liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Your daily head/desk

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:09 pm

I don't even know where to start with this. Is it the comparison this journalist makes with an Android tablet? Is it the fact that he's bought enough expensive cables, SD cards (go through the list and see how many he ends up with) and other superfluous peripherals to start a small shop? The way he appears to be deliberately missing the point (and misleading parents who might be shopping around for something for their kids) in order to file some copy to deadline?

http://www.zdnet.com/raspberry-pi-how-i ... 000020574/

A reminder: HDMI cables, SD cards, USB keyboards and USB mice can be picked up at £1 stores, begged from a neighbour or parent, bought at your local supermarket for less than you'd spend on a bag of crisps, or found second-hand at your friendly local charity shop for pennies. You may well (and probably do) have these things in your house already. (You may have eaten the crisps.) The Raspberry Pi was specifically designed to plug into your TV, be it a swanky expensive HDMI affair or a decades-old composite outfit, so you don't have to buy a monitor. You can make a case from Lego. Or cardboard. Or, if you're really desperate and a bit morbid, YOUR OWN HAIR AND BITS OF DEAD SKIN. :roll:
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

stubright

Re: Your daily head/desk

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:22 pm

I must have been reading that article when you were posting it. My gast has never been more flabbered, well maybe that's stretching it a bit.
He buys a kit that includes a power supply and sdcard, then moans about having to spend money on an sdcard and power supply, amongst other thing. Why did he buy a usb rs232 converter? Surely a ZDnet reporter has some computer bits lying around!

Stu

liz

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:24 pm

If not that, he's almost certainly got some hair and dead skin.

paulie

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:24 pm

No doubt, as a journalist, he can spend all that money on new shiny kit.
Then claim it all back on expenses.

Sorry, am I getting cynical in my old age?
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

stubright

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:35 pm

liz wrote:If not that, he's almost certainly got some hair and dead skin.
If he doesn't have that, we could have a collection and send him some, maybe with bonus belly button fluff.
Do we send our donations to Raspberry Towers or ZDNet?
Stu

JustThisGuy

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:36 pm

He knows he's trolling. I suggest giving him none of the attention he craves.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

liz

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:36 pm

stubright wrote:
liz wrote:If not that, he's almost certainly got some hair and dead skin.
If he doesn't have that, we could have a collection and send him some, maybe with bonus belly button fluff.
Do we send our donations to Raspberry Towers or ZDNet?
Stu
To ZDNet, please. Our global distribution network is overwhelmed with $150 computers.

Douglas6

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:39 pm

"I told a friend that I have a Pi and his response was, 'Why didn't you just buy a cheap Android tablet?'"

Well, the Foundation was predicated in part on combating just this kind of attitude. It should be encouraging to be reminded you're not tilting at windmills; it's serious problem you're addressing.

I would have expected better from ZDNet, however.

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:28 am

Hey! Show some respect here! The guy´s been around long enough!!!! :lol:

BTW.... hair???? Skin???? Really????!!!!! Do you have some pictures of such a case, or...... :shock:

Heater

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:21 am

Some journalists make it their profession to be stupid.

Stupid means more comments pointing out how dumb you are. That's more clicks, more add impressions, more revenue.

Don't fall for it and reply. It only encourages the professionally stupid to be more stupid in the future.

Actually even linking to the article encourages more stupid has it drives visitors to their site and increases their rank in search engines.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

aTao

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:48 am

About Ken Hess

Kenneth 'Ken' Hess is a full-time Windows and Linux system administrator with 20 years of experience with Mac, Linux, UNIX, and Windows systems in large multi-data center environments.
Yet another BSer in IT, makes me mad. No. not mad, bloody livid. In fact its just this kind of BS that made me throw the towel in and work full time voluntary on a farm. Yup, I'd rather no pay than corporate crap.
>)))'><'(((<

Heater

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 am

aTau,
...made me throw the towel in and work full time voluntary on a farm...
Where and how did you come to do that? I'm seriously curious. Although I might not be up to serious manual labor now a days.

flyinghappy

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:07 am

Find a farm and say you will work for free, pretty sure there isn't a farmer in the US that will turn you down.
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server

Heater

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:16 am

As long as "for free" include a place to live on the farm and some food plus minimal necessities and an internet connection of course:)

Douglas6

Limited edition: Cousin It Pi case

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:29 am

This is a limited edition raspberry Pi case and is a beta version, future editions will include fingernail clippings for additional structural integrity.

Parts list:
A recent haircut
Lots of hair gel, I used L.A. Looks Absolute Styling Sport

[image removed]
Last edited by Douglas6 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

999frogs

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:36 am

Agreed the review is dumb & negative. However, he does ask "Have any of you created anything cool with the Pi? Talk back and let me know. Post a link to the project too. I'd love to see it."

Would love to see the foundation gather up the top 10/100/500 fab projects & take him at his word ! Or to make him aware of the blogs/tutorials kids have been posting, or the school kids who've been inspired by codeclub to learn & create.

Ravenous

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:43 am

Well to be fair he says it'd be great for projects, and asks people to post theirs (though that's probably another ploy to get more clicks).

But an experienced system admin who can't cobble together some used kit to get this up and running?

Maybe he lost his proper job and is supplementing his income writing poor articles online. Not everything in publishing has improved with the advent of the internet...

pjc123

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:29 am

"Especially since an Android tablet would have a virtual keyboard, no need for a mouse, a built-in monitor, built-in WiFi, and a battery that allows me to be untethered. My opinion is that anything you can do with the Pi, you could do better with something else. I'm not sure that beyond some light geekery that there's much practical benefit from using the Pi for anything besides a learning tool. Perhaps that's its true value."

How can you compare two completely different products that serve two completely different audiences......and I take offense to the term "light geekery". Now there is truth to the fact that it will cost you more to buy a pi when you are done buying all the peripherals that are necessary (if you don't already have most of them), but any supposed IT guy worth any salt would have done their research ahead of time to tell them that before they bought it, especially since this is spelled out many places. This is either sensationalism journalism or incompetence.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

redhawk

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:04 pm

Obviously if you're going to buy a Pi to use as nothing more than a computer then sure the extra peripherals would bump up the cost, however I very much doubt $200+ was necessary to achieve this.
The author also failed to mention some of the more appealing capabilities of the Pi i.e.
-GPIO and SPI interface for DIY electronics projects
-plenty of Linux driver support for USB devices of which Android has very little
-the ability to store an Operating System onto a memory card which can be swapped out or duplicated for backups, Android has no backup capability except for 3rd party tools like ClockworkMod.

Richard S.

Heater

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:20 pm

I say again, don't bother replying to his stupid blog post. He is not dumb just a "professional idiot" fishing for feedback. Responding only raises his profile not the Pi's. Better to post your interesting projects here or other tech forums where the worlds makers and doers hangout.

JoeDaStudd

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:46 pm

I don't know what to say...
Why would you buy an extra SD card, a USB to UART cable, a battery pack, usb wifi adapter and one of the more expensive wireless keyboard/mouse combos to get started?
He sounds like either a troll or someone without a clue like the BBC's Rory Cellan-Jones

SacredRose

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:50 pm

JoeDaStudd wrote:I don't know what to say...
Why would you buy an extra SD card, a USB to UART cable, a battery pack, usb wifi adapter and one of the more expensive wireless keyboard/mouse combos to get started?
He sounds like either a troll or someone without a clue like the BBC's Rory Cellan-Jones
more like somebody who is used to working with the big machines and he has absolutely no clue how something as simple as a Pi works.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:10 pm

He's up to date on Linux, Windows and OSX. There's no way he's that much of a heavy-iron zombie.

And unless he's an air-headed millionaire, it would appear that he decided to buy the most expensive gear he could get his hands on.

Maybe they said he could put it on expenses and keep it.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:22 pm

rurwin wrote:He's up to date on Linux, Windows and OSX. There's no way he's that much of a heavy-iron zombie.

And unless he's an air-headed millionaire, it would appear that he decided to buy the most expensive gear he could get his hands on.

Maybe they said he could put it on expenses and keep it.
He *says* he is up to date on those things... He's obviously not a developer - more system admin from my reading, and therefore entirely the wrong person to be doing this sort of thing. It is rather a woeful effort of an article, full of cheap jibes, misconceptions, and downright idiocy. Like someone above said, he's trolling for page hits. Which is pretty sad really. And if he isn't, well, he's a bit dim it seems to me.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Ravenous

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:34 pm

ZDNet seem to have pretty low standards these days - maybe I could get a job writing poor articles for them!

Return to “General discussion”