jfeeney

Re: Help with Windd for complete Linux nubie

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:26 am

I did search the forums to see if someone else has asked for some advice on using Windd. I wasn't able to find very much, so I am going to ask.

I only have Windows 7 computers. The RPi will be my first Linux machine and I am looking forward to working with it. I have spent the weekend thumbing through Linux Bibile 2009 edition that I got from the local library.

I have downloaded the debian from the Raspberry download page as a zip file. I have unzipped it to a USB thumb drive. On the drive are two files -- a disc image file and a SHA1 file.

I have downloaded windd (dd.exe) as suggestion on the Raspberry download site. From reading on the forums I renamed dd.exe to dd-removable.exe so that I would not accidentally crash my window 7 hard drive.

On my computer I have a usb port with the disc image files on the thumb drive. Call this windows drive f:

I am going to put a blank SD card into my SD reader. Call this windows drive g:

Assume that I open a "Command Prompt" window and at C:\Windd I can see the file dd-removable.exe (ie c:\Windd\dd-removable.exe)

What command line would I put in to copy the disc image file from the usb to the blank SD card?

Thanks, John

What command do

PhilT

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:46 am

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

command structure is illustrated with examples at the bottom of the page

drgeoff

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:51 am

jfeeney said:

I have downloaded windd (dd.exe) as suggestion on the Raspberry download site. From reading on the forums I renamed dd.exe to dd-removable.exe so that I would not accidentally crash my window 7 hard drive.

On my computer I have a usb port with the disc image files on the thumb drive. Call this windows drive f:

I am going to put a blank SD card into my SD reader. Call this windows drive g:

Assume that I open a "Command Prompt" window and at C:\Windd I can see the file dd-removable.exe (ie c:\Windd\dd-removable.exe)

What command line would I put in to copy the disc image file from the usb to the blank SD card?

Thanks, John

What command do

The WinDD.zip file from sourceforge has a "readme" file called WinDD.htm. Have a look at it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Vindicator

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:51 am

Look at this forum 's post

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....to-sd-card

Do not have any win 7 machines but suggest you might have to run program in compatibility mode if you have a version that supports compatibility mode (7 pro or ultimate I think) and check the administrator box.(maybe again no 7 machines).

It worked easily on my Win Vista Ultimate machine and I tried it on a Ubuntu machine and it reads and shows as bootable MBR.

I have played with Linux distros for years but find the techy approach that seems to fulfill the users of such OS's to be the main hurdle why Linux has not conquered the world yet. ( wouldn't even try to get my Mom to use Linux as she can barely handle Windows)

I have never used a Linux machine at any place I have ever worked and this might be why.

I love Linux but sometimes it's interaction with novices is to much to ingest just to do simple things they find in windows.( and I still consider myself a novice (even though I have 2 machines using different distros of Linux) as it will probably never be my main OS because of the work issue) IMHO

Win-dd for me had nothing but issues finding my cards in the readers etc. win32imager found them and performed the task right away.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

error404

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 am

Physdiskwrite used for m0n0wall/pfSense should work also: http://m0n0.ch/wall/physdiskwrite.php

I find this works better on Windows than ports of dd.

jfeeney

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:36 pm

I played around with trying to transfer from usb to SD card and got an error.

The SD card is a Kodak 4GB out of a digital camera. I found some specs that say it is class 6. Also the Kodak card does have some propretory software on it that does an Kodak Easyshare when you pop it into a windows machine...But I figured that Windd would just overwrite and format the SD card as necessary.

Here is a copy and paste of my Terminal error. At the end it shows the error. Also, maybe some can comment if the commands that I am using are correct.

Note that on my windows computer the debian image is on an usb in drive g:\ and the SD card is drive f:\

The usb is a 8GB and shows and Harddisk1 by windd. The SD card is 4GB and shows as Harddisk2 in Windd

I should also note that after trying the below command I think I got one new folder on the SD card called System. However, this folder is empty.

My Command Prompt Window screenshot:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\John>cd \

C:\>cd Program Files

C:\Program Files>cd Windd

C:\Program Files\WinDD>dd-removable --list

rawwrite dd for windows version 0.6beta3.

Written by John Newbigin <jn@it.swin.edu.au>

This program is covered by terms of the GPL Version 2.

NT Block Device Objects

\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0

link to \\?\Device\Harddisk1\DR2

Removable media other than floppy. Block size = 512

size is 8019509248 bytes

\\?\Device\Harddisk2\Partition0

link to \\?\Device\Harddisk2\SR0

Removable media other than floppy. Block size = 512

size is 4008706048 bytes

C:\Program Files\WinDD>dd-removable if=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 of=\\?\De

vice\Harddisk2\Partition0 --size --progress

rawwrite dd for windows version 0.6beta3.

Written by John Newbigin <jn@it.swin.edu.au>

This program is covered by terms of the GPL Version 2.

4,194,816 Error writing file: 5 Access is denied

8194+0 records in

8193+0 records out

C:\Program Files\WinDD>

error404

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:49 pm

You need to run your command prompt as administrator.

Edwin

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 pm

I had that problem. What I did (voodoo taken from here ):

Using an administrator command prompt:

diskpart

list disk

select disk 1 (WARNING: The number you enter here must be the disk number of the SD card that "list disk" told you. Unlike dd-removable, it will not stop you overwriting an important disk if you get this wrong)

clean

create partition primary

active

clean

exit

then run dd-removable again

jfeeney

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:46 pm

So, I tried again. I ran my command prompt window  -- run as Administrator

I got the exact same results.

I should also note that I am not getting a folder called System....It must have been on the SD card from a previous time....

So, I get the same error as above an not new folders are being created on the SD card

John

secretreeve

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:47 pm

see if this helps you out at all.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....ide#p43174

started that thread after reading your plight. might proove succesful

error404

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:06 am

I would try physdiskwrite as I linked to above. I've had nothing but problems with Windows ports of dd.

Or you could just boot a live CD...

Return to “General discussion”