i want to make a game like street fighter or megaman x8 or megaman legends
and is there any guide of making games
and how to create the characters
and need it overclocking ?
thanks in advance

noob

Re: pi3d

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:38 pm

All apps in pistore are made for regular pis, so overclocking is not needed. Whats your programming experience?

nexusrex

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:17 pm

i haven't buy my pi and i haven't try python and pygame

noob

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Then its pretty hard. Look for some tutorials

nexusrex

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:56 pm

i tell me what i will google and i will do

noob

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Pi3d tutorials? Sounds logic to me

nexusrex

Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:13 pm

i have searched and i don't found any help

noob

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 pm

http://www.raspians.com/Knowledgebase/p ... th-python/ first when googling, how hard can it be

nexusrex

Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:15 am

now my problems
how to create the objects of the game like the characters , the world
how to program the game
and how to make some menus

paddyg

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:45 pm

We've recently changed things a bit (a lot relative to that last link) The demos are all in a different place from the raw package now. I would suggest looking here, to see about downloading and installing. Unless you want to hack the pi3d source I would suggest using one of the first two 'install' methods.

You need to get all the demo files from here, download and unzip them. If you 'installed' pi3d then they should just run, if you just added the source code in your own location then you need to change the path in the demo.py file in the demos directory.

Look through the demos in the order: Minimal, Shapes, Earth, LoadModelObj, ForestWalk, Water there are lots of ways of doing things but it's good to grasp the basic structure first. A link to the pi3d forum should appear as my signature below this post! Also read this and this when you get chance (and if you have a question that may be answered there)
also https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB&fromgroups=#!forum/pi3d

nexusrex

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:02 pm

paddyg wrote:We've recently changed things a bit (a lot relative to that last link) The demos are all in a different place from the raw package now. I would suggest looking here, to see about downloading and installing. Unless you want to hack the pi3d source I would suggest using one of the first two 'install' methods.

You need to get all the demo files from here, download and unzip them. If you 'installed' pi3d then they should just run, if you just added the source code in your own location then you need to change the path in the demo.py file in the demos directory.

Look through the demos in the order: Minimal, Shapes, Earth, LoadModelObj, ForestWalk, Water there are lots of ways of doing things but it's good to grasp the basic structure first. A link to the pi3d forum should appear as my signature below this post! Also read this and this when you get chance (and if you have a question that may be answered there)
now what i understand is to make my 3d characters i will need blender
can i use pygame and python to program the game
like button d make the character move to right

noob

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Yes you can use python, but not blender, i do'nt know if theres a pi compatible equivalent.
Maybe you can wait till youve got your pi and experiment with it.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:59 pm

noob wrote:Yes you can use python, but not blender, i do'nt know if theres a pi compatible equivalent.
You can use Blender to create and edit 3-D models on a higher-powered computer such as an x86-based Linux, Mac, or Windows system made within the last five years, or so. Then, you can export them in the file format that Pi3D can import and display and manipulate them within Pi3D-based Python programs running on the Pi.

There may be some features that Blender uses to apply effects to the surface of a model that may not survive the export/import process, but you should be able to work around most of those in Pi3D using shaders, although that will be a bit more advanced than you'll be ready for as a newbie.

I'm in the process of developing Pi-finity!, a massively-multiuser, on-line, role-playing game (MMORPG) that will be used to teach STEM subjects as well as developing software on the Pi using Pi3D and Python. The source for the alpha-level quality version will be available by early 2014 as the Pi3D software has been changing and improving radically over the past year-plus. I hope to have at least a canned demo of vehicle movement through 3-D space from the galactic level (the Milky Way spiral galaxy) down to local planetary surface level (and interstellar and interplanetary levels in-between) by October.

In the meantime, when you receive your Pi and have installed the Raspbian OS on it via the NOOBS installer, then install Pi3D and the demos and play around with the demo code to see how things work (start with changing some numbers and see what effects they have, such as coordinates, sizes, colors, etc.). The next thing you know, you'll be developing your game and running it! Although it's written in C directly using the more powerful, but complex OpenGL ES (used by Pi3D), PenguinsPuzzle (http://penguinspuzzle.appspot.com) will show you the kind of 3-D graphics and games that are possible on the Pi.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

paddyg

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:37 pm

Jim, good to hear that pifinity is still progressing. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

If there's anything I can contribute (beyond getting pi3d stable and capable) let me know.

Paddy

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:51 am

paddyg wrote:Jim, good to hear that pifinity is still progressing. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.
If there's anything I can contribute (beyond getting pi3d stable and capable) let me know. Paddy
Aaaaah, stable, schmable ... I want features, dammit, Scotty ... I mean Paddy ... and I want them yesterday! :lol:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

paddyg

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:37 am

Any reasonable feature request considered. If submitted on paper in triplicate and duly endorsed by five stalwart citizens (ideally senators but senior partners of sufficiently large firms of attorneys may do)

nexusrex

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:02 am

Jim Manley wrote:
noob wrote:Yes you can use python, but not blender, i do'nt know if theres a pi compatible equivalent.
You can use Blender to create and edit 3-D models on a higher-powered computer such as an x86-based Linux, Mac, or Windows system made within the last five years, or so. Then, you can export them in the file format that Pi3D can import and display and manipulate them within Pi3D-based Python programs running on the Pi.

There may be some features that Blender uses to apply effects to the surface of a model that may not survive the export/import process, but you should be able to work around most of those in Pi3D using shaders, although that will be a bit more advanced than you'll be ready for as a newbie.

I'm in the process of developing Pi-finity!, a massively-multiuser, on-line, role-playing game (MMORPG) that will be used to teach STEM subjects as well as developing software on the Pi using Pi3D and Python. The source for the alpha-level quality version will be available by early 2014 as the Pi3D software has been changing and improving radically over the past year-plus. I hope to have at least a canned demo of vehicle movement through 3-D space from the galactic level (the Milky Way spiral galaxy) down to local planetary surface level (and interstellar and interplanetary levels in-between) by October.

In the meantime, when you receive your Pi and have installed the Raspbian OS on it via the NOOBS installer, then install Pi3D and the demos and play around with the demo code to see how things work (start with changing some numbers and see what effects they have, such as coordinates, sizes, colors, etc.). The next thing you know, you'll be developing your game and running it! Although it's written in C directly using the more powerful, but complex OpenGL ES (used by Pi3D), PenguinsPuzzle (http://penguinspuzzle.appspot.com) will show you the kind of 3-D graphics and games that are possible on the Pi.
thanks
but why NOOBS and i want also xbmc and i will download it from 3rd apt repo
now my questions about the game
1- will i need pygame with python
2- can i make a movie intro and a little videos after beating an enemy like in megaman x4 , x5 , x6 , x7 , x8
3- to program the characters will i use python or pygame
and good luck for your rpg
for me i will make a game named
Megaman X Noise Overload

mrpi64

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:39 pm

nexusrex wrote:can i use pi3d on making games with python
and it's hard or no
thanks in advance
I reccoment programming in C, or C++ if you want to make a game for the Pi. Pi3D is really annoying, and harder than programming normal python using the PyGame module.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

nexusrex

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:26 pm

mrpi64 wrote:
nexusrex wrote:can i use pi3d on making games with python
and it's hard or no
thanks in advance
I reccoment programming in C, or C++ if you want to make a game for the Pi. Pi3D is really annoying, and harder than programming normal python using the PyGame module.
!!!Really!!!

paddyg

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:11 pm

Well writing a game is **hard**, typically it will take a team of experienced programmers and graphic artists thousands of hours and they will utilise vast amounts of pre-written material. For a good 3D game the majority of the programmers will have a good grasp of trigonometry, vectors and matrices, and will eat dot and cross products for breakfast.

pi3d probably doesn't have quite as much 'wrapper' round the underlying machinery which makes it harder to start with than pygame, say, but it is also more flexible. Programming in C and C++ is significantly harder, less forgiving and less productive than programming in python. pygame graphics are 2D and a lot slower than pi3d but that might be sufficient for a starter project.

nexusrex

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:30 am

after making the gaming pi
i will learn python and pygame
then i will try to change the number and trying to learn the secrets
then i will make my game
and when i will make my game will make a part like
part 1- the story
part 2- making the objects on paper
etc....

paddyg

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:22 pm

Jim Hi, I don't know how far you've got with your pifinity idea but there's a local Raspberry jam with the theme 'Yorkshire Mission to Mars' soon so I thought I would dig out something spacey. I used github.com/astornexus/HYG-Database data and it's amazingly smooth, patching in the local 20,000 most visible stars every couple of seconds. Anyway the code's in the github.com/pi3d/pi3d_demos/Starfield.py on the develop branch (but needs the csv data and a modified shader). I've put a demo here https://youtu.be/jc6yaUcfc1w

Paddy

Return to “Gaming”