BBUK

Re: AdvMame 0.83.1 to 0.94

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks Welshy.

You are right in that I have moved to another distro for my Pi efforts - Arch as it happens. I am still, however, very much messing around with R-Pis.

And yes, again, I did mean puddings MAME4ALL!

Sorry for any confusion.

BBUK

Mamezilla

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:44 pm

Thanks Welshy and BBUK for your replies.

Update: the script has finished compiling version 0.83.1, but has stopped just as it finished installing Advmame. It did not go thru compiling and installing the other programs (Advancemenu, SDL/Dispanmx, Samba share, etc.). The script complained about a missing HDHD argument and seemed to have stopped between the end of the AdvanceMame section and the beginning of the SNESx which has been originally commented out.

I have absolutely no knowledge of shell scripting, but have checked the script and tried to understand its logic. I noticed that there where some arguments at the end of every other parts of programs to compile.

Code: Select all

fi
HDHD
fi
fi

So i've inserted these between the Advancemame and the commented out SNESx parts, have deleted all files related to the previous compile and have restarted the script to see what will happen. I've also commented out the three line that modify the source of Advancemame to use a specific version filename of advmame.rc . I have not however changed the script arguments where it add or modify lines in that specific version filename, since that file is copied at the end to the regular name of advmame.rc for compatibility reasons for Advancemenu. Logically (but might be wrong however since I have 0 experience with shell scripts), the binary won't use a specific version filename but all changes will end up in a "normal" advmame.rc at the end, so should work. Please fell free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'll see how it goes, since "I'm going fishing" with this, doing "trial and error".

Thanks

PS: BTW, Welshy: your french seems very good also !!! ;)

welshy

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:24 am

Mamezilla
If you have further problems with the script try a straight compile of AdvMAME 0.94. Change the file as described -
vfb.c (it is in the Folder: /advance/linux)
Change the following line - (it’s approximately ¾ of the way down the page)
From
MAP_SHARED I MAP_FIXED
To
MAP_SHARED,
save/close

Then follow my old/original 'Guide'
Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=22403
(I wasn't happy with some of the changes they made in the MagPi, it made it seem more impenetrable for Linux 'newbies')

It will compile on a 256MEG RPi without using any 'swap' files

But in the advmame.rc do change
From: display_artwork_backdrop yes To: display_artwork_backdrop no
From: display_artwork_overlay yes To: display_artwork_overlay no
Its a quick 'Fix' to prevent ‘mirror’ projected games like Space Invaders failing to display correctly without the need for major changes to compiling Scripts

I also did a list of some of the games which run 'Fullspeed' in AdvMAME, with the required revisions of ROM
Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=29427
If using 0.94 add these to the list (from yet another post!)

On further testing with AdvMAME 0.94, here are some additions that I’m happy to sign off as “Fullspeed” although I have marked with an Asterisk Games that have issues/sound problems but play acceptably

KEY - GAMEMAME, MAME FILE CODE, REVISION, SAMPLES REQUIRED
Cloak & Dagger, cloak, rev 5, No
Galaga, galaga, Namco rev B, No
Gauntlet, gauntlet, rev 14, No
Golden Axe*, goldnaxe, set 6, No
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, indytemp, set 1, No
Marble Madness, marble, set 1, No
Paperboy*, paperboy, rev 3, No
Phoenix , phoenix, Amstar, No
Space Invaders, invaders, N/A, Yes
Street fighter II*, sf2, World 910522, No
Strider* , strider, US set 1, No
Tempest, tempest, rev 3, No
Vigilante, vigilant, World, No

An AdvMENU Guide is
Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=23431
And an AdvMESS one
Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=23113

Oh, BTW, use This Wheezy Image http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/down ... -raspbian/
From 2013-05-25 onwards there is a firmware BUG that causes a 'sound delay' in Stella and pcm_underrun in others resulting in lowered FPS rendering (Pcsx_ReARMed is reduced by 10-15 FPS). There is now a 'Fix' though, see
Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=57035
Or you could use the newest Wheezy Image and apply the 'Fix' (although I haven't tried to compile it with this Image)

PS: BTW, Welshy: your french seems very good also !!! ;)
I wish! I cheated with an online translator!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Mamezilla

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks for all the infos, Welshy.

My latest 0.83.1 got thru, but it complained at the same place about the fi argument, so Advmenu,Dispanmx and the rest did not compile. Also, both version specific and regular advmame.rc files are almost empty. So I guess it ain't worth the trouble like you said earlier. I'll try as you suggest a straight compile of 0.94 with the latest Raspian distro.

Merci beaucoup ;)

Mamezilla

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Well, tried 2 times yesterday, using a fresh OS, to straight compile 0.94 using Welshy's instructions. Did everything before starting the compile (apt-get update + upgrade, setting GPU to 16, installing libsdl-1.2 and gcc-4.7, changed the appropriate line in advance/Linux/vfb.c, etc.) and both times, it stopped while trying to compile sh2.o because of an unrecognizable insn. Have taken a pic of the screen:
http://i.imgur.com/rpE5gSG.jpg

I really don't understand now, since I've followed exactly all the steps. Any ideas ?

welshy

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:58 pm

Mamezilla
Yes, I know EXACTLY what the problem is! Check the compiler error, you are still using the 4.6 compiler! You have to change over to 4.7 (the default 4.6 is still there and will 'default' on Build).

Change over to the 4.7 Compiler -
export CC=gcc-4.7
export GCC=g++-4.7
Then configure & make

That should fix the issue! It does explain this in the instructions!
Last edited by welshy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mamezilla

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:03 pm

Hello Welshy,
I don't understand, because I did install the gcc-4.7 and did the export CC=gcc-4.7 and export GCC=g++-4.7 before starting the compile both times. I noticed too the message in regard on the 4.6 bug submitting. Maybe somehow both export commands did not go thru...

welshy

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Mamezilla
Yes, but the command line on exit confirms you are not compiling as ROOT (Super User), so it wont have worked.

Linux: ROOT = Windows: Administrator

It also explains this in my original 'Guide'

Mamezilla

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:26 pm

OK, well here goes one more time...
I've started a new compile, this time from root. Erased all files from the previous time. Done the mod on vfb.c and export CC=gcc-4.7 and export GCC=g++-4.7 before. When I did the ./configure, it mentioned the CC was indeed 4.7; see this pic:
http://i.imgur.com/c0h40hY.jpg

Hopefully, it will go thru this time.

Thaks very much Welshy for your time and the explanations !
Cheers

welshy

Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Mamezilla
Looking Good! Let me know how it goes! Using 'sudo' is a half way house to force a 'normal' user to a 'super' user (root) command, but I have found it doesn't always work (this is one instance).

Return to “Gaming”