rdb

Re: NOOBS v1.3 Beta testers feedback

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:48 am

I'm pleased to say that the v1.3 release has now gone gold (see http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4959#comments). Thanks again to everyone for helping test.

As far as I'm aware there are only the following minor known issues (most of which are possible improvements rather than bugs):
- The data partition can be installed as the only OS option
- The data partition has the os_config.json and config.txt files copied into it on install
- Pidora & RISC OS need updated releases (not our jurisdiction as we are dependant on the OS maintainers for this). Note that we'll push this out as an online option once we receive updated releases from the respective teams.
- Some slides are poorly written / contain typos (this is again up to the OS maintainers rather than us and will be pushed out as an online update).

We're currently having some issues with the automated deployment scripts used to generate /downloads which is why NOOBS lite is not yet listed (and the SHA1-sum is missing). Hopefully this should be fixed within the next 24 hours.

Any new bugs/issues please submit to GitHub as usual.

Thanks again for all your help.

Best Regards,

Rob

Joe Schmoe

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:30 am

To clarify, are you saying that the 9/23 version is the "gone gold" version, or is there a newer version than that?

I.e., if we are running the 9/23 version, do we need to "upgrade" (again) or are we "gold" ?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

rdb

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:To clarify, are you saying that the 9/23 version is the "gone gold" version, or is there a newer version than that?

I.e., if we are running the 9/23 version, do we need to "upgrade" (again) or are we "gold" ?
The only change is that the non-lite version now includes the updated Raspbian release.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:53 pm

The only change is that the non-lite version now includes the updated Raspbian release.
OKfine. Then I'm good to go!
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

More Pi Please

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:27 pm

About disabling the splash screen.

The instructions state:

" Add a text file named autoboot.txt to the root directory of NOOBS.

Add boot_partition=<partition number> to the file and save it to disk."

I've only installed Raspbian.

What's the easiest way to find the partition number I want to boot to?

And what would an example line look like?

boot_partition=<p5>?

Thanks for any help : )

rdb

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:40 pm

More Pi Please wrote:About disabling the splash screen.

The instructions state:

boot_partition=<p5>?

Thanks for any help : )
To find the partition number for Raspbian's boot partition, you can look at the /boot entry in /etc/fstab (e.g. /dev/mmcblk0pX where X is the partition number).

Then add boot_partition=X to autoboot.txt to boot straight into Raspbian.

More Pi Please

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:27 pm

rdb wrote:

The instructions state:

boot_partition=<p5>?

Thanks for any mhelp : )
To find the partition number for Raspbian's boot partition, you can look at the /boot entry in /etc/fstab (e.g. /dev/mmcblk0pX where X is the partition number).

Thank you very much!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4959#comment-255171

Do I lose any of the 'Noobs SD card stability' when I boot directly into a fixed partition?

I'm mainly interested in the most SD card stability I can get. Having had to just reformat yet another time this morning from a corrupt card : (

rdb

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:35 pm

More Pi Please wrote:
rdb wrote:

The instructions state:

boot_partition=<p5>?

Thanks for any mhelp : )

Thank you very much!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4959#comment-255171

Do I lose any of the 'Noobs SD card stability' when I boot directly into a fixed partition?

I'm mainly interested in the most SD card stability I can get. Having had to just reformat yet another time this morning from a corrupt card : (
No.

More Pi Please

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:50 pm

I have been taking the SD card out of the Pi and onto my computer just to place the autoboot.txt file in the Noobs root directory.

Is there a way to put/create it via SSH :?:

rdb

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:53 pm

More Pi Please wrote:I have been taking the SD card out of the Pi and onto my computer just to place the autoboot.txt file in the Noobs root directory.

No but you can do it via serial.

More Pi Please

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:51 pm

rdb wrote:
More Pi Please wrote:I have been taking the SD card out of the Pi and onto my computer just to place the autoboot.txt file in the Noobs root directory.

That's too bad :cry:

Then let me ask 2 questions:

I've made a few noobs cards since yesterday. I only put Raspbian on them. Each time they were on partition 5.

Will it always be partition 5 for the autoboot.txt if only one OS/Raspbian is installed?

After I format a card, and place the Noobs files on it. Can I also include the boot_partition=5 autoboot.txt file at that time as well?

That would be before any OS is installed.

Would that be ok? Or cause complications?

Thank you for all your help :)

rdb

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:24 pm

More Pi Please wrote:
rdb wrote:

That's too bad :cry:

Then let me ask 2 questions:

I've made a few noobs cards since yesterday. I only put Raspbian on them. Each time they were on partition 5.

Will it always be partition 5 for the autoboot.txt if only one OS/Raspbian is installed?

After I format a card, and place the Noobs files on it. Can I also include the boot_partition=5 autoboot.txt file at that time as well?

That would be before any OS is installed.

Would that be ok? Or cause complications?

Thank you for all your help :)
It will always be partition 5 if it's the only OS installed.

Autoboot.txt will override NOOBS so cannot be added before first boot.

Mortimer

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:27 pm

For what it is worth I have a couple of observations about NOOBS 1.3:

(1) One of my Raspberry Pis is used attached to a Atrix 4G lapdock. This has worked faultlessly until recently. The first problems started occuring with the existing installation of Debian after the last firmware update in rpi-update. This broke the keyboard, which wouldn't work properly at all, and lead to me downloading NOOBS 1.3 to give that a whirl. I found that the NOOBS 1.3 initial boot would not work, unless I removed the wifi dongle from the back of the lapdock, and plug power into the µUSB power inlet. Without doing this, it would eventually get to the OS installation menu, and refuse to recognise any input from the lapdock keyboard. After the OS has been installed I get go back to powering the RPi through the USB connection from the lapdock and reinsert the wifi dongle. I have never had to do this before.

(2) The progress indicator is really poor. My first attempt, I thought I would try installing RaspBMC and Raspbian onto the card. The progress indicator comes up, and didn't do anything for several minutes. I gave up, rebooted and tried just Raspbian. I found the installation markedly slower than the previous NOOBS build I tried. The pause before the progress indicator started moving was somewhat shorter, but I wonder if this is because it simply picked up from where it had got to the first time. I got another SD-card and set this one to do RaspBMC and left the thing alone for a while. The pause before any progress is being indicating is for some sort of SD-card preparation, which is very lengthy, especially for the 32GB Samsung SD-cards I am using nowadays. It seems that this activity should be including in the progress bar, as it is a significant portion of the overall installation time.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

AndrewS

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:41 pm

Mortimer wrote:(2) The progress indicator is really poor. My first attempt, I thought I would try installing RaspBMC and Raspbian onto the card. The progress indicator comes up, and didn't do anything for several minutes. I gave up, rebooted and tried just Raspbian. I found the installation markedly slower than the previous NOOBS build I tried. The pause before the progress indicator started moving was somewhat shorter, but I wonder if this is because it simply picked up from where it had got to the first time. I got another SD-card and set this one to do RaspBMC and left the thing alone for a while. The pause before any progress is being indicating is for some sort of SD-card preparation, which is very lengthy, especially for the 32GB Samsung SD-cards I am using nowadays. It seems that this activity should be including in the progress bar, as it is a significant portion of the overall installation time.
This part is because of a bug I've already filed, which only affects RaspBMC https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/issues/108
The "big pause" is when formatting the multi-gigabyte (!) boot partition to FAT32. If/when the bug gets fixed, the boot partition ends up at 80MB, which is much much quicker to format :)

samighi11

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Mortimer wrote:For what it is worth I have a couple of observations about NOOBS 1.3:

(1) One of my Raspberry Pis is used attached to a Atrix 4G lapdock. This has worked faultlessly until recently. The first problems started occuring with the existing installation of Debian after the last firmware update in rpi-update. This broke the keyboard, which wouldn't work properly at all, and lead to me downloading NOOBS 1.3 to give that a whirl. I found that the NOOBS 1.3 initial boot would not work, unless I removed the wifi dongle from the back of the lapdock, and plug power into the µUSB power inlet. Without doing this, it would eventually get to the OS installation menu, and refuse to recognise any input from the lapdock keyboard. After the OS has been installed I get go back to powering the RPi through the USB connection from the lapdock and reinsert the wifi dongle. I have never had to do this before.

(2) The progress indicator is really poor. My first attempt, I thought I would try installing RaspBMC and Raspbian onto the card. The progress indicator comes up, and didn't do anything for several minutes. I gave up, rebooted and tried just Raspbian. I found the installation markedly slower than the previous NOOBS build I tried. The pause before the progress indicator started moving was somewhat shorter, but I wonder if this is because it simply picked up from where it had got to the first time. I got another SD-card and set this one to do RaspBMC and left the thing alone for a while. The pause before any progress is being indicating is for some sort of SD-card preparation, which is very lengthy, especially for the 32GB Samsung SD-cards I am using nowadays. It seems that this activity should be including in the progress bar, as it is a significant portion of the overall installation time.
for the record can you provide previous firmware # and the current one you are using? I am about to invest heavily in the Atrix stuff and don't want things to break.

Return to “General discussion”