ultimatepi

Pi camera

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi.

I recently got a Raspberry Pi camera and its great. The other day I was on the web looking for any Pi accessories to get, and came across a XBMC remote on The Pi Hut. It states in the description that it is for controlling XBMC, but I thought it would be great for controlling my camera. Problem is, I do not know whether it will be able to control my camera. I would be very grateful if anybody would be able to tell me if this remote: http://thepihut.com/products/xmbc-ir-remote-control would be able to control my Pi camera.
Attachments
raspberry_pi_remote_.jpg
raspberry_pi_remote_.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
I am still learning the world of Raspberry Pi, apologies if I double post.

I've learnt one thing about Raspberry Pi: You fix an issue, but then you discover another.

dan3008

Re: Pi camera

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:22 pm

Please clarify what it is your asking

if you have a receiver attached, you can use that to make your pi do any number of things, but a remote cant directly control the camera.
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

ultimatepi

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:41 pm

I was hoping that I could program the remote to take photo and video from the camera. I just don't know if the camera uses NEC coding.

I've learnt one thing about Raspberry Pi: You fix an issue, but then you discover another.

wibble82

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:25 pm

I would be surprised if it 'just worked' - the camera is just an input device and has no knowledge of remote controls!

However, if you can write python script (or other code) that picks up inpu from your controller it'd be trivial to make it run raspistill or raspivid in response.

wibble82

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:30 pm

On closer inspection, I think you've misunderstood the 'nec coding'. This is the protocol the controller sends to the ir receiver, such as the FLIRC USB stick on the web site. You'd then write software that read data from the FLIRC and controlled your pi.

ultimatepi

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:08 am

Thank you for the information.

Return to “Camera board”