AidenPi

Re: 2.8" TFT + Touch Shield Board

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi Texy,

Great product, and great instructions! I finally got the screen to work, and boot to the Raspian desktop, the only issues I have now is the mouse curser appears to have a 'button' permanently pressed down (so it drags a grey box everytime you move the curser) , also the curser appears to move to the opposite direction to where you actually put your finger i.e. if you put your finger on top of the screen the curser moves to the bottom of the screen.
I presume its because its not calibrated correctly, but when I was at the calibration bit pushing the crosshairs in, it seemed to take ages to register when it was touched and I had to do it several times before the crosshairs moved to the next one.
Anyone else have the same problem, and know how to correct this!?

This is my only issue now, the rest of it is great!!

jbeale

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:41 pm

I've finally got around to trying out my TFT28 v1a board. I'm trying to understand what GPIO pins are still free for my use when the LCD panel is connected. In the first post in this thread, it says the LCD display uses these pins:
Screen and TP use hardware SPI ( SLCK, MOSI, MISO, CE0 & CE1 ) plus 3 additional GPIO lines ( GPIO17, GPIO12 & GPIO25 )
I believe GPIO12 may be a typo because I cannot locate any pin by that number. Was that supposed to be GPIO21, or maybe something else?
The complete list of chipset GPIO pins which are available on the GPIO connector is:
0, 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

(on the Revision2.0 RaspberryPis, this list changes to: 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 18, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, with 28, 29, 30, 31 additionally available on the P5 header)
- from http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_periphe ... re_hacking

jbeale

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:58 am

I have my LCD panel working based on the instructions in the first post. Great! Also the R-Pi camera take shot / display demo
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 25#p387136 is working OK. Very nice!

Next question: I have the display connected to a R-Pi Model A, which has a USB hub providing mouse, keyboard, and wifi connection. I also am talking to it via the serial console on the GPIO pins. I had a very hard time logging in via USB keyboard, because the keys were sticking and repeating at random. I have never seen my Pi do this before (although I know other have reported it can be caused by USB 1.1 and USB 2 devices sharing a hub, under some circumstances).

Is there something about the patched kernel needed to support the LCD fb1 device, which also is causing the USB keyboard stutter? Do other people see this problem as well?

By the way, here is a quick shell script to display the pictures in a folder. It doesn't quite work properly though, something about the timeout command? It just keeps spawning more 'fbi' processes, instead of one at a time.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
FILES=/home/pi/LCD/pics/*.jpg

while :
do
  for f in $FILES
  do
     echo "Displaying $f"
     sudo fbi -t 4 -vt 1 -d /dev/fb1 -a $f
     sleep 6
  done
done

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:37 am

jbeale wrote:I've finally got around to trying out my TFT28 v1a board. I'm trying to understand what GPIO pins are still free for my use when the LCD panel is connected. In the first post in this thread, it says the LCD display uses these pins:
Screen and TP use hardware SPI ( SLCK, MOSI, MISO, CE0 & CE1 ) plus 3 additional GPIO lines ( GPIO17, GPIO12 & GPIO25 )
I believe GPIO12 may be a typo because I cannot locate any pin by that number. Was that supposed to be GPIO21, or maybe something else?
The complete list of chipset GPIO pins which are available on the GPIO connector is:
0, 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

(on the Revision2.0 RaspberryPis, this list changes to: 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 18, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, with 28, 29, 30, 31 additionally available on the P5 header)
- from http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_periphe ... re_hacking
Ah yes - apologies - it's physical pin 12, but GPIO18. No one else noticed that error - I have corrected the first post.
Thankyou,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:41 am

jbeale wrote:I have my LCD panel working based on the instructions in the first post. Great! Also the R-Pi camera take shot / display demo
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 25#p387136 is working OK. Very nice!

Next question: I have the display connected to a R-Pi Model A, which has a USB hub providing mouse, keyboard, and wifi connection. I also am talking to it via the serial console on the GPIO pins. I had a very hard time logging in via USB keyboard, because the keys were sticking and repeating at random. I have never seen my Pi do this before (although I know other have reported it can be caused by USB 1.1 and USB 2 devices sharing a hub, under some circumstances).

Is there something about the patched kernel needed to support the LCD fb1 device, which also is causing the USB keyboard stutter? Do other people see this problem as well?

By the way, here is a quick shell script to display the pictures in a folder. It doesn't quite work properly though, something about the timeout command? It just keeps spawning more 'fbi' processes, instead of one at a time.

#!/bin/bash
FILES=/home/pi/LCD/pics/*.jpg

while :
do
  for f in $FILES
  do
     echo "Displaying $f"
     sudo fbi -t 4 -vt 1 -d /dev/fb1 -a $f
     sleep 6
  done
done
To my knowledge no one else has reported this. Then again think very few people use that serial port. I guess it must be something that rpi-update has introduced. How up to date was your kernel before this update? Are you able to repeat the problem on a non-fbtft compatible raspbian os after running rpi-update? It would be useful to know if it's the ftfbf element of the upgrade doing the damage.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:44 am

The original compiled copy of fbcp that I use is attached.
Texy
Attachments
fbcp.zip
(3.67 KiB) Downloaded 1496 times

jbeale

Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:37 pm

texy wrote:To my knowledge no one else has reported this. Then again think very few people use that serial port. I guess it must be something that rpi-update has introduced. How up to date was your kernel before this update? Are you able to repeat the problem on a non-fbtft compatible raspbian os after running rpi-update? It would be useful to know if it's the ftfbf element of the upgrade doing the damage.
Texy
Thanks for the replies. In fact the GPIO UART (on-board serial port) is the only thing that makes my system work at the moment. The normal USB keyboard is pretty much unusable from sticking and repeated keys. This persists even with the Wifi stick removed, so it is not a question of USB1.1 vs USB2 devices on one hub. Also, on reboot, it takes much longer, about 5 minutes to come up; before it was about 30 seconds, so there is definitely something not quite right on this system.

This system started with Raspbian setup from a preloaded "NOOBS" SD card, and everything had worked OK. The system was fully up-to-date as of one month ago. Then I followed the instructions in the first post, and got the LCD working, but that caused the keyboard trouble. Just now I also tried starting X (normally I don't use it) and the X desktop came up on my HDMI monitor, but was unusable as my mouse was not recognized at all. It used to work before doing the LCD install.

Now I just tried removed the LCD screen, and rebooting with just keyboard and mouse. The boot happens quickly as it always did before, the mouse works, but the keyboard is still sticking. Reboot with keyboard, mouse and wifi: boot happens after long ~ 5minute delay, and wifi device is not recognized. Dmesg excerpt:

[   33.968498] usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[   34.158524] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 6 using dwc_otg
[   49.239072] usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[   64.429634] usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[   64.619654] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 7 using dwc_otg
[   74.679772] usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 7, error -71
[   77.360016] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 9 using dwc_otg
[   77.460440] usb 1-1.4: config index 0 descriptor too short (expected 259, got 3)
[   77.460472] usb 1-1.4: config 81 has too many interfaces: 128, using maximum allowed: 32
[   77.460490] usb 1-1.4: config 81 has 0 interfaces, different from the descriptor's value: 128
[   77.461765] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8176
[   77.461789] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[   77.461804] usb 1-1.4: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
[   77.461817] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: Realtek
[   77.461830] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
[   77.471803] usb 1-1.4: can't set config #81, error -32
Next step: comment out the devices in /etc/modules:

snd-bcm2835
# fbtft_device name=hy28a rotate=270
# ads7846_device pressure_max=255 y_min=190 y_max=3850 gpio_pendown=17 x_max=3850 x_min=230 x_plate_ohms=100 swap_xy=1 verbose=3
Now device boots normally again and USB wifi is recognized and working. Keyboard still sticky / repeating, though.

Finally, I just did
sudo rpi-update
and reboot. Now it is back to working normally and keyboard does not stick. No LCD support now, of course.

Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #557 PREEMPT Wed Oct 2 18:49:09 BST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi,
strange, I,m sure I tried with a NOOBS os sometime in the distant past, but not recently. I will give it a go tonight and see what we find.
Texy

AidenPi

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:20 am

Hi guys,

I've re-calibrated the touchscreen a few times, and changed the part where it says 'rotate 270' a few times to try and get the touchscreen to work correctly - I'm still getting the issue where if I touch the top of the screen the curser is at the bottom of the screen, and as I move my finger down, the curser moves up, so it's totally out of sync. Anyone have any ideas to correct this?!

Aiden

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:45 am

AidenPi wrote:Hi guys,

I've re-calibrated the touchscreen a few times, and changed the part where it says 'rotate 270' a few times to try and get the touchscreen to work correctly - I'm still getting the issue where if I touch the top of the screen the curser is at the bottom of the screen, and as I move my finger down, the curser moves up, so it's totally out of sync. Anyone have any ideas to correct this?!

Aiden
Sorry - I must put this into the set up instructions :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 75#p425962
Texy

AidenPi

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:46 am

texy wrote:

Aiden
Texy

Thanks! That looks like it will work, I'll try it later when I get home.
Thats brilliant.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:19 am

texy wrote:Hi,
strange, I,m sure I tried with a NOOBS os sometime in the distant past, but not recently. I will give it a go tonight and see what we find.
Texy
I downloaded NOOBS1.3 and selected Raspbian, raspbmc and openelec as 3 os installations on a fresh SD card.
I selected raspbian as the os. At that point I was local and connected to my hdmi tv and network. I had already connected the TFT shield to the pi and I also had a local keyboard and mouse connected. After raspbian booted up I noted the ip and took over via ssh with my laptop.
I then went through my setup instructions on the first post by copying and pasting into puTTY as usual.
I encountered no issues at all expect finger trouble when I mucked up the touchscreen calibration by pressing on one point twice by mistake. A simple rerun of the calibration app sorted that out. I thought I,d give openelec a go as well, but it seems it is missing a lot of core components needed for the setup, for example it didn't like

sudo wget https://raw.github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/master/rpi-update -O /usr/bin/rpi-update && sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/rpi-update
It was complaining about https. At that point I ran out of time........

Texy

AidenPi

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:56 am

AidenPi wrote:
texy wrote:

Aiden
Texy

Thanks! That looks like it will work, I'll try it later when I get home.
Thats brilliant.
OK so the instructions for making the 'Y' axis work great, and now the mouse follows where my finger goes!
But now I have a new problem, double click doesn't seem to work so I can't open any programs within Raspbian! I've tried holding down over an icon or double clicking like normal with a scribe to no avail, all that happens is when I hover over an icon the icon highlights when I hover over it, but I can't do much after that.
I then plugged in a USB mouse and only the right button works!
Sorry for all the problems, I'm pretty sure once I can double click I won't have to trouble all you clever people again!

Thanks for any help.

Aiden

Collie714

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks again for this texy, appreciate all the effort and support. Everything works fine except pygame. Tried your script and a number of others and it just appears blank (or white). Set up from scratch with Noobs 1.3 and a fresh image of the latest rasbian and same situation. Everything else works fine and it displays perfectly, just pygame wont display on the LCD (no other displays attached by the way). Any ideas? Do you know of any log files I could check?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:58 am

Hi,
that is strange - are there no error messages when running the program? How are you running it exactly?
Texy

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:19 am

Instructions to get RASPBMC working with the display :
Notro has released a new version of fbtft that is currently compatible with raspbmc. Note that raspbmc does not support the touch panel, so the configuration for that is not required.

Connect your pi to your hdmi display, network, keyboard, mouse and fit the TFT display board.

Then to an SD card write a fresh raspbmc installer image - I used the Network Image (recommended), from here :

http://download.raspbmc.com/downloads/b ... ler.img.gz

Insert the SD card to the Pi, apply power and let it do it's thing whilst you 'grab a coffee'.

After it has fully installed, ssh into the pi (once you have discovered it's IP address). Log into the Pi with

password raspberry .

As this is the first time raspbmc has run, it will automatically run a setup script for localisation - select your
timezone/city.

Before running rpi-update you'll need to install the ca-certicates :

sudo apt-get install ca-certificates -y
Also git-core and binutils needs to be installed :

sudo apt-get install git-core binutils -y
Then download rpi-update :

sudo wget https://raw.github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/master/rpi-update -O /usr/bin/rpi-update && sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/rpi-update
move the old modules directory :

sudo mv /lib/modules/$(uname -r) /lib/modules/$(uname -r).bak
For reference, my kernel version before the update was :

[email protected]:~$ sudo uname -a
Linux raspbmc 3.10.15 #2 PREEMPT Sun Oct 13 20:23:42 UTC 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
[email protected]:~$
Install notro's fbtft included kernel and modules via rpi-update, then reboot :

sudo -E RPI_UPDATE_UNSUPPORTED=0 REPO_URI=https://github.com/notro/rpi-firmware BRANCH=next rpi-update
sudo reboot

For reference. my kernel version after rpi-update was :

[email protected]:~$ uname -a
Linux raspbmc 3.10.17+ #1 Fri Nov 1 17:32:19 CET 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
To load the display module modify the /etc/module file :

sudo nano /etc/modules
and add

fbtft dma
fbtft_device name=hy28a rotate=270 speed=48000000 fps=50 debug=32
If you find your display doesn't initalise correctly - ie it doesn't work, then you may need to lower the speed value. If you remove it altogether the default is 32000000

You need to get a copy of the fbcp executable file onto the pi. One quick way is to copy it onto the boot partition of the SD card using your pc/mac. If you are already familiar with transfering it over the network then use your own method.

sudo halt
Once it's shut down remove the SD card, place it into your PC/mac and copy the fbcp executable onto the boot partition.
Replace the SD into the Pi and boot up. You should see the display initialise during boot up, but the screen will remain blank at this time.

SSH back into the Pi.

You need to copy the fbcp executable from the boot partition to /usr/local/bin/ folder and make sure it is executable :

[email protected]:~$ sudo cp /boot/fbcp /usr/local/bin/
[email protected]:~$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/fbcp
then execute it as a background task :

fbcp &
At this point you should be able to see raspbmc on the display!
Search the web/forum to see how to run fbcp automatically every boot ;-)

In order to get an idea of the frame rate of the display play some video and use

dmesg
You will see lines similar too :

[  105.607187] fb_ili9320 spi0.0: Display update: 4121 kB/s (36.396 ms), fps=20 (49.982 ms)
[  105.657087] fb_ili9320 spi0.0: Display update: 4131 kB/s (36.298 ms), fps=20 (49.993 ms)
[  105.705851] fb_ili9320 spi0.0: Display update: 4278 kB/s (35.056 ms), fps=19 (50.006 ms)
which shows the frame rate to be around 20fps ;)

Note that you'll need to switch off automatic raspbmc updates and go through the procedure again if raspbmc is updated.

Texy

Khaled.M

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:03 pm

texy wrote:Instructions to get RASPBMC working with the display :
Texy
Thank you very much!!!!!! worked like a charm, the instructions are perfect!
I noticed that you can load the touch module, works perfectly and can calibrate and test, however after fbcp it does not work. I think it is related to the XBMC input.
another question, my dmesg shows the following

[  615.037799] fb_ili9320 spi0.0: Display update: 567 kB/s (264.048 ms), fps=3 (279.943 ms)
[  615.323188] fb_ili9320 spi0.0: Display update: 556 kB/s (269.328 ms), fps=3 (280.098 ms)
[  615.597034] fb_ili9320 spi0.0: Display update: 569 kB/s (263.199 ms), fps=3 (279.947 ms)
[  615.877759] fb_ili9320 spi0.0: Display update: 568 kB/s (263.819 ms), fps=3 (280.105 ms)
How can I increase the fps?

Thank You.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi,
glad it worked - remember to disable auto dates for raspbmc otherwise you'll have to start again from scratch - as I found out this morning when I rebooted my raspbmc pi :shock: .
The instructions were slightly incorrect, which should explain why your fps is too low :

fbtft dma
fbtft_device name=hy28a rotate=270 speed=48000000 fps=50 debug=32
note the extra 0.

Also, once you are satisfied that the fps is correct you should remove the debug=32 option because it will fill up the system log.

Texy

Khaled.M

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:22 pm

texy wrote:Hi,
glad it worked - remember to disable auto dates for raspbmc otherwise you'll have to start again from scratch - as I found out this morning when I rebooted my raspbmc pi :shock: .
Texy
Thanks, that solved, now fps is 20.
also I rebooted couple of times, did not need to start from scratch. or you mean if the system has been off for some time?
hopefully the touch issue would be solved soon, as I said, module can be loaded, calibrated and tested, but with fbcp it stops. :?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:31 pm

I mean if raspbmc is set to auto update, if it does, and the kernel and/or modules are changed they fbtft will be overwritten. It happened for me last night and this morning it updated when i switched it on, and I had to start again from scratch.

Tecy

bullwinkle

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:50 pm

texy wrote:Instructions to get RASPBMC working with the display :
Notro has released a new version of fbtft that is currently compatible with raspbmc. Note that raspbmc does not support the touch panel, so the configuration for that is not required.
Texy
Hi, this is interesting and I might give it a go.
Where is the sound output from ....usb? audio jack? or HDMI ?

cdlt,

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Hdmi in my case, but it depends on the raspbmc settings.
Texy

overkillah

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi Texy

i tried to use what u have post but i got stuck
You need to get a copy of the fbcp executable file onto the pi. One quick way is to copy it onto the boot partition of the SD card using your pc/mac. If you are already familiar with transfering it over the network then use your own method.

sudo halt
Where can i find that fbcp when i search as u wrote down search in forum i always ended on this page and when i google i got some bapist church something . :shock:

also
Once it's shut down remove the SD card, place it into your PC/mac and copy the fbcp executable onto the boot partition.
Replace the SD into the Pi and boot up. You should see the display initialize during boot up, but the screen will remain blank at this time.

SSH back into the Pi.
well SSH didnt work after it boot up ( went to raspberry xbmc ) i use putty and tried to log in with the same ip as xbmc has shown but it wont connect . connection refuse it said

any idea where it went wrong ??

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:36 pm

Fbcp here : http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 33#p445550
As for your ssh - the login details wouldn't of changed with the update. Password is still raspberry
Texy

AviateX14
Location: Rotherham, England, UK, Planet Earth, The Alpha Quadrant

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Can anyone tell me the exact height+width dimensions of the screen please? (Including the blue board behind it, as in, the maximum width and max height for the screen as a unit, edge to edge.)
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”