB HUB, or use a Logitech K120 Keyboard, and Logitech M100 Mouse.

The RPi does not supply as much power to USB as other systems, so if you are not willing to attempt the solution why did you ask?
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

NorthernPike

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:05 pm

To rattus,
I tried four different keyboards. 3 wireless 1 wired. I know the wired one works because I'm using it now for this reply. I even unplugged the wireless mouse so all I had hooked up was the wired keyboard. Still repeating and sticking. I do not use a powered USB hub. I simply connected everything to the board. I'm sorry if I sound angry but think about it, keyboards have been around for how many years??? Please, I'm no idiot, I've been working with micros for 35 years. Never have I ever had a problem with the hardware not being able to read the keyboard. This is crazy. I can't login, I can't do anything.
So, here's how I got the product. I drove an hour to the Micro Electronics store in Chicago, purchased the MCM Raspberry Pi Model B Education Kit. It included the Model B board, 5V 1amp Micro USB power supply, 8GB SD card with NOOBS, a users guide and a skill badge. I did everything right. So what's up???

NorthernPike

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:12 pm

to davids
Hey, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I did my research, I have an 8GB SD, I have everything right. Your board has a problem and you seem to refuse to ignore it. And besides, what solutions should I try since I haven't been given any. What's the matter boy, don't like it when people let you know how they feel about being ripped off. Grow up and fix your hardware. For God's sake, can't even read a simple keyboard. :lol:

paulie

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:22 pm

Here is a link to a page listing Peripherals that are known to work.

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

I had the 'sticky keys' problem with a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse,but changing to another brand fixed it.
The above link has subsections for certain devices: the keyboard page also lists problematic devices - perhaps your keyboard is one of these..

People on this Forum are helpful, but you do have to ask politely, and let us know what you have tried to do yourself first.
The Pi is primarily an educational device: if you are willing to learn, members & moderators will guide you, perseverance pays off.
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

Burngate

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:41 pm

NorthernPike wrote:... I did everything right. So what's up???
From the other side of the pond, it looks like you didn't do everything right !

The Pi isn't a polished apple, it's a warts 'n' all learning machine.

It's possible that the NOOBS on your card isn't as up-to-date as it ought to be.
So maybe download the newest version, and try that.

Or maybe you'd be better off with one of the other downloads - if you've "been working with micros for 35 years" then you should be able to handle that.

So what causes keyboard stuttering?
Number one is the power supply - though if MCM supplied it there's a good chance it'll be okay.
But not all keyboards are equal, and the more expensive ones seem to be less equal than others, and wireless ones even less so.
Just 'cos it works on a Windows box doesn't mean it follows all the USB rules - all that means is it follows enough of the rules to work with Windows, or Windows breaks the same rules so it makes up for the short-fall.

Still, you've got a choice.
Throw it in the trash - and lose $35
Or drive back to Chicago for help from the MCM guys - how much $$ for your time and fuel?
Or slow down, stop ranting, and see if we can help. Cost may end up being $0 - though I won't guarantee it. I will guarantee you'll learn something usefull to both of us.

"Advice" - noun. "Advise" - verb.
"Common" = "everyday". "Come on" = "I'm having a God-awful day. The dog died, my wife left me, the broccoli got burnt and the beer's flat"

NorthernPike

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 pm

to paulie
Thanks for the link. But I already had it and saw my Microsoft keyboards listed as being ok. I am not using the raspi to learn, I am using it for a really cool project. But I didn't expect to spend time with a keyboard issue. As for politeness, how is being called a Meth addict polite? If I had known I would be dealing with children, I never would have considered the raspi for this project. So, you can tell davids to go to hell. He makes all kinds of asinine assumptions just like a child would do. Then he makes all kinds of excuses just like a child would do. I'm a professional who doesn't have time to battle wits with kids. I need to know if I made the right choice for this project I'm working on and right now the answer seems to be no. Which is a pity cause if it did work, there could potentially be thousands of my end product from this project made for consumers. I didn't want BeagleBone because of the price. I didn't want Arduino because it has no HDMI. So guess what, the raspi fit perfect. Well, almost. Oh well, my mistake. So I guess I will have to wait until February of 2014 for the Arduino TRE. It will have HDMI. My main requirement. But, I will get my hands on a Logitec keyboard and see what happens. I'm not giving up yet, but I do need to start developing and coding soon.

NorthernPike

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:52 pm

to burngate
Hey dude, I don't need English lessons, I need answers.
Kids, should have known better.

DavidS

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:19 pm

NorthernPike wrote:to davids
Hey, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I did my research, I have an 8GB SD, I have everything right. Your board has a problem and you seem to refuse to ignore it. And besides, what solutions should I try since I haven't been given any. What's the matter boy, don't like it when people let you know how they feel about being ripped off. Grow up and fix your hardware. For God's sake, can't even read a simple keyboard. :lol:
For the fith time (at leaste) TRY PLUGGING THE KEYBOARD AND MOUS IN THROUGH A POWERED USB HUB. It is well documented that the Raspberry Pi does not provide much power out to the USB, and this can cause problems with some power hungry keyboards and mice. Especialy if you have already triple checked the power suply that you are using.

Now that I repeated myself, will you please calm down and read what people are writing, and stop saying that they are not providing any advice when they are?

It can read a keyboard, I have had no trouble with this with 6 Raspberry Pi setups.

People have been repeatedly telling you to try an external powered USB HUB, and if that does not solve the issue check your power supply if the voltage is of or it is not able to provide the needed amperage and maintain 5 volte +-5% then replace it, and if the issue persists tru flashing a different OS onto your SD Card, no need to buy one if you already have one. And this is wat every one has been saying. hence my responce above.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:38 pm

NorthernPike wrote:to paulie
Thanks for the link. But I already had it and saw my Microsoft keyboards listed as being ok. I am not using the raspi to learn, I am using it for a really cool project. But I didn't expect to spend time with a keyboard issue. As for politeness, how is being called a Meth addict polite? If I had known I would be dealing with children, I never would have considered the raspi for this project. So, you can tell davids to go to hell. He makes all kinds of asinine assumptions just like a child would do. Then he makes all kinds of excuses just like a child would do. I'm a professional who doesn't have time to battle wits with kids. I need to know if I made the right choice for this project I'm working on and right now the answer seems to be no. Which is a pity cause if it did work, there could potentially be thousands of my end product from this project made for consumers. I didn't want BeagleBone because of the price. I didn't want Arduino because it has no HDMI. So guess what, the raspi fit perfect. Well, almost. Oh well, my mistake. So I guess I will have to wait until February of 2014 for the Arduino TRE. It will have HDMI. My main requirement. But, I will get my hands on a Logitec keyboard and see what happens. I'm not giving up yet, but I do need to start developing and coding soon.
So if asking you to calm down is a assignine asumption, then I guess that is that. I just suggested that you calm down and read what had been said. I made the comparison to the behaviour of a meth addict, not as an accusation (that is an ASSIMPTION on your part) though rather to point out your kicking and screaming behaviour, attempting to get you to calm down and read the suggestions that had been made. I made zero assumptions, only an attempt to get you to calm down.

Actualy I was first interested in your post in that you say that you have puilt your own Personal computers from scratch and I have done the same from time to time, usually the most difficult part is getting the PCB layout tuned to eliminate crostalk, and signal skew during the design phase. I enjoy designing and building such devices. My curiosity on that point was if you have only written in BASIC how did you create the firmware for your Home Made Personal Computers? This is something of greate interest to me, as I have always written the firmware in the assembly language of the CPU being used.

NorthernPike

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Your not assuming eh? Bull. Your assuming right now that I've only programmed in
BASIC. Where did that assumption come from. I made no statement making that claim. I've written code in assembly using MASM, I burned 2708's and 2716 EEPROMs with machine code. I know C,C++, Java, Fortran Cobol, JavaScript, HTML, Assembly, heck, you name it, I've coded in it. Even Python. For the past 35 years I've worked with micros of all kinds and yes ARMs too. I just want it to work and when I have to deal with a stupid keyboard issues I get upset. There is no reason for this. Not in this day and age anyways. But, I guess you people aren't up on the latest and greatest hardware designs for keyboard interfacing and would rather try to defend your incompetent design, go ahead. Be a fool. Geesh, kids, what ya gonna do......

DavidS

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:24 pm

My apologies I made an error therin. I must have gotten your post mixed up with another, as there was a similar post someware today that included a statement of building PCs and only having programmed in BASIC.

No offence though I am guessing that you are in your fifties, just a guess. I make that statemnet as you refer to me as a kid, and being 35 years 5 months 28 days of age the difference would have to be at least 15 years in age.

I meant no offence above it just seemed as if you were ranting and raving, and it apeared that you were ignoring these same suggestions. I just felt that if apearences were accurate, it would help if you calmed down, and it apeared as if simply asking had not worked, so I attempted to highlite the apearence of the observed behaviour in a slightly dramatic way.

Sounds as if you have a bit more coding experience than I. I only have much experience in x86 Assembly, z80 assembly, 6502/65816 assembly, ARM assembly, Propeller Assembly, 680x0 assembly, PDP-8 assembly, PDP-11 MAC Assembly, C, C++, Pascal, MS-BASIC, BBC BASIC V, QB, Tackle, Forth, and a few others. Though I am one of those that do not count markup as programming (Hence why I did not list my experience with HYP, HTML, DBASE, StrongHelp, etc).

I do not expect Keyboards that do NOT follow the standards to work. Sometimes they do, though there is a reason for standards. Also unfortunately many Keyboards are Power hogs, for these a Powered USB HUB is a requirement as the RPi can only provide about 250milliAmpers to the USB total. Though if you are getting them for educational purposes, the Logitech K120 Keyboard costs $10 US in most stores, and the Logitech M100 mouse costs about the same, and the M100 has a middle mouse button, a big plus if you decide to try RISC OS (DO NOT USE THE RISC OS IN NOOBS It is a very early RPi port that is super buggy (PreAlpha quality), if you try RISC OS download the RC11 image it is very stable).

So have you made any progress figuring out the issue with your Raspberry and Keyboard combination?

NorthernPike

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:50 pm

to Davids
I found an old Logitech K800 wireless keyboard I used a few years back for a project I worked on. I recharged it's rechargable batteries which are internal to the keyboard. Plugged in its USB dongle, plugged in the power to the raspi, watched it boot up and when it came time to enter the login I typed pi and hit enter. No repeating. I then entered raspberry for the password, hit enter while keeping my fingers crossed and low and behold it worked. I was logged in. I typed startx and the GUI came up. The Microsoft wireless mouse model 4000 was working nicely in the GUI as well. YES!!!! I then rebooted to see if my dream had actually come true. Yes, it booted, took the login and password again and logged me in. I then rebooted for a third time, since they are always the charm and got the same successful results. So, I double clicked Scratch, had to peek at that. Bingo, it works. Double clicked the LXTerminal which worked and allowed me to use the keyboard to see if there was any repeating but there didn't seem to be. Everything seems to be working fine.
So, I am going to do one more thing. I am going to cut the power cord, put my amp meter in series and see just how much current is being drawn. Also, since the two USB ports are taken and I need wireless Wifi internet access, I will need a powered USB hub, which is fine. But I know some have limited current capabilities and was wondering if you can suggest or recommend a good one to buy.
Things are looking up, and I hope to have a long and enjoyable experience with the raspi.

DavidS

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:02 pm

I usualy use the inexpencive CyberPower 4 and 8 port HUBs, though just give a good look at the rating and avoid any that do not limit backflow of current. Just my suggestion. Though I do not know if WiFi will be an isue with the CyberPower HUBs, I live in the middle of a city with at least 12 WiFi networks in range, and thus refuse to use WiFi (I only use a wired connection), not to mention that I know to much about the 802.11 standards to even think about using WiFi.

I wish you the best of times with the Raspberry Pi.

As to the keyboard and mouse:
I am glad to hear that it is working.

MoosePi

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:09 pm

Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 4-Port Hub F5U234 Revision 3 2.6A Power Supply

Following this thread I bought one of these and found it stable and one less power brick as was suggested powered the Pi from the hub:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... lit=F5U234

http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs
Pi Forum Search and Google yields answers to many questions

jamesh

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:17 am

To the OP. You are about one unacceptable post from a complete ban. We do not like people coming in here being rude, slagging off the device before actually going through any sort of process to ensure they are doing things right. We have millions of devices out there that people get on with fine, so in all likelihood, the problem is at your end, and if you calm down enough to actually listen to the advice being given, things will almost certainly be worked out. Fortunately your most recent post is much more acceptable, so please continue in that vein.

Remember this is a site used by children, and we will ensure that is remains suitable for them.

As to your problem, it's almost certainly a power supply issue. You can check the voltage on the board between TP1 and TP2. Anything below about 4.5v (or thereabouts) and your power supply is inadequate OR the USB cable you are using is useless (there are some USB cables out there of very low quality indeed). This often exhibits as a keyboard repeating problem. A search of the forum will shows posts from a while back explaining this.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

pjc123

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Why do you people even respond to someone this arrogant.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

jamesh

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:50 pm

pjc123 wrote:Why do you people even respond to someone this arrogant.
Because they still need help.

We do have to ban a few people who just seem incapable of being polite (or just go on and on and on when warned not to), which is a shame, but we do need to keep the forum disruption free.

Burngate

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:20 pm

pjc123 wrote:Why do you people even respond to someone this arrogant.
Because I'm often like that, myself!

Pi_Fanatic

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:44 pm

All, In order to test the current being supplies by the power supply. You can simply use a multimeter set to measure DC voltages and apply the Red lead to TP2 (by the composite video jack) and the Black lead to TP1 ( by the Power port) . That will give you a readout of the voltage from boot up to desktop. If you measure without peripherals on the USB and then measure again with the USB populated, you can tell the increase in draw.

Pi_Fanatic

Return to “Advanced users”