elaverick

Re: Deploying Images to SD Card

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:44 pm

This may have been thought of before, but I notice that there seems to be a degree of concern over getting a bootable system onto SD cards.

PiCard looks like a step in the right direction, but being Linux only may be a barrier to entry for some less technically minded users, and it only supports a limited number of OS's at present.

I was wondering if anyone had considered using this - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Win32DiskImager

Provided some one is able to capture existing deployments and post the IMG's this seems like quite a good Windows based method of getting ready-to-go images out there for non-technical users.

roelfrenkema

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:56 pm

I still think dd is the way to go and for windows junkies there is

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windd/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:07 pm

elaverick said:

This may have been thought of before, but I notice that there seems to be a degree of concern over getting a bootable system onto SD cards.

PiCard looks like a step in the right direction, but being Linux only may be a barrier to entry for some less technically minded users, and it only supports a limited number of OS's at present.

I was wondering if anyone had considered using this - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Win32DiskImager

Provided some one is able to capture existing deployments and post the IMG's this seems like quite a good Windows based method of getting ready-to-go images out there for non-technical users.

That's what I use internally at Broadcom when using a windows OS.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

hyena

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:16 pm

theres a great usb imaging application the plug computer hacking scene use (ive hacked a few of these devices and use it regularly) to backup, restore and disseminate live distro images

its free and called usb image tool

http://www.alexpage.de/

seems to work just fine with sd cards in a usb card reader .. though i cant say ive tried it in the pi

remember though to compress your disk images though (i use winrar) and theres a lot of sparcity in the disk image (my 4GB disk image RAR's down to 500k) .. it will make it easier to disseminate

hope it helps

grumpyoldgit

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Couldn't the Startup Disk Creator that comes with Ubuntu be used. Clearly it is normally used to copy the image of a Startup but it seems quite flexible. Just a matter of pointing to the image you want copied to the stick or card. I used it yesterday to set up a new box.

I'll get my coat ready now in case I've said something silly.

elaverick

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 pm

roelfrenkema said:

I still think dd is the way to go and for windows junkies there is

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windd/

I've used a windows port of DD when I was doing some kernel development a few years ago but while it is very powerful, it's not exactly user friendly.

Tass

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi guys

I'm moving to this thread from the "Download available" thread as this seems more appropriate.  I'm having trouble getting the image applied to my SD card.

I have:

-  4GB Kingston Class 4 SD card

-  Windows 7 with SD card slot (Ubuntu machine doesn't have card slot)

-  WinDD

-  Win32DiskImager

-  USBIt

I have the following problems:

-  Using WinDD detects the SD card, can select it as the Destination, but I can't see how to select the image as the Source (only whole partitions)

-  Using Win32DiskImager I can select the imag, can generate an MD5 hash, but can't see the card in the device drop down list (nothing displaying there)

-  Using USBIt it all appears to work, but Windows can't read the card afterwards (I understand I should be able to see the 1st partition?).  Using Computer Manager I can see the card and can see a 3.69GB RAW partition.

Liam Fraser's mentioned he'll be making a WinDD video tutorial at some point this week, but it's much more fun this way

Any ideas?

S0litaire

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

Couldn"t the Startup Disk Creator that comes with Ubuntu be used. Clearly it is normally used to copy the image of a Startup but it seems quite flexible. Just a matter of pointing to the image you want copied to the stick or card. I used it yesterday to set up a new box.

I"ll get my coat ready now in case I"ve said something silly.

Lol. not too silly but I think the tool that comes with Ubuntu checks for an Ubuntu image first. If it does not find one it fails.

I'm currently trying it with "UNetBootin" to see if it can handle the .img file and extract it to the Card.

Nope! dosn't work! think we're stuck with dd commands ^_^
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

digital_addict

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 pm

Not tried this (windows machine acting up)

http://www.imgtoiso.com/

Is a .img to .iso file converter, UNetBooting or Pendrivelinux (Easy 123 for other linux) should be happier with an iso. Other converters may be available, and it looks like freeware.

Tass

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Interestingly, I've had some luck with Win32DiskImager.

I've found that when I launch it with certains cards loaded, I never get a promps (4GB Kingston SD, 2GB Sandisk MicroSD), but with other disks I sometimes get my device listed (32GB Sandisk MicroSD - 1 out of 10 attempts).

At this point I'm putting it down to my laptop, but it could just be that Win32DiskImager is just a little temperamental...

Tass

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:33 pm

27th time's a charm!!

computerwizzz

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:16 am

Maybe its just me, but if there is a /boot from usb device option on start up, couldn't people just boot windows from a usb? or just get a 16-32gb sd card and flash windows using win32disk imager or windd as stated above. i can't wait for this release! i am going to get a few of them, unfortunately i believe there will be a limit per house hold when they first comes out

khulat

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:44 am

Windows will never run on a Raspberry Pi. That has nothing to do with Storage limitations. Windows runs on the x86 Processor Architecture, and the Pi uses an Arm Processor. You could have found this information in the FAQ.

geeday

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 am

I seemingly had some success with the debian iso and Win32DiskImager.

Is there away of verifying what I did will be of any use with the Pi. I can see 10 file when browsing via Windows Explorer, but I doubt this is of much help?

Tass

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:15 pm

geeday said:

Is there away of verifying what I did will be of any use with the Pi. I can see 10 file when browsing via Windows Explorer, but I doubt this is of much help?

I think that's a fair amount of help.  From what I understand the image contains 2 partitions - an 80MB partition that Windows will see and a 1.8GB-odd partition for the rest (maybe multiples for swap, etc) that Windows won't see.

The fact that you have an 80MB partition with a bunch of files (taking up 46MB I think?) sounds like it's created the partition structure correctly.

Well, that's what mine show too, so *hopefully* a good sign

Hairlocks

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Judging by the amount of problems this (simple) linux task is giving the Windows users (geeks at that an not complete novices) I think the Raspbeery foundation needs to find a way to get a Windows apps to automate the entire process easily (for its target market). I would guess a app like "UNetBootin" would be good with the option of provide the downloaded image.

geeday

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Tass: I have 27.4MB used (10 files of various types) including 2 images out of what Windows thinks it can see which is 78e6 bytes

Hairlocks: I am hearing you, but using Win32DiskImager.exe was pretty fool proof I thought:

download and unzip iso.

plugin SD card (can you see it in windows explorer?)

open the Win32DiskImager.exe

pick drive letter on top RHS

browser for the iso and click write.

Out of interest I made sure I bought an SD card on the recommended list. The card reader I have is very cheap and it still worked. This is on XP.

Liz: when are they on sale (only kidding)!!

Tass

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Sorry, my bad – 27.4MB USED, 46.9MB FREE.

10 files in total, as shown here:

Edit: Link to file rather than paste image in

caulktel

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:44 pm

This might be a stupid question but, what happens if you "DD" the 2gig image to a 4 gig card? Should you partition the card to have a 2 gig partition or will the DD process do that for you. Frankly, I could not find any 2 gig sd cards at my local Wal-Mart.

geeday

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:02 pm

my card is 8Gig. the software formatted 3 partitions as required (1 readable by windows, 2 not). the last 5.6GB is left unformatted and ready for data (music, video, python scripts etc). i will prob format this using the Pi in a format that someone will suggest.....

caulktel

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks, that's just what I wanted to know.

PS the math problems keep getting tougher, I may have to take my shoes off soon.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:47 am

Hi guys;

I've put a post on my blog about this if it is any help to anyone.

Thanks

Dave

Return to “General discussion”