NuIotaChi

All in One

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:34 pm

I've just finished this little project. It started as an attempt to put a Pi inside a keyboard with a built in trackpad.

I found a likely candidate from CPC for £14. However, though it's published depth was 28mm, it wasn't.
So, the next thing was to design and build a box that would accept the Pi and keyboard, together with a powered USB hub.
I found a non-powered hub in a local Poundland and noticed that it had the aperture for a power socket, though no power socket was present. I wondered if the PCB inside had the facility for external power. Well, for £1, it was worth a go. Sure enough, the circuitry was there, minus a few components. However, the 5V rail from the external power was directly connected to the 5V on the USB in.... which was a bit naughty, although easily solved by cutting the 5V wire.
A local sign maker provided the Perspex cut to size and after many hours cutting holes, filing, gluing, wire brushing and painting. This was the end result.... see pics.

Why didn't I use black Perspex? The sign makers didn't have any, so I chose red and decided to paint it, except the top edge which gives it a pretty cool red stripe :D

dan3008

Re: All in One

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:03 am

WOW

I like it. Reminds me of the old comador64 and zx spectrum. Nice craftsman ship
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

Ravenous

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 am

That's really nice. Looks like there's even room for some AA batteries in there... hmmm...

dan3008

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:09 am

Ravenous wrote:That's really nice. Looks like there's even room for some AA batteries in there... hmmm...
I'd say, that or a battery pack... mmmm, self powered all in one lol
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

NuIotaChi

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks guys :)

Yes, there's plenty of space to put some AAs. It would require regulation, but it's possible.... though I fail to see the benefit, it still requires an external screen.

Ravenous

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:04 pm

NuIotaChi wrote:though I fail to see the benefit, it still requires an external screen.
You're absolutely right, I am going through a bit of a battery fetish at the moment.

I currently have a raspi on the desk, as my Linux playground, next to my main (Windows) PC. I keep it on all the time (as the raspi uses so little power). In the same box as the raspi I have a battery pack which should keep it on through power cuts, or even if I want to unplug the thing and move it around.

So a case with space for my battery pack & DC-DC converter will be handy for me. And so many beginners come on here asking about battery backup, so a really neat keyboard all-in-one like yours would be really popular. (There was once some talk about a raspi branded keyboard & hub at one point too.)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Great Job!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

NuIotaChi

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm

The keyboard is USB. One port plugs into the keyboard, the other goes to the hub.

johnsondelbert1

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:59 am

will you build these for other people?

NuIotaChi

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:15 pm

johnsondelbert1 wrote:will you build these for other people?
With the hours of work that went into creating that one, I don't think it would be financially viable :D

However... a local computer shop and Raspi bits producer & supplier has shown a glimmer of interest in the possibilities of manufacture. I think it all comes down to how many people would want one and how much they were willing to pay.
I think the whole thing could quite easily be vacuum formed, though the red stripe may have to disappear (although I have wondered about the possibility of vacuum forming two laminated sheets).

If anyone is seriously interested in having one, it might be a good idea to add a comment below together with the price you'd be willing to pay.
If I get a positive response.... you never know :)

Return to “Other projects”