chnyc

Installing Linphone on RPi

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:51 pm

So, I've been trying to wrangle and compile from source the VOIP app Linphone, hoping to install it on my RPi. However, I've had nothing but trouble getting it to compile. The README files with Linphone are incredibly incomplete and opaque. And the app's development team isn't the most reliable about responding to queries.

A few quick questions:

1) Has anyone successfully compiled from source and installed a current version of Linphone on their RPi? If so, would you mind sharing your steps?
2) Do you know if the compile assumes that java is installed on the RPi?

Thanks for any thoughts and guidance.
CharlesH

Oakham

Re: Installing Linphone on RPi

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:12 pm

Previously SiP SoftPhone was discussed in this thread

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... t=linphone
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

chnyc

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Hello Oakham,

I had seen that thread before, but was starting a new one that was Linphone-specific. I'm still investigating the best way to get Linphone -- or any video-enabled SIP client -- compiled, installed, and running successfully on RPi B. Still no luck, unfortunately.

Thanks for the reminder link.
Charles

Oakham

Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Debian do list for ARMHF

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/linphone

It is in the repositories so do not why it will not apt-get install

So there must be a reason it will not work !

OtherCrashOverride

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:36 pm

My guess would be that it supports ARMv7 but not the ARMv6 in the PI. It has codec dependencies such as h.264 which typically depend on the SIMD features of the more advanced v7 processor. Additionally, since it does not use the PI hardware acceleration for video encode/decode, it would probably be unbearably slow if it did work.

chnyc

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Yes, I do know that there's a compiled Linphone binary that does somewhat work on the RPi. The problem with the pre-compiled version is that it doesn't have video functionality enabled, and it's missing several optimized codecs. I did already test it on my RPi and know this is the case.

In order to get the version I need for my project (specifically video calling), it's my understanding that you have to build Linphone from source. That's been my challenge: the documentation for compiling and installing is thin; the causes of errors are difficult to track down, and I've had a truckload of them.

So, I'm still hoping there are some RPi-ites out there who've assembled Linphone recently from source and who might be able to provide some guidance on a successful build.

Thanks for the follow up.
Charles

Oakham

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:25 am

Checked Arch Repositories it states armv6 community linphone 3.6.1-1 A Voice-over-IP phone which is latest release.

tiger79

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:39 am

Any news about this by any chance ?
A good running version perhaps ? Because with the standard compiled version even the audio is unbearable :(

chnyc

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:50 am

Unfortunately, I've thrown in the towel with the RPi on this specific use case. I was able to finally compile and install Linphone -- somewhat successfully -- but never got it to play back sound and picture at an acceptable level. Hate to say it...but I've turned to the Beaglebone Black for the moment. I'm building a working prototype for an embedded video chat device and have to have smooth audio and video.

If anyone has any better outcome on the RPi, I'd love to hear about it.

Charles

Oakham

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:24 am

tiger79 wrote:Any news about this by any chance ?
A good running version perhaps ? Because with the standard compiled version even the audio is unbearable :(
Did you install ArchLinuxArm, which has the latest version of LinPhone in repositories, or are you referencing an install on Raspbian Wheezy ?

mikeybsae

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:03 pm

I would like to get a sip client running on raspbian that will autoanswer all incoming calls. It will be used for intercom type functionality. The RPi will not have a microphone, it will only play the audio of the incoming call.

I tried using linphone with the CLI linphonec. It starts and registers properly with freepbx running on another machine, but it crashes on me immediately when a call connects without giving me any feedback. The CLI just freezes. I have to kill -9 the linphonec PID to get it to die.

I am running fully updated raspbian and I installed linphone from the regular repos using "apt-get install linphone". Do I need to build from source instead? All I want is audio out on the analog audio of the Pi. Am I have an issue because there is no sound input? Do I need a mic?

Can anyone provide any help or suggestions?

wimdv

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Oakham wrote:
tiger79 wrote:Any news about this by any chance ?
Did you install ArchLinuxArm, which has the latest version of LinPhone in repositories, or are you referencing an install on Raspbian Wheezy ?
Oakham,

Did you get it to work with ArchLinuxArm?

Im having the same issues as tiger79 when i install linphone on Raspbian.
I installed a USB soundcard and configured to use it in linphone. The audio in is transmitted ok when i make calls, the ringer sounds nice, but the audio in is bad.

So it seems like it's having issues decoding g711.

It would be nice to know if you tested it on ArchLinuxArm.

mikeybsae,
I had the same problem but when i configured to use the usb soundcard it no longer crashed. Maybe the problem is indeed that there's no capture device.
But now i have bad audio in on calls...

sureshr23

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:01 pm

Friends,

I just got my first Raspi Model B running and I am trying to use Linphone over Raspbian Wheezy.

The phone registers to my SIP proxy (an Avaya Session Manager). When I try making a call from Linphone to Xlite/Bria or an Avaya SIP user agent, the call does ring on the other end and I can answer the call, but Linphone freezes and I have to force shut it.

I ran a SIP trace on the Raspi (using wireshark) and on the SIP proxy. The SIP trace on the SIP proxy shows that Xlite/Bria receives the INVITE (from Linphone), and sends out a 100 Trying, 180 Ringing. No 200 OK and no ACK but I see an "RTP" message and the call hangs there.

Any clue on what may be going wrong here?

Cheers!
Suresh

chnyc

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:01 pm

sureshr23 wrote:Friends,

I just got my first Raspi Model B running and I am trying to use Linphone over Raspbian Wheezy.

The phone registers to my SIP proxy (an Avaya Session Manager). When I try making a call from Linphone to Xlite/Bria or an Avaya SIP user agent, the call does ring on the other end and I can answer the call, but Linphone freezes and I have to force shut it.

I ran a SIP trace on the Raspi (using wireshark) and on the SIP proxy. The SIP trace on the SIP proxy shows that Xlite/Bria receives the INVITE (from Linphone), and sends out a 100 Trying, 180 Ringing. No 200 OK and no ACK but I see an "RTP" message and the call hangs there.

Any clue on what may be going wrong here?

Cheers!
Suresh
Hi Suresh,

I spent many hours trying to get the Pi to run Linphone properly as a video chat option. I even tested it with voice only. I really like Linphone's CML functionality, so it seemed like it was worth the effort.

However, I never had any success with Linphone on the RPi. I'm convinced the board's too underpowered. I'd still love to be proven wrong... Have you looked at CPU usage when Linphone's running?

Charles

ryanp

Mon May 05, 2014 10:49 pm

I have managed to run Linphone on the RPi. Built it from source (git master), along with all the dependencies. I did this as part of a program I am writing using liblinphone, and I did notice some differences between the Linphone app and my app.

Linphone:
Successfully registers with SIP proxy (Asterisk)
Can place and receive calls (via proxy or direct)
No video (send or receive)
Audio playback stutters, but works

liblinphone:
Successfully registers with SIP proxy (Asterisk)
Can place calls (via proxy or direct) - did not test receiving as that is not part of my app
Video sends properly - sent video does lag, but it is a mostly constant lag of around 1-2 seconds
Video probably receives, but liblinphone fails to open an X11 window to display
Audio stutters less frequently than with Linphone - but audio frames are not dropped when stuttering, which adds up over time introducing high audio latency (20+ seconds)
Audio sends perfectly (no latency)

CPU runs constantly at 100% while on a call. Doesn't seem to matter if the call includes video or not, either way it runs at 100% and using video didn't seem to affect the audio latency issue. Other audio works fine - playing an MP3 via VLC does not stutter at all. I also tested with both ALSA and PulseAudio - no difference. I also tested using a USB headset (to bypass the RPi audio chipset) - again, no difference.

I just asked someone to order a BeagleBone Black for me to compare and see if I can fix this audio issue, since I don't really need the RPi's GPU for this project.

kittycat34

Wed May 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi ryanp,

I'm myself planning on developping a program based on liblinphone, and noticed the same issues with the pre-built of linphone. I tried to compile the lastest version (apt-get install gives me an outdated version), and found out that the reason the audio stutters that much is because of the Speex lib (used by linphone). You can compile Speex with the "---disable-float-api" and "--disable-vbr" options, which supposedly greatly improve performances (like 10 times faster according to google).

On the wrong side, I haven't been able to compile linphone as a whole, since belle-sip refuses to compile on my RPi (nullpointerjavaexception at some point). Thus, haven't been able to confirm this theory just yet.

Which procedure did you follow in order to make it compile ?

Thanks for the follow up !

Return to “Advanced users”