Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:38 am

some issues with openelec 3.0.6
reboot button only works the second time
poweroff doesnt work at all

bucker

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:19 am

Anyone knows an easy way to backup the entire SD card with berryboot and all OS installed on it?
Winning is for losers.

Pi Zero W (inside a Pikachu case ;) ) with DietPi running Sonarr,Couchpotato,Pi-hole,Pi-VPN
Pi B running Home Assistant
Pi 2B & HiFiBerry DAC+ running Volumio OS
Pi 3B (inside a genesis case 8-) ) running RetroPie
--

andPS2

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:25 am

under unix u can do a full sd card backup 1:1

dd if=/dev/sdd2 of=/sdcard-backup/berryboot.img bs=1M

u have to adjust the path of the sd card and where to write it too

n00b

Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi,
just crashed my filesystem - kind of expected - and therfore did a backup with the berryboot menu. Now I wanted to recover it, and follow the instructions "Backups of individual images can be restored by holding down the “add OS” button and selecting “copy OS from USB stick”" - but after that I am confused. it shows sda1 and sda2. In sda1 there are some .img files, but none is in the right format for berryboot. In sda2 is a folder "images" with a useable .img file. I thought bingo, but after recovering there was no bingo anymore, since it was the original version with none of my changes. There is a folder "data" that seems to have all the recent files of my backuped system, but I don't know how to put that back on the sd and get it runnig again. Apart from that there are also folders "lost&found" "shared" and "temp" under sda2 with no useful content (it seems to me).
I would very much appreciate any help, sorry for my english (at least my understanding is better than my writing).
Boris (very fascinated, but very new to unix and all that...)

andPS2

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:59 am

the issues with openelec 3.0.6 are fixed in openelec 3.1.3

dylanh724

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:54 am

Max wrote:
kurtdcobain wrote: thanks, instead for turbo mode?
If you know what you are doing, you can edit config.txt manually.
If not, do not overclock.
Significantly increases risk of SD card corruption.
and for expanding raspbian to fill my sd?
Berryboot always formats the entire SD card during installation. So there is no spare space left to expand to.
This did not answer the question in regards to overclocking options .. well aware of risks.

I usually use the GUI for overclocking options, but simply don't know how to do it with config.txt, especially with the new turbo mode.

1) With all risk assumed, what do I add to config.txt in berryboot editor to overclock to the new Turbo mode?
2) If I use the GUI to set overclocking options within an OS by choosing via berryboot, will these options save, or do I specifically have to edit the config.txt in berryboot?

Thanks!!

Mr_LinDowsMac

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:30 am

I also want to know if there is no problem if i set overclocking from the raspi-config after booting. Or I have to manually set it up from the berryboot GUI?

dylanh724

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:27 pm

So much spam on this thread -- I looked through so many pages to see people just avoid the question completely and say "not recommended". Why even respond if you are not going to help the OP? How about "not recommended, BUT this is how assuming you understand which is probably the reason why you posted this in the first place..." O__o anyone have an answer to this?

mrpi64

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:41 am

Allmost 10000 views.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

xneo1

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 am

I am using berryboot for a long period,having setup tightvnc,hamachi,webserver and everything works.
Now I bought the camera module and on Raspbian I do the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update
sudo raspi-config

It cannot enable the camera!

On a fresh Raspbian sdcard it works.The thing is that I have setup everything on Raspbian
on berryboot and don't want to make an sd only for Raspbian.

Can anyone help on setting up the camera module on Raspbian on Berryboot?
Another thread here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 6&p=362647
shows that the user has the same problem but with no answer

Please help

Axilot

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:08 am

From what I understand rpi-update won't work with berryboot because it use it's own firmware,
you have to wait new release of berryboot.

Axilot

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi
I tried to make an image of IPfire (in order to use raspberry as a 3g router) for berryboot as usual but it don't start, anyone have succesfully tested it?

Skedone

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:10 pm

How long is the saving boot file to memory spose to take because it's been about 20 mins now ?

Skedone

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:08 am

Don't worry I dd the img instead . Is the loader dead/ not receiving updates any more ?

ilovemipi

Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:04 am

I thought there was a version 2.0 thread running but I can't seem to find it.

I have followed the instructions to create a squashfs image at http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/b ... tributions and added it to Berryboot OS menu. The image seems to run fine (XBMC over 3G, Win3.1 etc) but when it boots up it gives a warning of mount point '/squashfs' does not exist, skipping mount.

The warning doesn't seem to be a problem but I just wondered if I should have created a /squashfs mount point when I created the squashfs image?

Also is there a way to reboot berryboot from the shell when the SD card fails rather than just powering off the Pi i.e. is there a shell command like reboot, shutdown, poweroff etc (preferably not reboot if the SD card is failing)?

I did find fsck.ext4 -yf /dev/mmcblk0p2 at the shell as advised at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=33660 does help when the SD card fails.

beniroquai

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:05 pm

Hello. Is there a known issue with hfsplus support together with Berryboot? Although I've all dependecies installed I'm always getting an error: "filesystem unknown: hfsplus".

skupu

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:34 am

Hi!

Anyone tried to add RPiTC or Geexbox to NOOBS or berryboot?

I think it's handy to have all distros needed on one card.

I keep on trying, but there are problems:

For berryboot it is SquashFS oprimized img file - after doing the procedure described here it tells me it is not optimized!

For NOOBS correct tar.xz partition files and proper partitions.json file - after successfull installation it drops to kdb due to some fs problems.

I'm not so deep in Linux, so it's a little hard for me to solve above mentioned.

I know it might be wrong forum but maybe someone will find my idea usefull and help me...

Axilot

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:45 pm

But it's possible to update to berryboot 2.0 without reinstall all os?
I remember that I was able to upgrade directly from berryboot before but I can find for the new v2.0 in the menù.

mcdudeabides

Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:52 am

Hello. I've stumbled across berryboot while searching for a solution to update Linux on a RPI in an awkward location (very difficult to retrieve SD card for updates). I'm hoping to be able to load a new, untested, image from the currently running image on the RPI and then have it boot once with the new image. If it fails, then I need a parachute to come back to the last known good.

I'm trying to follow the tutorial steps to add a custom OS. I'm building it on the RPi using the Raspbian image provided with berryboot. When applying kpartx to the img file I get the following error:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~$ sudo kpartx -av piCore-5.3alpha1-SSH.img
add map loop1p1 (254:0): 0 40960 linear /dev/loop1 2048
device-mapper: resume ioctl on loop1p2 failed: Invalid argument
create/reload failed on loop1p2
add map loop1p2 (0:0): 0 15680 linear /dev/loop1 43008
Thinking that only the second section was needed, I did try "sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop1p2 /mnt", but the special device did not exist.

Tiny Core is a very frugal approach and uses some slightly unorthodox approach to work. I think I can get the boot image directly (not sure if it is SFS). I'm in well over my head here and it seems that the tutorial steps may not apply directly in this case. Is there any advice on how to proceed? Thanks for any assistance and tolerance as I educate myself.

kaineanung

Fri May 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Hello,
I have a problem:

I downloaded an Raspbmc-Image and made the steps to convert it manually to squashfs.
Now the new image is on an USB-Stick (with some other files on it) and when I boot with berryboot to install manually the image on the USB-Stick I can't find the Image! The stick seems to be empty when I wan't to choose the installation-img to install it!

The USB-Stick is for Windows-use, should it be formatted in a special Filesystem type?
My Linux (vmware) recorgnize the stick without a problem and copied the image to it.

Thanks a lot for helping me!

ilovemipi

Fri May 23, 2014 1:51 pm

kaineanung wrote:Hello,
I have a problem:

I downloaded an Raspbmc-Image and made the steps to convert it manually to squashfs.
Now the new image is on an USB-Stick (with some other files on it) and when I boot with berryboot to install manually the image on the USB-Stick I can't find the Image! The stick seems to be empty when I wan't to choose the installation-img to install it!

The USB-Stick is for Windows-use, should it be formatted in a special Filesystem type?
My Linux (vmware) recorgnize the stick without a problem and copied the image to it.

Thanks a lot for helping me!
Windows sees a limited number of filesystems and it doesn't include squashfs. It doesn't mean the image is not on your USB stick though.

kaineanung

Fri May 23, 2014 2:33 pm

I have have understand everything right the squashfs-filesystem is IN the Image, not the data-carrier of the Image.
So the USB-Stick don't have to be in suqashfs, right?
My USB is correctly recorgnized in Linux as in Windows too. But it seems to be empty when I want to select the image when berryboot should install it.....

kolossboss

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi,

I hope someone can help with converting a regular .img (rasplex-RPi2-RP-0.5.1.img and OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.0.3.img) in SquashFS using this:
http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/b ... tributions

The problem is, "loop0p2" is empty. So I can only mount an empty drive.

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ sudo kpartx -av '/home/boss/Downloads/OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.0.3.img'
[sudo] password for boss: 
add map loop0p1 (252:0): 0 524289 linear /dev/loop0 2048
add map loop0p2 (252:1): 0 65537 linear /dev/loop0 528384
[email protected] ~ $ sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 /mnt
[email protected] ~ $ sudo sed -i 's/^\/dev\/mmcblk/#\0/g' /mnt/etc/fstab
sed: could  /mnt/etc/fstab not read: File or directory not found
[email protected] ~ $
I tested this with Ubuntu 14.01 and Linux Mint 17.1 on a Parallels Machine on MacOS 10.10.2.

greetings

burricios

Thu May 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi,
Does berryboot have python support? And also, is it possible to run a script every time a BerryBoot RPi is started? I would like to run a python (or similar, if unsupported) script on startup in order to control the BerryBoot menu.

Thanks!

Koofteh

Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Does anyone know how to change the default background image in Berryboot? The one with the burst of colorful lines?

I'm quite tired of it but see no way of changing it.

Using version 2.0 but didn't find a general thread for it.

Return to “General discussion”