GerdMuschke

any OS with Adobe AIR or Flash support for monitoring?

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Hello Raspberry Pi community.

I am looking for an OS that has support for Adobe AIR or Adobe Flash.

I dont want to watch videos, but there is a traffic monitoring site that needs Adobe FlashPlayer or AIR, or just Android because there already is an app for Android too.

I just want to use my Raspberry B just to bring the traffic site on my monitor for 24/7/365, like a "monitoring Rasp".

It would be awesome if any one does know an OS that would work for me.

Thank you very much!

Best regards and have a nice weekend,

Gerd

itimpi

Re: any OS with Adobe AIR or Flash support for monitoring?

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Unfortunately no OS on the Pi supports Flash. Flash is closed source and Adobe (who own Flash) have never produced a version that will run on the ARM processor used by the Pi.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:29 pm

In addition, I think Adobe are deprecating flash on all platforms (although its going to take a while to flush it out of the system!). Certainly its gone from Android, was never on Apple kit, and only works on x86 Linux with no hope of other architecture support.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

GerdMuschke

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks for the comment from the community. You guys already own a RaspB and have experience.
I already heard about it there is no native Flash support. Only with Gnash, someones reported that it works (Gnash, Browser-plugin-Gnash), at least for youtube.
I tried to expermient with a Qemu RaspB emulation but it works poor and even I installed a Gnash...my prefered traffic site didnt work and still requested to install Adobe Flash Player.
My hope was that there is any Linux OS for the RaspB that works with Adobes Flash or AIR.
But I agree with you, my fault, I thought it is an OS problem, but it is a Chip problem. So Adobe does not support the ARM that the Pi uses.
That`s a pitty.

Thank you very much for your support.

I still will have a look on the RaspB projects and my soon there is projects that kicks me and I will become a RaspB too.

Have a nice weekend.

Gerd

LemmeFatale

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:58 pm

jamesh wrote:and only works on x86 Linux with no hope of other architecture support.
Yep. They only briefly supported ARM Linux at all, and even then it was only ARMv7 and no others, and they never really did much with it or gave it the general release that seemed to be a given when it was announced.
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

redhawk

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

It's just as well Flash is getting deprecating I never did like Adobe's implementation or the fact their video playback support is so pathetic when compared to the likes of VLC or XBMC.
I can quite happily watch h.264 720p HD videos with VLC but even YouTube is a bloody eyesore at 360p with dropped frames just because my graphics card does support hardware h.264 decoding.

Richard S.

Heater

Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:56 am

Luckily for us FLASH and friends will never be coming to the Pi.

The problem is not with the processor or the OS. The problem is with FLASH.

It's a closed source program whose authors do not want to port it to other processors/operating systems and in fact are trying to kill it off altogether themselves.

So, like many (all) pieces of proprietary software before it, they can be fun but if you depend on it you are screwed eventually.

AndrewS

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:55 am

Heater wrote:Luckily for us FLASH and friends will never be coming to the Pi.
It's a closed source program whose authors do not want to port it to other processors/operating systems and in fact are trying to kill it off altogether themselves.
Hmmm? Every time there's a Flash Player update to install on my Windows laptop, it boasts about how Flash is used by so many online games...?

Heater

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:05 am

AndrewS,

That is true. And what I said is true as well.

zealan

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:14 pm

If Rasb Pi supports Android OS and therefore I assume it supports the installation of APK files, right?
As it is possible to compile a Flash project into APK ( which is basically a bundled Flashplayer/AIR virtual-machine with SWF file in it ), would this work? Does this makes sense?

jamesh

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:25 pm

The Raspi does not run Android.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

redhawk

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Android or no Android Adobe AIR / Flash Player requires a minimum ARMv7 processor the Pi is ARMv6 and not supported.

Richard S.

Return to “General discussion”